THR Hip replacement

zee

Country
United States United States
i had surgery on April 17 2019. I still have issues with swelling and pain from my knee to my hip. I thought I could walk without my cane but found out that I still need my cane. Been almost 4 weeks out is this normal? I’m getting very depressed about the whole thing.

Hello,
Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us and congratulations on your new hip.
Wondering if you've iced at all since your surgery? Icing not only relieves swelling, but pain also.
If you haven't been icing, please begin icing any / all swollen or painful areas and don't worry, you're not alone in this, swelling can take up to months to resolve. When icing, do so for 40-60 minutes per session, no less. Target 4x daily.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

Also elevate, toes above nose, it should help with swelling -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/

Try not to get depressed, what you're experiencing is felt by many. Wondering if you're still taking meds for pain and if so, what and how often? The forum Nurse may be able to advise on that if you let us know what you're taking, otherwise you need to phone the office of your OS and have your meds adjusted.

Many are on a cane at 4 weeks post op. You should use an assistive device for as long as you're limping, or feeling the need for the added security. I'm wondering if you've had a follow up visit with your OS yet and raised any of your concerns? If not, hopefully you have one scheduled soon as I believe you'd receive reassurance that all you're experiencing is normal given you're only one month post op.

Please leave the exact date of your surgery and which hip was replaced below. The info will be applied as your signature.

Check out the Recovery Guidelines and pay special attention to the Big Tip toward the bottom of the page. Stop back often, you're never alone here and we'd love to follow your journey and offer support and encouragement along the way.

Wishing you a peaceful day!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfo
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @zee

You may be experiencing a bit of the Post Op Blues too.
Read that article above in the Recovery Guidelines.
Know that it's normally fleeting, definitely only temporary, so hang in there, it's all going to be alright :console2:
@zee

@zee I was actually still using the walker at 4 weeks and continued with it until week 6 before I finally graduated to the cane. Everyone on here is different; some were done with the walker and cane within the first week or two! That seems lucky! What you are describing isn't unusual. Keep using it until your walk is perfected, no limping etc. There's no time frame for this!

I have had anterior on my right hip. I never really took any pain meds I’ve just been on Motrin 2 to 3 times a day 800 mg. The surgery was April 17

It takes a while for the entire body to recover and the hip. I was told to use a walker for about 2 weeks at least to get the walking smoothed out after limping and hurting. After that I used a cane for a while so that I could concentrate on re learning to walk. Swelling can continue especially if you try to be more active than your hip wants. Please see the articles on icing and elevation - it really does help. The extra rest also helps the rest of our bodies and minds recover from the trauma of a major surgery. It is still really early for you in the recovery stage.

@zee Four weeks out is still very early days post op. Use whatever walking aid you are comfortable with that does not cause you to limp. Ice and elevation will reduce any swelling that is causing you pain. The articles Layla left you should give you some guidelines on the timeframe for activity and healing.

Please consider trying Tylenol at its maximum dose vs NSAIDS like ibuprofen. Ice is a great anti-inflammatory and pain reliever so keep it going as much as you can!:ice:
One month out is prime time for getting sick of this recovery business and post op blues, but as Jaycey said...still early days.
Patience is prescribed in large doses.
All sounds very normal and familiar:sigh:
Keep the faith...hope today is a good day!:flwrysmile:

Hi @zee I had my surgery April 4th. I still use a walker in the night for safety and a cane during the day. Just yesterday I started being able to walk 20-30 steps with no aide until I could feel myself starting to limp. Don't push yourself; it can slow your recovery down in the long term if you are walking with no aide too soon.
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom