Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Hip Replacement due to torn labrum

Owithurts

Country
United States United States
Hello,
I am so glad to find this forum. The good news is I do not have arthritis in my hips, but I have two tears in the labrum. Because of my age, my surgeon does not think a labrum repair would benefit me. So I am scheduled for right hip replacement on June 10. My question is, does anyone know anything about the new 3D Conformis Hip replacement?

I have not slept a full nights sleep in so long, so much burning and hurting. I just thought of another question...I try to stay fairly active. I like to play tennis, swim and golf. Will these activities still be in my future?

Thanks so much.
Ow It Hurts!

sharonslp

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, OIH, and welcome. I can't address the 3D Conformis. But I can respond to your other concern. I was an active ballroom and contra dancer prior to my THRs in my early 60s. The surgery put me back on the dance floor. I did pretty much stop ballroom dancing, but that was influenced far more by the mobility issues of my significant other. I continue to contra dance now.

I would speculate that you will have no difficulty returning to swimming and golf. I can picture where tennis might be iffy simply because there is a lot of torque that may be placed on your hip when you change direction abruptly. That said, we have plenty of members who have fully resumed their very active lives. Just take it slowly and give yourself plenty of time to fully recover. You'll be feeling pretty peppy again within 6 months, but that is deceiving. It really does take a full year and often two for all the soft tissue to recover. Too many members come back in the 6-12 month post-surgery period reporting pain problems after seemingly good recoveries. Too often, this is simply due to joining the OverDid It Club.

OP
OP
Owithurts

Owithurts

Country
Thank you for the pep talk. Two years ago I fell doing yoga and ended up having a cervical fusion surgery and two shoulder surgeries. Now this.
I am ready for the little cloud that is hanging over my head to turn into sunny skies. I know it will.

I sure will try and not become a member of the overdid club. My high school 50year reunion is coming up June 28th and my surgery is the 10th. Sure hate to miss it.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Owithurts You will indeed get back to all the activities you enjoy. The major roadblock for most is patience. Trying to push through this recovery only results in frustration and setbacks.
My high school 50year reunion is coming up June 28th and my surgery is the 10th. Sure hate to miss it.
I'm afraid you won't be up to this event so early out of surgery. But I can confirm, you won't regret getting that hip replaced.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I do not have arthritis in my hips, but I have two tears in the labrum
You should be very pleased your surgeon has decided to give you new hips. Hip arthroscopy rarely works, even for youngsters!
does anyone know anything about the new 3D Conformis Hip replacement?
Don'r worry about the various types of hips. They are all pretty much of a muchness. The UK Joint Joint Registry publishes stats on all joint replacement devices year on year and the overwhelming conclusion is that they are all, as I say, pretty much the same.

However, your device is a little different in that Conformis implants and instruments are designed based on each patient’s CT scan. I suggest you look at this page in Conformis' website as it contains a really excellent animation about how their implants are made!

Tell me if there is anything in there you need explaining!

Will these activities still be in my future?
You betcha! All being well, happy times are ahead for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Schnoodle1
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom