• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Hip Replacement For BMI over 40

shnjags

Country
United States United States
Hello,

I am need of a hip replacement and I am having a hard time finding a surgeon that will do it due to my bmi over 40. I have lost over 110 pounds and just can't seem to lose anymore. Do you know of anyone that does surgeries in North Carolina that would take a case with over 40 bmi?

Any help is appreciated.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Can you please tell me exactly what your BMI is and which surgeons you have contacted? I may be able to help you find someone, but you might have to drive to get to a doctor that will do your surgery. It's tough.....many surgeons just don't want to work with higher BMI patients. I'm sure you know there are some additional risk factors with the extra weight, but there are certainly a lot of successful hip replacements done on overweight individuals....so it's possible.

I also need to know any other risk factors you may have such as diabetes, smoking, heart problems, lung issues, etc.

Please tag me in your response so I see it quickly. To tag you type the "at" sign (@) followed by my username with no space ... like this ... @Jamie

OP
OP
S

shnjags

Country
@Jamie
I am willing to go anywhere. No other issues other than hip. Here are the doctors I have seen:
Greensboro, NC
Dr Frank Aluisio

Charlotte, NC
Scott Smith

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
The only surgeon I have on my list from North Carolina is:

Dr. Demetri Economedes
Cary Orthopedcs
Cary, North Carolina 27511
Phone: 919-467-4992

I don't know if he takes patients with a high BMI, so you would need to call his office and check that out.
I will also provide your information to our BoneSmart CEO. He has many contacts in the medical community and may be able to help.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
I have these surgeons that I believe work with high BMI patients, although all would require travel for you. It still could be worth it if you're interested in contacting any of them:

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Dr. Kristopher Case Sanders, MD
Anterior/posterior hips, works with high BMI patients
Erlanger Orthopaedics
979 E 3rd St,, Suite C-430
Chattanooga, TN 37403
423-778-4900

Cleveland, Ohio

Dr. Bernie Stulberg(Cleveland) - works with high BMI patients
Dr. Ken Greene(Medina/Cleveland Clinic) - works with high BMI patients

Cleveland Clinic offers a virtual appointment so you could hopefully get an evaluation of your case without having to travel initially. Here is the information I have on that program. Prices may be different, as I've had this information for a number of years.

Virtual doctor appointments are available from Cleveland Clinic:
The Cleveland Clinic ortho site suggests they have a very reasonably priced virtual visit and a remote consultation review.

Virtual Visits with Orthopaedics

Select patients now can see our providers online from their home or office by using the Cleveland Clinic Express Care® Online tool. This service allows patients a fast, secure and easy way to receive care from their healthcare team in a live virtual visit using a smartphone (iPhone or Android), tablet or computer. The benefits of choosing a virtual visit include no travel or parking, less waiting, significant time savings, no facility fee and the convenience of seeing your physician from wherever you choose.

Virtual visits with an orthopedic surgeon.

New patients with common knee injuries or knee pain.

Established patients scheduling follow-up care appointments such as:

Post-Surgical & wound check visits
Fracture care follow-up
Injection follow-up
Musculoskeletal injury follow-up
Per-operative teaching prior to surgery
Ask your physician if a virtual visit follow-up appointment is right for your follow-up care.

What is the cost of an orthopaedic virtual visit?

New patients: $75
Follow-up visits: $49
Post-surgical visits: $0*
Fracture care visits: $0*
*Within 90 days of incident.
If you would like to use Express Care Online for your next visit, please call your provider’s office. If you are eligible, our team will schedule your virtual visit and provide details on the cost of your appointment and setup instructions.

MyConsult

The MyConsult online medical second opinion service securely connects you to the specialty physician expertise you need when you are faced with a serious diagnosis. Following a thorough review of your medical records and diagnostic tests, Cleveland Clinic experts render a medical second opinion that includes treatment options or alternatives, as well as recommendations regarding your future therapeutic considerations.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/departments/orthopaedics-rheumatology/appointments-locations

Greenville, Ohio (on the border with Indiana)

Works with high BMI patients.

Mario Lee, M.D.
Reid Health
1400 Highland Rd, Richmond, IN 47374
(765) 935-8905
Reid Hospital Orthopedics

I had a TKR with Dr. Lee Feb 2019 and am very pleased with the
results. A previous surgeon refuse to consider surgery because of my
weight , but Dr Lee looked at my health not just my weight.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carreg
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom