• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Hip Replacement information (Aussie)

OP
OP
A

AussieHipster

Country
Australia Australia
The surgery is taking place on the 29th January. I can't wait, as I'm rather severe amounts of pain due to the top of my femur collapsing. The painkillers I'm on are quite strong (2 x 30mg Targin in the morning and night, along with 4 x 10mg oxycodone through the day), and they make me sleepy and nauseous.

Thanks for your suggestions, especially to Skydove's comprehensive list. I'm getting the Exeter Trident with a titanium femur implant and ceramic hip joint. It'll be done with robotic assistance, and I will have to lie on my left side during the surgery, so I assume he'll come in through the side of the leg. This is fine for my sleep, as I tend to sleep mainly on my stomach.

Will let you know more info as I get it!

leejaa

supremo
Country
United States United States
Congratulations on getting a date and one so soon though not soon enough ever when in pain. It does give you time to get house prepped for recovery. Lots of ideas on this site and most likely from your OS and hospital as to what will be needed to be most comfortable.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@AussieHipster :wave:
Congratulations on setting your surgery date and getting ready to reclaim your activities with your shiny new hip.
I remember the frustrations of waiting when in such pain.. hopefully the remainder of the month goes by quickly and soon you will be posting on the recovery side.
Of course we will need to teach you the special handshake before you are allowed there :rotfl:
just kidding, but since you are a diver I figure you have a good sense of humour.
I found that most of my questions were answered just by reading the recovery threads and also reading the Library topics.. thanks to those I was so well prepared and quite comfortable in my home. I remember my first recovery as a very special time.
My absolute favorite recovery aid was the lift chair/recliner. I slept in that for the first 2 weeks, at least and spent much of my time there. I didn't buy one, I rented one from the home health store.. they delivered it , set it up and when I was finished with it, returned to my home and took it back.

Last edited:

Skydove

Country
Australia Australia
Although some approaches have a more rapid recovery rate than others and a lower rate for dislocation. So worthwhile checking them out first.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
so I assume he'll come in through the side of the leg. This is fine for my sleep, as I tend to sleep mainly on my stomach.
I really don't think stomach sleeping is a good idea regardless of the approach. Your quads are going to be sore, is my guess.
My absolute favorite recovery aid was the lift chair/recliner.
Only way I could get comfy.
I bought a nice used one and have adopted it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kmcg
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom