THR Hip Replacement-9 weeks still limping

Oh boy, isn't that a nice update! Your new PT seems to be very considerate, wonderful news.

Your return to work will add an extra toll on your body, though. It's more than going to work, it's the :flwrysmile: showering and getting dressed, etc and the travel to the work place.
So on those days maybe consider backing off other activities/exercises until you see how you'll feel?

I still decrease exercise or walking on the longer days at work. It seems to become a rhythm of sorts.
Enjoy your Sunday!

I do agree with everyone, @Teresawebb, that trying to do PT on days you work would be really hard, and an excellent suggestion to schedule it on non-working days. Having said that, it does sound like your new PT provider is a good match for you--hallelujah--and with some targeted work, personalized and tailored for YOU, I hope things will really be looking up shortly!

Great update! Happy to hear you're doing well.
I'm not sure how much flexability you have in regard to your return to work but following is an article you could use a rough guideline if you have the freedom to create your own return schedule -

Wishing you all the best on Thursday. Let us know how it's going after you have a few days under your belt.
Have a great week!
@Teresawebb

@Layla thanks for the example of a good work schedule.It is a great guide. I am very fortunate that I have flexibility at work. I am going to really listen to my body and take it a day at a time.

Wise woman you are!
Look upon this operation as an investment in your future.
Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.
Enjoy the evening! :)
@Teresawebb

A belated Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well and you're enjoying the weekend. :)
@Teresawebb

I did return to work on my 3 month anniversary. I am taking it slowly and listening to my body. I am still enjoying PT and make those PT days shorter office days. This weekend am planing to rest and take a couple of short walks. I love the fall weather so it feels good being outside. I am really beginning to grasp the concept that this is not a 12 week healing process but will take longer and I will need to be patient. I am allowing my body to heal at its own rate and not as concerned with the limp.although I have made significant progress in that area. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Sounds like you are working things out well.
The tightness that comes after even regular activities was certainly still present for me at 3 months.
I would come home and assume the position... ice and elevate in my recliner.
It will get there.
Your positive attitude will see you through.

@Mojo333 -Thanks so much for the information about the tightness.. you are so correct- I asuune the position daily..... I feel better knowing this is quite normal. Thx

@Teresawebb

I'm late to the party but glad you are on the upswing. And so glad you found Aqua Therapy. So much good advice in this thread I really can't add much.

I am two months out today and still limp a little. But what is encouraging is that people have commented on my lack of limp now. I limped severely for a few years. I have now accepted the fact that this is all going to take time. My new hip is just getting to know the muscles and soft tissues and they are all working hard to get me to where I want to be.

Take it easy. I agree with others - your original PT looked brutal. I would love to be able to walk a mile today without pain. I'm not even gonna try because eventually I will get there by just doing a little more each day.

T,

Happy Three Months!

I’m at five months ... while i have had a great recovery (following a bit of overdoingit), I can still feel a bit of soreness after significant walking (more than three miles or so). The soreness fades quickly, even when doing 5-6 miles a day. To be clear, I am careful while walking, don’t push the speed and try and think about “strolling”

You will start to forget a bit ... one day find yourself walking and realize you aren't thinking of your new equipment.

Well I stayed at work a little too long today... grabbed the ice pack as soon as I walked in the house and also elevated . Feeling better but a little frustrated with finding the right balance. I am so grateful that I found this site... I can see that others are feeling the same way and the advice and suggestions are wonderful. I think I will have a big scoop of ice cream and re-set tomorrow.

Hi! Well, you will rest tonight and try to be more careful tomorrow and you will do just fine.
It varies day to day, too. Have you noticed that or is it just me?
You sound like you're doing very well, though. Ice cream is a miracle drug.. :heehee:
Well, unless you overdose and gain ten pounds like I did. :groan:

Afternoon @Teresawebb. I agree with @cricket whole heartily ice cream is the best drug. Sounds like you Teresa are doing very good.:yes!: You had said your work place is flexible, mine also. If I'm having a bit of a struggle I am allowed to take a break a bit early or longer if needed. I treasure the ability to do that. Have you bought new work shoes? I found it very helpful along with consciously strolling keeping leg straight doing the heel to toe stride. Keep on keeping on girl! Put that smile on your face that's makes them wonder what you know! :walking:

:wave:Hey there @Teresawebb
We're happy you found us too!

Your teeth will be chattering after that ice cream if you're icing your leg at the same time. :heehee: Brrrr!

Finding the right balance is key, and you will. Funny thing is, it's ever changing as your energy and stamina slowly increase while you're healing. Hopefully it's feasible for you to plop into your favorite easy chair at night and not do much else until you're feeling stronger.

I hope you sleep well tonight and feel refreshed tomorrow. :yawn: :sleep:

:hi:
Well I stayed at work a little too long today... grabbed the ice pack as soon as I walked in the house and also elevated
Right answer!!!!!
That's how we must do it.:ice:
Feeling better but a little frustrated with finding the right balance.
Yep...a little trial and error is involved in this recovery dance.:unsure:
I think I will have a big scoop of ice cream and re-set tomorrow.
The bestest thing you can do!

@julesglass yes I did get a new pair of work shoes. That has helped. Also as an update ion my limping. I am still limping but doing better. I don’t use the cane much at home but use when I leave the house. My friends and family have noticed improvement. Any suggestions are welcome. I had to let go of the notion that after 12 weeks I would have recovered and would be back to “normal”. Learning to go with the process. Have a great evening everyone and again thanks for the support.

@Teresawebb I think the positive here is that your friends and family are noticing improvement.
I think a lot depends on how you walked, or limped before the THR, don't you?
My first THR was so easy and I was expecting a repeat recovery, or at least similar.
This second hip has been more difficult, and I still limped at 12 weeks. Somewhere between 12 and 15 weeks, the limp disappeared.
Your timeline may be different, but you will eventually realize that your limp is gone, too.
You are so correct, it's a process and it's individual to each of us.

Keep exercising that patience muscle. You got this. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom