THR Hip Replacement-9 weeks still limping

@CricketHip you are so correct I limped girva good 6 months before the surgery and before that I had pelvic pain... so I now know I have to talk all of that into consideration. I am not just healing from the surgery but also the pre surgery. The process is becoming clearer every day. I will exercise that patience muscle Thanks for the support

Absolutely! It really is a full body experience, isn't it? You are making progress, and you will continue to make progress.. Have a good night. :)

I limped girva good 6 months before the surgery and before that I had pelvic pain... so I now know I have to talk all of that into consideration. I am not just healing from the surgery but also the pre surgery.
Such an important point put simply that doesnt get relayed as often as it should be...I'm keeping this in my reminders.
Thank you @Teresawebb

I am just now coming off my prescription medicine that was prescriped for 12 weeks. Hydocodin.My OS suggested Tylenol and a prescription anti inflammatory. I have heard that tramadol is good also. I still have soreness and aching as my day progresses and at times after PT. Any suggestions on what has worked for others ? Thank you

@Teresawebb What worked for others may not work for you. I would go with what your OS recommends and adjust the dose if needed.

Please do not take medication to "get through" and PT. PT should never hurt.

The Tylenol/Tramadol combination works for many of our members. Here is a suggested schedule.

The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

If you use this schedule, do check to make sure you're not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen) You need to stay within the safe limit of no more than 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period. If any other medications you're taking contain Tylenol, add their amount into your daily calculations and reduce another of your doses, so you stay within those limits.

@Jaycey thank you very much for the schedule and advice. I will let you know how the Tylenol- Tramadol works for me.

I was still utilizing some good old ice therapy too at 3 months. Great antiinflamatory and pain reliever. :ice::ice:
Hope you have a take it easy weekend!

Luckily I am managing my aches and pains with Tylenol and mobic . I am taking the limit per day for both. I do have another concern I am now almost 4 months out and still am very tender on the incision site. PT says the incision looks good but extremely tender. Has anyone else experienced this.... any suggestions? I am going to call the OS- Nurse and run it past her also.
Have a great weekend .

I agree with what everyone above is saying. I'm at 8 months out now from surgery and am lucky that my PT does manual therapy before we start the exercises. Its almost like a deep massage but he seems to know the areas that are still and its heaven thought it can hurt if he goes too deep so I just tell him. You need a PT that will be intuitive and watch you closely as you do the exercises and all. I too had a limp for months.. time helped the most. Also the gait training mentioned above. I still have my cane handy when I am out of the house for different terrain or when I am tired. I have an 11" step to our deck that I can get up but getting down I use a trekking pole as there is not rail and I put it in the dirt. My goal is to hopefully get rid of it soon.
I am now dealing with an arthritic knee on my non operated good side which is healing but started in May 3 months after surgery. Bummer.. That is why I am still using the cane.
You are doing great but it sounds like you are overdoing it. I took 3 weeks of PT in the middle and it helped then I went back. Best of luck in your recovery. My surgeon told me by 9 months I wouldn't even know I had a hip replacement but it takes a full year. So know that it only gets better.

@lotusbuds thanks so much for the encouragement and info on your recovery. My PT also does the manual massage and it really helps! I guess my biggest issue is patience... will slow down just a little more and respect the process. Thanks again.

I guess my biggest issue is patience... will slow down just a little more and respect the process.
Everybody's biggest issue is patience. :bored:

It was so difficult and yet one of the best things I learned through this whole process....to be patient. None of this can or should be rushed.

Hello and Happy Monday to you :wave:
How are you doing? @Teresawebb
It looks like you just passed your Four Month Anniversary. Yay! :yes!:
I'll bet you're getting black to life and feeling more confident with each passing month. Best wishes for a great week!

@Layla thanks for checking in. I am walking better. Limp is much better. Some days I still need the cane but I make sure to keep it in my car. I have decided to take a week off from PT and just walk and try to get some rest. I have a very short work week the week. I Found myself getting too sore. Not pain but achy and soreness. I see that more healing still needs to take place. I still have swelling by the end of the day so I ice and elevate. The tenderness on my surgical (right) side is much better. The masssge at PT helps but plan to go to a massage therapist this week for a full body gentle relaxing massage. My entire body feels like it has been traumatized. All and all my recovery process is looking up. I have to keep telling myself that this is a process not a race. Again I am so grateful for this Site. Thanks again

@Teresawebb good to here you're walking better and with less limp. I still keep canes in various locations, car included, in case I need it. Hopefully the soreness will go away after taking a break from PT and thinking the full body massage should definitely help! It is definitely a process and takes the time it takes, whether we try to will it differently or not.

Hello just checking in. I am feeling good. I guess it is due to being more patient. My limp is better except for days like yesterday when at work we hosted Breakfast With Santa for 120 children. By the end of event I was limping and leaning to my right side. Went home iced elevated and rested. This morning walking better. I have not been to PT in awhile but have been doing more walking.. That seems to work better. Will decide the first of the year if I need to go back to PT. I know that I still need to build more strength in my leg to have a smoother walk but believe that will come with time. I do sign into this Site almost daily. It is so helpful and I am grateful for all of the support.
Happy Holidays and the prayer of good health and wellness to all.

What a good update @Teresawebb ! Good for you! I think anyone would be a bit gimpy after hosting Breakfast with Santa. :heehee:
I like that you are walking more and hopefully walking with a focused and correct gait. You aren't even to 6 months yet.. I am almost there and can't get over how much better I feel in this month between 5 and 6. I wish that for you, too.

Happy Holidays! :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:

@CricketHip yes I have begun to really focus on standing up straight before I take that first step , heal toe , head up. I didn’t realize that I would have to retrain myself to walk... but I am grateful for the progress that I am making. I feel like I have turned a corner but know I have a few more corners to turn. I am glad to hear you are progressing. Thank you for your support ❣️❣️

It's all about relearning how to walk and purposeful walking. In every day life we might walk a fair amount but most is sloppy habit walking. When I go walking the first thought is posture, then heel toe and keeping my toes pointed straight ahead. I remember having the stutter first step last time for a while.
Are you wearing your old shoes? That can cause a poor walk. THR is a good excuse to buy new shoes, I bought mine pre-op so I could start fresh. I have a friend that had his THR quite a while back and he limps, but he never went purpose walking. He walked some but just casual sloppy walking. If you go walking and concentrate on it there is no PT that can duplicate that or do any more strengthening to your hip to improve your gate. Walking purposely up and down stairs will help too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back