THR Hip replacement looming

Nanny7

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hip replacement booked for October 8th very nervous.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us!
Please share which hip will be replaced so we can add that info to your signature.
Preparing for major surgery is anxiety producing, no doubt, but you will get through it. I understand as do many here, through personal experience. I'm happy you found us because you will find a lot of comfort and support here. If you care to be more specific about what frightens you most, we may be able to offer some reassurance. You are in good company here because there are several undergoing surgery in October and even a few who like you, just joined this week expressing their anxiety.
Check out Hip Replacement about 10 days away & so very anxious Panicgirl 63 who is having surgery the same day as you as well as Suedeboots's pre-op anxiety and you may feel comforted through the responses they received. I will leave some Pre-op info below. Disregard any that doesn't apply as you are nearing your scheduled date. Sending a hug and best wishes for your comfort and peace of mind.

HIP PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries

I am having my left hip replaced and I think what worries me most is the spinal anaesthetic

I didn't like the thought either, but it was quick and easy. In my case they sat me up and had me resting / leaning my arms on a pillow on a bed cart. They use an anesthetic before the needle and I honestly don't even recall if I felt a needle prick. It was that easy and uneventful. They told me I would feel a numbness and I did almost immediately, like a warmth, travel down my legs. They laid me down and it was "lights out" until I awoke in disbelief I was in recovery and it was ALL already over!! I am sure you'll hear from others also, so check back often.

Thank you for your reply it is reassuring to hear from someone who has been through it.

You're welcome. Keep sharing your concerns here because we understand and it does help to reflect back on other's responses when the anxiety ramps up. :console2:

Nanny7,
For me, an IV was started in the pre-op area. I was taken to the surgical suite, and asked to sit up on the bed/table and bend forward. My next memory is being in the recovery room with a shiny new hip.
Within hours of surgery, I was up and walking, did the required tasks for discharge, and went home.

My experience was similar to what @Layla and @subie2021 described. I was seated on the surgical table, with a (large, male) nurse standing in front of me. He put his arms under mind and I was instructed to lean forward against him. I heard the anesthesiologist say, "I'm going to start the...." and that was it until I woke up in recovery.

I've had general anesthesia in the past and thought the spinal was much better!

Hi Nanny7,

I am also getting my hip replaced on October 8th. I am right there with you. Very anxious and nervous. I'm trying to keep busy to keep my mind off of it. I never had surgery before and this is a big one. I've been suffering for a decade and finally decided to do something about it. I hope all goes well for you. If you need to talk, I'm here.

I hope all goes well for you. If you need to talk, I'm here.
Aww, so heartwarming and exactly why I love this forum! One in the US, one in the UK bonding over their upcoming surgeries. The is so sweet to me. :loveshwr:

Thank you for all your replies, it really helps. Panic girl 63 we will do this together, not long beire we are saying all over and done with.

Thank you, Nanny7. I am feeling anxious, but trying to remember that this will help me live again. I have been suffering for a decade. Yes, we will get thru this somehow. Please feel free to message me anytime.

I’m having my second hip replaced on 10th October, my first hip was replaced in July. I’m not anxious this time because the result of the first surgery is amazing, all the pain and disability is gone along with everything that went along with it - the hopelessness, worry, upset, fear. That all went as well, how brilliant is that.

OK, the first few days were a bit uncomfortable, but nothing like the pain I had before.

I’m right along with you @Panicgirl63 and @Nanny7, we’ll do it together.

Thank you for the reply it is comforting to hear from someone who has been there hope all goes well for you this time

It is great to see the worldwide support.

Wishing everyone a quick recovery :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks