THR Hip Replacement -Anterior Method June 1, 2020

LMA-forte

Country
United States United States
I had hip replacement surgery on my left hip on June 1, 2020 with the anterior method. The pain hasn't been too bad, but I am still unable to walk without a cane due to the pain when I put my full weight on my left hip. I am in week 5 of my recovery and I thought I would be able to walk without a cane by now. Are my expectations too high? I started PT today and my therapist gave me some exercises to strengthen the muscles around my hip to see if this will help me walk pain free. I'm feeling a bit down about where I am in my recovery. Looking for others who have had hip surgery around the same time to let me know how they are doing.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:welome:
Please begin with the Recovery Guidelines and I’ll post more below...

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your new hip! Thanks for joining us.

I‘m wondering if you‘ve had your post op appointment yet, and if so, what did your OS, or PA, have to say about the pain you mentioned?

Using an assistive device at only one month post op isn’t that unusual. If you haven’t iced at all, try icing the area of discomfort several times per day for 45-60 minutes, no less. Make sure to have some fabric between your skin and the ice source.

I’m not sure I’d want to begin engaging in PT if I was dealing with pain. PT is not really necessary. Walking is the best form of exercise, but not to excess. Notice the BIG TIP in the Recovery Guidelines above.

I‘d also use OTC pain relievers, as needed, until the pain eases. Please don’t be discouraged with your progress as no two recoveries are alike, not even with the same person. You are recovering from a major surgery, basically a controlled trauma. This surgery can take a full year to recover from, even longer for some. Personally, I’d hold off on the PT, begin icing and see how you’re feeling in another week or two.

I‘m sure some that experienced surgery around your date will stop by.
Drop by often. We‘ll be here for support.

Until next time...wishing you comfort! :)

OP
OP
L

LMA-forte

Country
Thank you for all the advice! I really appreciate it. I saw my OS on Tuesday of this week and told him I was frustrated that I am still unable to walk without my cane and I'm still having pain when I put my full weight on my new hip. He said I could try a couple weeks of PT to see if it helped me improve quicker. However, I will take your advice about PT into consideration and I will not push myself or over exercise my muscles. I have read your warnings about over working the already injured muscles. I started to take walks around our neighborhood (using my cane) today. I was able to go about a half mile. I will continue walking as much as possible. I haven't really been icing my hip much, should I be doing this more? I also haven't been taking many pain meds. I am only taking one 200MG Celebrex 2x per day and 1 or 2 500MG Tylenol per day. Maybe I need to take more pain meds? I just thought I'd be walking without a cane by now, but maybe I am just being too impatient. Thanks again for your advice and support.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You’re welcome!

A couple more things -
The following article from the Recovery Guidelines really helped me keep in check. Not overdoing it, or doing too little - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Yes, I would ice. You can ice for months if you’re feeling the need. It helps with both pain and inflammation. Read the article on ICE in the Recovery Guidelines under No. 2

You can check with your surgeons office on the meds. I’m sure you can safely take more, if you’re feeling the need, with a nod from them.

Try not to get hung up on the cane, it takes some longer than others. It’s not a big deal, so do try to be more patient with yourself. Your body is healing.

I‘ll leave a little diagram below that may help you relax about you’re progress. You’re doing just fine! :wink:

OP
OP
L

LMA-forte

Country
Thank you for the advice and support. I will try icing a little bit each day and increasing my walking as well.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Hi @LMA-forte and welcome! I read you saying you weren't taking much in the way of pain meds and was painfully (pun intended) reminded of my recoveries. At one month, I had just graduated/weaned off all opioids, and onto maximum doses of tylenol and ibuprofen! Also for that first month, I pretty much wore ice 24/7. My body is saying to me, no wonder LMA's hip hurts!

My experience with PT: I very faithfully did my exercises three times a day for about three weeks on right hip. That hip recovered. Four years later, I decided to do no PT except ankle pumps for left hip. That hip recovered faster, and with less pain overall. I walked laps on my deck for about 3 weeks, getting up the nerve to tackle the rough gravel driveway leading to the street. We lived in the middle of a very long, steep hill, so I only walked a few houses up or down to begin with. I'd had level coastal ground for the right hip, so actually walked farther sooner.

So if it were I, I'd be trying some more OTC pain relievers per day, on a regular schedule, icing frequently, and easy walking. You can only go half as far as you feel capable of, because then you have to get back home! And up the stairs! (I did anyway!) It's not cowardly to relieve your pain. In fact, I read here that if you have less pain, you'll heal faster because your body can relax and not put out those stress/pain hormones. It can spend all its energy healing, which is what it wants to do :yes:

Last edited:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Walking is the best PT and it's not as much about distance. My road isn't the best for walking so I would go to town and walk the small walking track. It's flat and has benches to stop and rest. I would have to make myself walk slow so I would walk with good posture and heel to toe each step. The best walking PT I did was in a big store pushing a shopping cart. The cart gives stability and I could really walk concentrating on each step. Of course I didn't have to deal with this virus at the time.

Hipster-2

Country
That walking track idea is a brilliant one, as you’re never in danger of going so far that you get stranded by pain and need to over-do it to return.

OP
OP
L

LMA-forte

Country
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the advice and support from others who have been through the same thing as me.

I am doing much better this week. I am able to walk 1 mile (using my husband as my cane) and I have been icing more, the pain is minimal but there is still some swelling. I will continue to walk as much as possible and ice afterwards. I am only going to do a few sessions of PT and I won't push myself to the point of pain in it. Thank you again for your support.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@LMA-forte glad to hear you sounding more chipper! Your covid silver lining is the husband-as-cane! :heehee: :SUNsmile:

I am still trying to figure out your screen name in a musical context! Am I totally off track?

KneeHelp

Country
I had my hip replacement May 4, anterior. My biggest problem was trying to find a comfortable position to sleep at night. It's better at 2 months, not perfect.

My 18 month old knee replacement is another story! It has been the replacement from h***, lol.

I was out pulling weeds for a short time in my garden this afternoon. No problem with my hip, but my knee stiffened up. I take it really easy and stretch quite a bit.

It is amazing how much the hip surgery has improved my quality of life. I will have the second hip replacement in January, I hope and pray it goes as well as the first hip replacement.

I can see some improvement in my knee replacement after my hip surgery, I'm hoping the second hip replacement will solve my problems with the 'evil knee', lol.

I'm glad you are recovering well!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Stopping by with best wishes and also wondering how your recovery is going?
Hopefully you’re enjoying progress and having a nice Summer. Please feel free to update as time allows...would love to hear from you!
@LMA-forte

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom