THR Hip Replacement Rehab Film

Thank you for this detailed explanation @Gmanclimbs. It definitely added perspective to your video. I think sometimes it’s easy to want to compare ourselves to others online, but helps to remember that we’re not always getting the full picture. I sadly was not in particularly great physical shape pre-op thanks to having two kids in five years (less time to exercise) plus increasing arthritis pain and restricted mobility over that time. But I hope to slowly work back up to hiking and swimming and spinning. For now I’d be happy to be able to walk around the block! Trying my best to have patience since I know we all recover at different speeds. Thanks again for sharing! Coincidentally, my husband is working on a video of my recovery that I hope to share someday too..

@LAbabymama Look forward to seeing your recovery video. Particularly the bits with you hiking!

Just had a read through your recovery thread. I see it's still really early days for you. Hope you're having a good day. Incidentally, if I was to do anything differently now, it would be to stay on my pain meds for longer than I did.

Thank you for the more in depth explanation. I am truly in awe as your recovery is amazing.
I also appreciate your concern in not wanting to inadvertently encourage anyone here to do too much. While you quickly achieved more than most, your accomplishments were measured and it seems you respected your surgeon's guidance. I also appreciate how respectful you are of others opinions and commentary. You're a very pleasant person to have an exchange with.

It could be argued that, anecdotally, my experience supports a common hypothesis that training other parts of the body helps speed up the recovery in injured areas. Any thoughts?

I am not a medical professional but my only thought on this would be...a question actually, does training other parts of the body during recovery, use / waste energy that would have otherwise benefitted healing faster? I truly don't know...

A great Sunday evening to you!
@Gmanclimbs

@Layla Its an interesting question to which I also have no definitive answer. I suppose my natural bias is to assume increased overall strength and conditioning would be beneficial to overall recovery. I am however, open to considering the possibility that doing so at that particular point in the window of recovery could potentially be detrimental. It would indeed be interesting to get some medical opinions on whether, for instance, doing pull-ups two weeks after THR had a negative impact on recovery as a whole. I'm sure there would be many contradictory views as this would seem to me to be extremely difficult to quantify. For me, I'm perfectly happy to accept that any benefit may have been purely psychological. In some ways though, that's enough if it puts a person in a better mental state. A bit like placebo.

Great follow on posts, @Gmanclimbs. You have had a successful recovery and have followed BoneSmart's recovery philosophy very well. The extra detail about your recovery will put things in proper perspective for those coming along to view your video and read about your recovery. I have a question to ask you that I'll address in a Personal Message (PM).

:wave:Very inspirational...how this surgery gets us back to life in a big way!:yahoo:
I must admit I shuddered when I saw you on the bars so soon...just thought "what if his hands slip and he falls?"
:scaredycat:
I would have been telling you to get your behind down on the off chance there was a sudden dizzy spell or something that could possibly cause an accident.
But in the end, we must trust our instincts and your fitness level prior to surgery must've given you an confidence to proceed.
It is wonderful you have been able to achieve so much so quickly after THR.:)

@Mojo333 Hahaha. I never even thought about the hands slipping. During those early stages, I think the times when I felt most vulnerable was when getting out of my chair or bed. This was generally quite painful and sometimes accompanied by a bit of dizziness. Once up and about, walking around on crutches and doing bits of exercise usually felt OK.

I've always considered myself very brave, but after having g my hips replaced...and getting through the initial tough stuff..
I did feel anxious that my new-found good fortune would be quashed by some dumb accident.
There is nothing we can't do with new hips..
Thanks for sharing your success story.

Most new hippy's ... Do Not Try This At Home!:heehee:

@SurreyGirl Did a couple of giant strides when diving yesterday. All good with no issues in the hip. The drop was about 1m.

He swims oceans, climbs mountains and leaps tall buildings in a single bound
It's.....BoneSmarts own Gman!! :yes!: :yay:
Stay safe in your adventures. Your an interesting anomaly here.
Happy Sunday!
@Gmanclimbs

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie