THR Hip replacement lifespan

mitchmcc

Country
United States United States
I had my left hip replaced 5 years ago.. anterior approach, very happy with it. Although I know many people return to sports like tennis (that was mine), I decided that I would rather give it up than stress the new joint.

In the meantime, over the last year or so, I have been walking a lot, trying to get 10,000 steps per day. Just in the time I have been using my phone app to count, I have walked 4.5M+ steps, which is 1760 miles.

In the last few days, I have noticed my left leg being a little "shaky"... I am not in pain, but still feel a very slight limp.

My question is: could I be over-doing it, even though I am "just" walking?

Thanks to all in advance!

Mitch

@mitchmcc Welcome to BoneSmart! What was the date of your THR? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

Sounds like you are really pushing that hip. Why 10K steps per day? I think your leg is telling you to back off a bit. Do shorter walks allow this to ease?

I would be very surprised if you have compromised the implant. These things last 30+ years these days. But you are right, high impact sports may result in a shorter lifespan.

Thank you, Jacey... I had mine done Nov. 2015.

I really just picked 10K because it is a common amount and because I do look at
it as exercise, and it helps keep the weight down. I will back it off, as you suggested,
and see what happens. It is *not* very bad, but I did seem to notice it recently.

Mitch

When I was researching similar question I found that walking seemed to be one of the activities allowed without restriction. I too average around 10K steps a day (not all at once) which is about 5 miles. I also do some stationary biking at the gym. These are low impact exercises and hopefully our minds can rest easy that we are not overdoing it. Like you the thought has crossed my mind regarding long term wear. However, staying somewhat active was also the reason I had the surgery :). Jaycey's advice is sound, lay off for a couple days and see if it makes a difference. Hopefully it is just a temporary muscle issue. Healing thoughts coming your way.

Another thing to consider @mitchmcc is where you are getting your steps. 10,000 steps on uneven ground takes a lot more effort than it does to walk the same distance on flat level ground.

Fortunately, I live near the beach, so no climbing is necessary. :loll:

Walking on sand is definitely a bigger workout than flat hard ground, but I'd take that everyday of the week vs walking anywhere else! My sandy walks will begin in mid January and I can't wait.:walking:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom