Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

It's the Overdid It Club...and not somewhere we want to be.:sigh:
I agree with Layla that the Nustep could be aggravating something.
It engages your calves, quads, and glutes.
Here's a great article that can explain some things to watch for
Muscle guarding
Josephine will surely let you know if it sounds like bursitis but until then, please try to baby it some.

9 months since your last revision..still possible to make things complain.
I'm sure new complaining must make you anxious after all you've been through with that hip.
Hugs and best wishes! :friends:

Came home and started going to the Y. I was doing 20 minutes on the Nu-step and walking without the cane around the house. Then suddenly one day, I'm limping again and I can feel a kind of kink in the hip. I wouldn't even say it hurt; sort of like a cramp feeling. Then the next day it would be better and I could walk on it without limping again. Yesterday I was walking fine and today I can't without the limp and I don't walk with a hip.
The 'come and go' experience you are having is not the issue. It ALL indicates doing too much! I know it's a while since you last had surgery but it appears you are still susceptible to this problem. You should take that on board and be more careful/cautious.
I think I don't get enough exercise though.
All evidence to the contrary!
Do I have bursitis? Is there something wrong that I need an X-ray for?
Show me where this pain is using this chart

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

@Josephine Thank you for responding. I feel that you are correct, that I have done too much in too short a time. But I am not really exercising. I have stopped the nu-step. In fact, I only had a chance to do the 20 minutes twice before this all started. The exercise, I think was the walking (which was good but too much) and the stairs. The complex in Mexico had major design flaws for someone in my condition. I did it all on the cane.

The ache/kink for want of a better description is about at SR1B in the rear graph and that is the only area involved. It also has a soreness there when I press on the area at the top of my incision. I wouldn't even describe it as a pain; more a discomfort that makes me limp, more a physical sense that it won't support that leg without assistance.

I appreciate any other thoughts you can apply to this. It has been such a long recovery and I accept that I will walk on the cane for the rest of my life. . .maybe a chance that I can walk again one day but time is running out. I am somewhat cheered that it maybe the result of just doing too much in a short period of time and I will have to recover the strength I had previously.

I will go right now and read your recovery entries. Thanks for those and for your help.

Hi there :wave:
I hope with lots of rest your pain eases soon, zinnia.
Glad you stopped the Nu-Step. Wise decision.
Have a nice Tuesday! :loveshwr: :friends:
@zinnia

at SR1B in the rear graph and that is the only area involved.
That point is Trochanteric bursitis.
I accept that I will walk on the cane for the rest of my life. Maybe a chance that I can walk again one day but time is running out.
What do you mean by 'time is running out'? You're not even a year since your last surgery yet! Improvements can occur 1, 2 or even 3 years after surgery.

@Josephine That's what I was afraid of. I was diagnosed with bursitis before, which now it is understood to have been misdiagnosed, since I had the second revision following. Are you saying that I have trochanteric bursitis? Or that you suspect it? What, then, do you suggest I do? Do you think the excessive walking and climbing stairs in Mexico had something to do with bringing this on. Before this happened I was beginning to climb stairs one after the other without doing the one by one thing. Now I am back doing the one by one thing.

As far as "time running out", I will be 84 in March, have had 4 surgeries in 2 1/5 years and though things were going along slowly after this last one, they were moving along. And now this.

I can walk today as though I am taking my first unassisted steps. But it feels like "the hinge"/joint is stiff or just not ready to react appropriately. What could be characterized as "pain" is more like, as I said, a physical sense that the joint is having a hard time responding to my request.

Thank you again. I am in the middle of reading your story which is helping me not feel guilty about foregoing regular exercising after PT let me go. But after that I had the surgery to wash out and exchange the femoral ball, etc. and I have done precious little since then. And only a refresher course of PT, so I haven't bothered. I was beginning to walk outside unassisted, to the end of the driveway and adding a few feet each day. But now I am back to walking with the cane. Disappointing to say the least.

Are you saying that I have trochanteric bursitis? Or that you suspect it?
Pretty certain. It's the right spot, anyway.
Do you think the excessive walking and climbing stairs in Mexico had something to do with bringing this on.
Indubitably!
As far as "time running out", I will be 84 in March, have had 4 surgeries in 2 1/5 years and though things were going along slowly after this last one, they were moving along.
I still don't understand it. What do you think is going to be 'run out' and when?
But now I am back to walking with the cane. Disappointing to say the least.
There are far worse things than having to use a cane. Be grateful for small mercies!

I am sorry this situation is disappointing you and making you anxious.
Hard for me to believe you are 84!
My stepmother is 83 and hasn't had joint issues or all the surgeries, and is frail and mostly homebound.
Hopefully this will ease soon...
Sending good mojo your way.:loveshwr:

Okay, now I know why I come back here. . .I stand corrected. Thank you, @Josephine, for bringing me back to reality. I was out there in the dumbs for awhile. I usually don't feel sorry for myself, but I did stoop down into the dumbs for awhile. I am back now and am glad to say that the hip is much better, not it's classy self but I am walking again without the limp. I think it was the overdoing it that @Layla suggested in the first place and you followed up on. So far I don't think it is bursitis, do you. This is just feeling so much better.

I am sorry for your step-mother's situation @Mojo333. It isn't easy getting old but I am far from frail. I am sorry she is housebound. That is truly too bad. So their are small mercies as Josephine said and I am thankful for mine and for all of you. Thanks for being in my corner and there when I needed support and a boost out of those dumps. Josephine, you are a gem.

Merry Christmas to All and the Happiest of New Years.

You are a trooper, zinnia. You have prevailed through three revisions! Think I'll plant some zinnias next spring (using my revised hip!) in your honor. I'm imagining a nice clump of multi-colored ones in a sunny spot.

So far I don't think it is bursitis, do you.
Actually, yes I do!
I think it was the overdoing it
Quite so!

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

:santa sleigh:
Have a chilled out Christmas!
Lots of Comfort...Lots of Joy!
:reindeerlights:

Happy New Year, zinnia!
I hope you're feeling better and have eased your way out of the ODIC.
Would love to hear how you're doing if you have time to update.
I'll bet the holidays were a whirlwind. Hopefully if so, you can take a breather now.
Wishing you a wonderful January as we begin the New Year.
Big hugs :loveshwr::friends:
@zinnia

5aee27a4b055b.image.jpg

Yes, Happy 2019.
Hope all is well with you and yours!

Thank you for the light show, @Mojo333; nice to come back to and to you and @Layla.

The good news is we had a joyous Christmas with all my kids minus one grandson whom we missed greatly. My family gets on with each other so well and are attentive to me but not very attentive. That is, they do not hover. They treat me like I am an equal human being but as Mama.

The bad news is that I took a bad fall in the middle of the night about 1 week and a half before we left for the mountains and I have done some damage to my upper chest area. The hip was not involved at all. I must have hit something hard and sharp edged going down maybe the handle of the rolator which was in the bedroom. I don't remember a thing. Gerry heard the crash and got me back up and into bed; I remember nothing. Well, at least it knocked my out of the ODIC thing but we left the mountain cabin the day after Christmas so I could get home where I would be more comfortable.

I saw the doctor the day after it happened he listened to my lungs and asked me if I could breath easily and take deep breaths. I could with little trouble. I probably have one or 2 ribs involved, maybe the breast bone as well. I mean, I was in absolute agony for about 2 weeks. It is slowly getting better but I am taking it easy again. Taking a page from Josephine; getting around but no real exercising. I got out for the first day on Friday and went to a movie with friends. That wore me out so I have been in the house since then doing small chores and resting and repeating that during the day.

I do hope you both had a glorious Christmas and that the new year has started off well for you. I dreaded telling you my extended troubles but there you have it. My new year has started well in that I am still here but busted up a bit.

Now that the holidays are past us, we are looking into the cruise we will be taking beginning the end of the month. I am about to go to the website and see what's up with that. And start the plan. My major resolution this year is to get organized. I can't believe I've been in this house with Gerry for 12 years. One room in this house has a pathway to get to the closet. I am watching the programs on video about how to organize your stuff. But it would terrify me to make a pile of all my clothes on the floor and begin the sorting.

Have a good coming week of the new year. It is cheering me up to be back on the forum.

Love you both.

I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. I've never broken a rib before but have heard that can be excruciating. I'm glad the pain is ebbing now.

Where are you going on the cruise? I love how active you and Gerry are - you seem to always be on the go - living life and loving it!

I love your description of the room. I have a couple that I started tearing apart when my hip problems started suddenly. Now, 3 years later, they have become the dumping spots for everything I don't know what to do with. My goal now is to get this hip rehabbed and get those rooms cleaned out and turned into guest rooms before my son's graduation in May.

Take care and keep in touch!

Heavens to Betsy, zinnia, I'm so sorry about your accident. I'm wondering if you passed out and that's why you fell? Curious because you mentioned you don't remember anything. Like when you change positions (lying to sitting) too quickly. I'm worried about you. :console2:

I'm relieved to read you're taking it easy and feeling better. I hope you are able to continue resting until you set sail at the beginning of next month, especially because you found the movie outing on Friday exhausting. I will be lifting you in prayer that you regain strength and feel better by the end of the month. Please stay in touch and give us an update on how you're feeling before your vacation, if you have time.
Sending big love and lots of hugs :loveshwr: :friends:
@zinnia

Oh my stars!!!
No falling down!:sad:
I'm so sorry ...my DH cracked some ribs and it was certainly miserable.
No coughing, sneezing, or laughing.:sigh:
I'm sure trying to use walking aids would be very uncomfortable.
I am praying for fast healing!
Please don't worry about organizing things until you are much better:beg:
Healing hugs @zinnia :friends:

Last edited:
@zinnia Oh you poor soul Zinnia, ribs i am told are agony when broken or bruised,but you always bounce back!Christmas sounded fun and the cruise amazing, so much joy in the planning and thinking about. I wouldnt worry about corners or piles of belongings, each year i put bags to go to the charity shop they will always be grateful. No doing too much just relax and do a little pottering, hugs and lovexxx

Thinking of you this morning and hoping those ribs are feeling Some better.
I know that can be a slow process also.
I do worry for you so please pop in and give us the scoop.
A cold front (for SE Georgia that means 30s) is upon us and I'm already freezing. Shivering muscles makes me ache:unsure:
Hope you are staying warm and behaving.
Can't keep Zinnia down...
Hugs:roseshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member