THR hip replacement recommended and I am terrified.

myra

Country
United States United States
hi. i ve been fighting hip injury for a year and one half after hurting myself lifting my dear 66 pound dog after she collapsed. had stem cell 2x. physical therapy. and finally now the doc said osteoarthritis and should go to ortho doc and be evaluated for hip surgery. hoping maybe can get hip resurfacing. waiting for appointment so posting here to see if anyone else has considered or been recommended for the hip resurfacing vs. replacement. like other people on this site, im terrified. . .

I can just speak for myself-- I fought the idea of hip surgery for almost a year and researched every other option possible. I consulted with two different surgeons and interviewed several physical therapists and other people who had hip surgery. I finally came to the decision to go for it and wish I had just gotten off the stick and had the surgery.

Welcome to bonesmart. I am glad you found us. There is much information on the site and others may pop in and offer their perspectives. I did not consider hip resurfacing as I wanted a definite solution so went with the total hip replacement which is a definite solution. Hip resurfacing is not always an option depending on the extent of the arthritis. There are others on here that have had resurfacing and may offer opinions or you can do a search and find their recovery threads.

HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Welcome @myra ! Terrified is common, but there really is no need. You're of an age where a THR could certainly last you all your life!

Have a read around the forums and the library. Read the recovery side-- you will see that it's common for people to wish they had done it sooner. It's a common surgery with a very high success rate.

Being terrified is normal and it is a pretty big operation. I didn't have any options of a resurface, didn't know what it was until reading here.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back