Hip Replacement on 12/09/09 due to AVN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loreli

I'm having my hip done on 12/09/09- I have put this off since 1997 and I'm so nervous!

I had LCP as a child and now have the AVN in the same hip- anyone else out there with a similar situation? When I was diagnosed in 1997 my doc told me to wait until I couldn't stand the pain because a hip replacement was only good for 15 years and I was only 30 years old. :shk:

I'm having a torn meniscus repaired on 10/30/09 (doc said it had to be done before he could do the hip) and then on to the hip.

Loreli, welcome to Bonesmart! Glad you decided to join the forum. We have a large group of hip and knee members who are here to befriend and support you both before and after surgery.

I have a question for you....is it the same doctor doing your knee and hip surgery??? Is this the same doctor that told you to wait until you couldn't stand it anymore and that the hip would only last for 15 years?

Quite frankly, we have a fair number of members in their 20's and 30's here on the forum who are happily enjoying their new hips.

Hi and welcome im a knee but i really wish you the best and believe you will be happy you did this post anytime.........)good luck to you............

Loreli, welcome to Bonesmart! Glad you decided to join the forum. We have a large group of hip and knee members who are here to befriend and support you both before and after surgery.

I have a question for you....is it the same doctor doing your knee and hip surgery??? Is this the same doctor that told you to wait until you couldn't stand it anymore and that the hip would only last for 15 years?

Quite frankly, we have a fair number of members in their 20's and 30's here on the forum who are happily enjoying their new hips.

The same doc is doing both- but it is not the original doctor. This doc is trained in the minimally invasive 24hr hip- that is what I am having.
I can't say I regret waiting- since this new surgery seems to be so much easier to recover from.

loreli,
Welcome., I've had a new hip put in the traditional posterior incision. Love my new hip. the same surgeon also did some work on my knee, same side. I love him too!!!
YOu will be so happy. I"m just sorry you had to wait so long and be in pain for so long. I had some annoying pain for at least 15 years, it got more severe, I had a hip scope and then the replacement within 6 months.
judy

Well, I'm certainly glad that you no longer see the surgeon that told you to keep waiting! Good that you moved on.

Me too! BIG red flags waving there!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_smilieflag.jpg

Loreli,

Welcome to Bonesmart. I'm having my hip replaced on Dec 14th so we will be recovering together through the holidays. Unfortunately, I have to have my surgery the old fashioned way as I have some metal in my hip that will need to be removed. Your lucky to be able to have MIS.

I had Congenital Hip Displasure as a kid, and went through lots of surgeries. When i was 30, my doc recommended that i have it done, he said because my pelvic bone was disintigrating. Anyway I had it done, that was in 1997. I had to have two hip replacement Revision surgeries, one partly because he cemented the hip in instead of putting it in with screws. They usually only now do that to much older patients. Anyway, very good luck to you and this is the best decision you will make. I had so much pain, and after the THR, i will tell you quite honestly after the recoop, i feel so much better, Mind you i still have aches, 3 years after having my last revision, but its a heck of a lot better than it was prior to the THR!!

AND A HUGE WELCOME TO YOU!!!!!!!
Deb

Loreli,

Welcome to Bonesmart. I'm having my hip replaced on Dec 14th so we will be recovering together through the holidays. Unfortunately, I have to have my surgery the old fashioned way as I have some metal in my hip that will need to be removed. Your lucky to be able to have MIS.

We can be Recovery Buddies! LOL

Hey I'm hoping your replacement went well Loreli i'm in a countdown of 14 days till mine... ARGH! How did yours go??? How are you now? :) My replacements (both hips) are due to AVN as a result of the steroids used in my Leukeamia Cheomotherapy protocol... Good ol docs not lookin out for what they should.. was complaining of bone pain for 9 months before he took me seriously and had me checked out... said it was "in my head". Nice guy :P hehe. But do tell , how are you going? :D

Not til December for me! I am having a torn meniscus repaired tomorrow though! My cousin had her hip done on 10/13 and is doing FANTASTIC! I have my hopes up for a similar outcome!
Let me know how you make out... and I HAVE to ask... your screen name... Disney Fan? I am BIG TIME! Plan on celebrating my mobility with a trip next year!!!

Hi Loreli,
Iam scheduled for the 9th December 2009 also, lets see who can run the marathon first! LOL
Ronnie:thmb:

Gee! Doesn't that just remind you of the old couple that waited til they could afford to buy their first house? Heavens! Getting the replacement will be the BEST thing you can do for YOURSELF!!!! Live your life NOW!!!! :evil::doh::wink:

I have my wonderful hip, but am having spine surgery on Dec 11th. We can all be recovering together.
judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back