Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

@ Hi Zinnia, well you sound to be really having a fling, climbing onto boats, whatever next---so wonderful to hear,hugsxxxxx

Hi @zinnia ,
Climbing in and out of boats, another skill, lost and regained after hip replacement, in Addition to putting on our socks unaided etc.
During our last New Zealand Holiday in January 2017, I went canooing (kayaking) with my husband on the small river that flows through Christchurch.
Best - Constanze

How nice to get a post from you Constanze. Your trip to New Zealand is quite a coincidence since my step-son and his daughter live in Lyttleton right next to Christ Church. A lovely area on the bay/harbor there. They live up on one of those amazingly precarious ridges and were hit quite hard by the earthquakes several years ago. In fact, he completely rebuilt their house which is finished now and is stunning. We just spent 2 weeks there on a visit about a month ago.

We hope to be taking a river cruise on the Daube in July of 19. Being on a board of directors as my husband is, has it's advantages. He often has conference cruises. We have to wait to request a stateroom however and are hoping they don't fill up before our time of choice. I look forward to taking some day trips into those beautiful cities and villages.

Best to you. I enjoy your visits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there :hi:
Missing my friend. Would love to hear how it's going for you.
Especially since the hurricane. I hope you're feeling stronger week by week.
Sending love, hugs and best wishes for a great rest of the week!:friends: :loveshwr:
@zinnia

:hi: there sweet girl,

I am doing well. It seems I go through a long dry period and nothing changes and then I am suddenly stronger and my gait has changed toward a more normal one and I am walking for longer periods in a more normal fashion. i am learning how to use this new hip and match the movement of the other hip. I am learning to use the muscles in my right thigh which are getting stronger to keep that knee from collapsing into the center because of the arthritis I am told. I'm not too sure that is correct though. Needless to say, I am very encouraged. In fact, I am about to go out and walk up the road and back right about now. It is really hard work though. . .very hard.

We continue to suffer from the hurricanes here in New Bern. We do have a new sail boat. A smaller girl. She is getting some work done on her now but she'll probably go into the water after Thanksgiving. She's a lovely girl, easier to handle for Gerry and a really sweet salon below. More spacious than the other boat with was larger. The arrangement is different and more open. I like her a lot. Gerry works on her every day and then we will oil all the teak downstairs. Only one side of the fold down table needs refinishing. Every thing else is pretty dry so only needs the oiling.

Hope all goes well with you and @Mojo333 and @SaraK and @clodaghcov; sending you and all much love and wishing everyone best wishes. :flwrysmile:

:happydance::happydance::happydance:
Love to see an alert with your name attached.
Good for you for keeping the faith and working hard to keep things moving.
The sailboat sounds lovely...guess she is already named.
Other wise you could call her Mojo Rising or Tacky (get it:heehee:) I would name my sailboat something crazy like that.
And have tyedyed sails too!

We miss you but glad you are on with your life.
Pop in again when you can!:roseshwr:

You might try Johnston's One Step Wax. You have to to Johnston & Johnston's website to order. We used on a hardwood floor - cleans and waxes. Our real estate agent saw the floor when it was looking sad and then after we'd used the wax a couple of times - she thought we'd had it refinished! Then she bought some to give all her clients with wood that needed to be refinished.

Now, about you! I'm so glad my favorite butterfly is getting stronger and doing much better! I just wish I could wave a magic wand and make everything better from the hurricane!

Much love and hugs! :flwrysmile:

Hi there, lovely lady!
Wonderful news to hear your gait is changing and you're walking for longer periods of time.
I'm very happy for you, zinnia. I was going through your thread for old time's sake last time I posted to you and realized it's been a year since this journey began. I can't believe how time flies. You've been through so much.
It sounds like you're making great progress, moving in the right direction, thankfully you've been patient and it's paying off.

I'm sorry you lost your sailboat, but it sounds as though you've already developed a fondness for the new one. I'm sure you and hubby will enjoy creating new memories with this one as soon as you're able to set sail. First we have to get through the holidays. Can you believe the season is almost upon us?! I can't.
Please stay in touch, we'd love to follow your progress into the new year.
Love, hugs and best wishes! :loveshwr:Hope your week is a good one!
@zinnia

@zinnia wonderful to hear of your successes, you sound to be making huge progress, i do hope i shall be able to do the same. Your new girl sounds such fun and not quite so much work, I so remember cleaning and scrubbing the bottom of Mikes parents boat, actually it seemed to take more time looking after her than actually going anywhere!! That really silly season is getting nearer and tonight it is all fireworks so we have loud television and big cuddles for the dogs. Hugs and keep safexxx

Yikes, I realize I've said nothing about going to Cancun which we will be doing this coming Tuesday. We fly out at 5 something in the morning, lay over in Charlotte for a few hours and arrive Cancun in time for lunch. Never been to Cancun. We are going with friends who very generously sold us a week at one of their condos there. We atay with them for a week, they stay on and we go home to drive to Connecticut for Thanksgiving with Gerry's sisters. The holidays begin. This includes holiday wishes for all: @Layla
@Mojo333
@SaraK
@clodaghcov It's about to get wicked busy, I'm afraid. We only do stockings in my family and it's still busy.
Happy Holly Days to Everyone. I like Thanksgiving and Christmas and look forward to. So enjoy All. Hugs and love all round.

You can't baby us for ever...you were such a cheerleader for me despite all your complications and struggles...:friends:
Certainly don't feel that getting on with life in a big way is in any way a slight to those who are delighted to see you getting on with life in a Big Way.
Enjoy your sabbatical.
Can't think of anyone more worthy!:roseshwr:

Last edited:
And just like that....she's off again!
Safe travels to Cancun, dear one. I hope you and hubs have the best of times.
Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to Connecticut also if we don't hear from you before then.
Happy hugs and loads of love back at ya :loveshwr: :friends:
Stay safe!
@zinnia

Thinking of and missing my sweet friend lately. I know you'll stop by before Christmas
so I'm leaving you a message. I hope all is well with you and you're still noticing progress.
I'll bet you and hubby are busy and have big plans for the holidays, as I remember you traveled
last year. Sending lots of love your way with wishes for a wonderful Christmas and a Happy 2019!
Big hugs too!
@zinnia

@zinnia, I read through a large part of your saga and impressed with how well you are doing now. You've been through a lot but your persistence paid off. I am having a revision surgery myself on Jan. 2, 2019, and have a question for you. Did your surgeon end up using a cemented or cementless prosthesis for your cup revision last November and the femoral ball revision in April?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

@prairienut I'm glad I checked in so I wouldn't miss your note.

As far as the cup goes, if I remember clearly it is cemented. The surgeon did not remove it in April, but he did remove the liner. It already had ingrowth going on so he didn't want to disturb it and I am figuring that he didn't also because it was cemented. I also have a metal augmentation on the pelvis at the lower level where the original break happened so it would have been disturbed as well. The femoral ball was exchanged but not the femoral prosthesis in the bone as you probably already know. I hope that helps you. I imagine it depends on the situation and reason for the revision whether the cup is cemented. My second surgeon is a very detailed but I haven't a clue whether that made a difference. Read my new entry to Mojo333 and Layla to see news of my situation. I have some questions for them.

Good luck with your revision. I see your original surgery was 10 years ago, yes? Please let me know how it goes. I'd also like to know why it is necessary if you are willing to share. I will go back into your page and find out though so I can spend some time.

Have a great Christmas. Enjoy your time. Soon you will have a new hip.

Read my new entry to Mojo333 and Layla to see news of my situation. I have some questions for them.
??? Haven't got to it yet ..?

:wave:my good BS buddy.
So glad to see you post. Hope you dodged this latest round of storms?

Hope the Christmas spirit is seeping into your soul!:santa hug:

@zinnia, The OS who did the THR 10 years ago speculated that the loosening of the prosthesis (at least the femoral part if not both parts) could be "wear and tear or just bad luck." I went to his associate in the same practice who does the revisions. He didn't offer a reason for the loosening. When I went to the OS at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC, he said it is very possible the loosening was due to a femoral prosthesis that was too small. He showed me on the xray how he would fit a prosthesis for my unoperated leg, then overlaid that drawing on the THR I have. His drawing was significantly larger than the one I have! He can't say for sure that this is what caused the problem, but it is pretty likely. My pre-op testing has not shown infection or metallosis. Over the years, I have been pretty active with hiking, bicycling, and extreme gardening. Occasionally, I would have unexplained achiness in that hip, and I wonder if that was due to some instability in my THR even then. The OS at HSS also pointed out that my THR leg is 1-1/2 cm shorter than the unoperated leg. He will aim to even me out during the revision. Looking forward with hope for a good result this time.

To @Layla and @Mojo333. Missed my sweet girls; I'm back and a little worse for wear. It's been a crazy time.

I won't go into that because I have a question for you. I was doing so well. Beginning to walk up the street without the cane. Gerry went with me. This was before Cancun or Thanksgiving. Those 2 weeks were exhausting. A lot of walking and a lot of stairs at Cancun. Not a bad thing, good exercise too. The drive to Connecticut was wearing even getting out every 2 hours and spending the night on the way; it was still tiring. More stairs at sister in law's house. Again no problems. Just took it slow with Gerry there with me. . .worried.

Came home and started going to the Y. I was doing 20 minutes on the Nu-step and walking without the cane around the house. Then suddenly one day, I'm limping again and I can feel a kind of kink in the hip. I wouldn't even say it hurt; sort of like a cramp feeling. Then the next day it would be better and I could walk on it without limping again. Yesterday I was walking fine and today I can't without the limp and I don't walk with a hip.

There is no pain when sitting, walking with the cane or even on the nu-step. When I spread out that leg during exercising (what do you call that abduction ?) on the bed I can feel that drag feeling but I wouldn't call it a pain. There is a surface soreness and maybe swelling at that site at the top of the hip. Do I have bursitis? Is there something wrong that I need an X-ray for? I am in a bit of distress over this. I know I may never walk again without the cane but I was doing so much better. I think I don't get enough exercise though. Is that the problem? When the surgeon let me go. I asked him if I could do anything with this leg. Would it take gardening, etc., etc. And he said, "you can do what ever doesn't hurt. If it hurts, don't so it." So here I am. Do I just not do "this" walking thing except on the days that it seems okay?

What do my angels think about this? I am anxious to hear. I love you both and have missed you.

I love you too, sweet Zinnia. I'm so sorry you're struggling and worried. My gut tells me you've overdone it and you're lingering in the ODIC. I think this because you began by saying how well you were doing, mentioning you were walking up the street unassisted and around the house unassisted also. It sounds like the steps and activity of vacay started it all. In mentioning you were exhausted I'm assuming you were pushing yourself and most likely engaging muscles that were fatigued and possibly not taking enough time to recover with the demanding activity of vacation. I'm wondering if you should stop the Nu-step for now, use your cane while you're limping and be conscientious about heel-toe walking, get some rest and see if it improves. I really think we should have @Josephine to weigh in because she's the expert and you've provided enough information for her to advise. She may need more info though so please check back periodically. With the time difference I'm sure she won't be online any more this evening but I've tagged her so you'll be on her list. Please rest easy, try not to worry.
Sending lots of love, a warm hug and wishes for your comfort :console2: I'll look forward to Jo's response.
@zinnia

@Layla ODIC?? I can only think of over did it category.

Thank you for such a thoughtful answer. I think you may be right about it. I did over do and I was exhausted. Still am tired actually. Even if it is a good day and I can walk unassisted I am so tired by the end of the day I can no longer walk without a limp. I also think that one leg is longer than the other one. The docs say no but I'm not convinced.

I will wait to hear what Josephine has to say. And I thank you for giving her a heads up for me. I hope you are right. I can't believe something is wrong beyond the ODIC. Thank you my Love.

Talk to you later. xxxooo

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties