THR Hip Replacement 5th December

Lou1511

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hey sorry to bother you just need some advice
Had total hip replacement on left hip 5th December. Pre op was in constant agony has significant leg length difference which meant I was significantly overcompensating on right knee.
Anyway op appeared to go well and no real pain in my hip afterwards until recently it’s started to feel achy especially around scar area. Is this normal should I get in touch with consultant
Added problem right knee is very painful everyone keeps saying oh it’s coz it’s been carrying needs time etc but I honestly don’t know what to do
Don’t want to be a drama queen but also don’t want to leave it if it’s not that
So confused and would really appreciate any help xx

@Lou1511 Welcome to BoneSmart!

Knee pain is the most common complaint following THR. The knee gets man handled during the procedure. Ice and elevation can help.

Have you had any phyiotherapy? sounds like some of your muscles on the op side might have atrophied pre-op. Getting some good advice on how to store this strength might help. But do stress - you are not in training, you are recovering from joint replacement.

Have you increased your activity lately? Lifted or pushed anything heavy. New hips tell you very quickly if they are not happy with changes in activity.

I'll leave our recovery guidelines here for you. Do let us know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi many thanks for taking the time to reply.

The pain in the knee is the opposite leg. I got told it’s because I’ve been over compensating and over using it but it’s not got any better even though I’m doing the exercises physio gave me. So now I’m panicking my knee is damaged too and I need a new knee

Haven’t had any physio wasn’t offered any just given a sheet with exercise on which I am doing.
No I don’t think I’ve done anything different apart from loosing weight lost a stone since op.
Just feel like I’ve took a backwards step and worried my replacement suddenly has failed xxx

Hi!
If you think about it, your whole body is readjusting to the new hip, redistribution of weight, trauma from surgery etc. I would try alternating heat and cold on the knee and ibuprofen. Also maybe rest it as much as possible for a few days? I had horrible knee pain the first couple weeks but it eventually relaxed.

@Lou1511 I wonder if your activities have increased? After we get to a certain time frame in our recoveries we tend to begin doing more without even being as conscious of it.
Would love to hear about the exercises that you are doing too. Sometimes the new hip gets achy over something as simple as too many repetitions of an exercise or a new activity.
You are still pretty early into your healing journey. I was still icing at 3-4 months. Especially after exercise or any activities.
I'm sorry you are worrying, it is a common worry and it can feel pretty overwhelming.
Have you considered making an appointment with your OS to go over everything with them? I think that's what I'd be doing.
Good luck and please keep us updated..

@Lou51, i seriously doubt your new joint is in trouble. You know the old song about the hip bone being connected? Well, I learned postop that my hip bones are connected to Everything! My nonoperative hip and knees threw tantrums over the new joint. The may have been on the nonoperative side, but they also experienced trauma and ramifications.

Everytime I'd get the slightest bit of pain in my knees or nonoperstive hip, I freaked out. This must be a sign the surgery had failed.

Well, no. My surgerical hip had its ups and downs, but it healed nicely. So feel free to run your concerns by your surgeon. But most likely you're discovering what most of us have: the aches and pains and twinges in our necks, shoulders, back, hips, and knees are a natural part if recovery. Hopefully you'll work beyond that phase soon, but sometimes it does take awhile. :flwrysmile:

Thank you so much all of you for reaching out really means a lot.
Yeah guess if I ring and ask the Os he’ll hopefully set my mind at rest.
It really helped knowing you guys aren’t concerned.
The only exercises I’m doing are the ones I got given at the hospital knee lift side leg lift leg behind bent leg behind straight. They don’t seem to hurt or anything.
I maybe am doing more I guess you don’t notice as much. I do think one thing that hasn’t helped I started wearing bigger boots when taking dog a walk as it’s bit slippy under foot n they did seem heavy.
I have noticed, watched myself walk on our ring doorbell that I’m still walking wonky so maybe that’s not helping.
I guess I’ll ring to speak to someone to either put my mind at rest or give some advice n then try n face it head on.
Been in tears most of day worrying as both my knees seem to hurt now and I’m feeling achy around my operative hip n back. Built it up to be worse case scenario my hips failed and I need two new knees.
My daughter said she thinks I just set unrealistic goals for my recovery as for the first few weeks I really seemed to be recovering well then it plateaued.
Thanks again to all of you for reaching out xxxx

I think we’ve all been there thinking worse case scenario. Are they new boots or old ones? Are they worn into old walking patterns? I’ve heard several people in here talk about the importance of new shoes because your gait will be different.
My knees seem to be playing up a bit at the moment too so I’ve got my fingers crossed that they will settle down eventually.

Thanks so much hope your knees settle too. When did you have your op.
Mmm that makes sense no all my shoes are pre op and thinking about it they do seem to lean a bit. Maybe new shoes will help.
I think I still hold myself like it’s going to hurt too which tenses so makes it hurt if that makes sense
Thanks again xxx

@Lou1511 I had my op 12 Dec. I have some very loose strong days and some very tight nervous days. I don’t really know why. I am getting out and on with life now rather than just focussing on walking around the block to get the steps in. I guess sometimes I’m more tired as a result and sometimes slightly overdoing it. I am enjoying life though and feeling as though I’ve got something back that i’d lost.

My daughter said she thinks I just set unrealistic goals for my recovery as for the first few weeks I really seemed to be recovering well then it plateaued.
I think your daughter is spot on.

Isn't really our fault as usually ow OS does a Superb job but l doesnt exactly expound on short term recovery vs long term.

Keep the faith, friend.
Slow and steady is the way to go!

I guess everyone has touched on the most common causes. Don't forget to rest and ice, it still applies even years after when things hurt, it does feel good. We'll all sign a pass so you can skip the exercises for a week or for ever whichever you choose. You say you walked where it was slippery? Tensing up to maintain balance can strain muscles. Also any terrain that's not flat will really make your legs hurt. I can say from experience you would really have to go some to mess up these replacements. I recently did my best and yet after x-rays and examination they assured me the hips were fine and I had just damaged the muscles. Back to the rest and ice and that was on a 5 yo hip.

It’s always nice to get some reassurance. You’ve received good advice here but it would still be nice to get your OS involved too. He might have a good suggestion for you.
Wondering if you bought new shoes for your recovery? Our old shoes have an unhealthy wear pattern from our limping around for months before the surgery.
So if you haven’t I’d suggest doing that, too.
I put on an old pair when I was a couple months out in my own recovery and was shocked to feel my body shift into an awful stance and gait.
Threw them right into the trash!
Your heavy boots sound like they did add to your issues, which reminded me about wearing old, worn shoes, too.
I’m so happy that you are feeling a bit more hopeful! Have a great weekend. :)

Aww thanks so much everyone I don’t feel as alone now. Even though I have an amazing family n circle of friends I’m really lucky to have none of them have been through it so don’t know first hand how it feels etc so speaking to you guys helps so much.
Good shout about new shoes I picked a pair up of mine and they are worn to one side so maybe that doesn’t help.
I do think I tense a bit when walking so maybe I’ll try n improve on that that too.
Currently sat with ice on which does seem to help.
The consultant did say at the review he’d done the bone part but the tissue etc would take time as the hip was so bad it had worn through the cartilage etc.
Also I had to have one of those special hips coz my bone gap is narrow or something.
So it meant I had to have a bigger incision.
I think because after a few weeks I felt amazing compared to how I did feel. Then I seemed to plateau I feel im no longer improving which I know is silly.
Think I’ll ring tomorrow n speak to os and maybe speak to drs just to make sure there’s no underlying issue with the knee.
Although I was told that because pre op the leg difference was so bad that my right leg was taking all the strain and I was overcompensating.
But I did think it would have started to improve now but if anything seems worse.
Thanks again everyone means a lot xxx

Good for you! Check out any shoes that you frequently wear. it's a big deal to get better support for your new hip and in fact, your entire body.
I started with a good walking shoe.

Also, have we discussed walking carefully, using the heel toe gait? It's the normal way to walk, but gosh, after our joint deteriorates we forget how to do it! Here's a little blurb with a visual to help describe it.

As for your gait, if you're limping, here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
1674960108085.png

Wondering if you are using a cane when you walk? Maybe a little extra support would help you while trying to get your strength and gait back to normal.

We all need a good pep talk during our recovery. We are here and ready to offer support,,, you got this!

Bless you thanks so much that was so helpful and a good reminder.
When I came off crutches I was very aware of the heel too but to be honest I think I’ve got complacent and not paid as much attention.
Something I need to start checking on.
I’m more sort of leaning than limping I think my body got used to the leaning pre op coz of the leg difference I think my brain just goes into bad habits.
I’m the same up and downstairs I struggle to do it normally my brain seems to switch off. I’m that used to doing it one step at a time.
Really appreciate all your help n support think I’ve come up with plan.

1. Phone n speak to hospital where I had the hip done consultant did say at my review phone them not my gp if I had any questions about my hip.
2 depending on what they say phone gp n see if I can get an appointment to just look at knee n make sure there’s nothing else going on.
3. New shoes
4. Watch my walking n remembering heel to n not shuffle shuffle
5 try n remain positive and remember it’s going to take time and if it’s worst case scenario that I need new knees too I’ll have to deal with it

Thanks again means a lot xxx

I think my brain just goes into bad habits.
You are not alone, Lou! That is why we remind members that heel-toe walking takes concentration. I had to constantly remind myself, but it was also pointed out to me by others, on occasion, that I was limping, when I thought I no longer was. I fell back into the bad habit early on especially if I was tired. You may find the same.

Accessing stairs toddler style is also a tough habit to break. These poor habits become comfortable and ingrained in us as our hip deteriorates.

Try to remind yourself often that this recovery lasts a full year. Many notice improvement into their second and third years post op. Taking a relaxed slow and easy approach should get you to where you want to be.

Your physicians may x-ray your knee / knees and if they do hopefully all looks as it should and you can let go of the worry your knees are next up for replacement.

We're always available for support and encouragement so please don't hesitate to reach out. Thanks for joining us and sharing your journey!

Sounds like you've hit one of the recovery slumps, we've all done it. Most of us have had recovery set backs where we go backwards from doing too much and have to re-recover to get back to where we were.
You mention leaning instead of limping. Recently I had a set back with my left hip and that's exactly how I was walking. I strained the muscles so basically I was in THR recovery mode again and the muscles needed rest and ice.
As far as walking better the only thing I found to make me walk better was to walk better. I know that sounds really dumb but I would walk very slow and with good form and posture, think movie version of finishing school where they show someone walking with a book on their head. Skip the book but walk short distance with good posture and be very conscious of how it feels.

Thanks so much yeah that makes a lot of sense I think I’ve developed bad habits seem to shuffle n lean rather than heel toe strides guess I need to be more mindful.
Thanks again xxx

I think my brain just goes into bad habits.
You are not alone, Lou! That is why we remind members that heel-toe walking takes concentration. I had to constantly remind myself, but it was also pointed out to me by others, on occasion, that I was limping, when I thought I no longer was. I fell back into the bad habit early on especially if I was tired. You may find the same.

Accessing stairs toddler style is also a tough habit to break. These poor habits become comfortable and ingrained in us as our hip deteriorates.

Try to remind yourself often that this recovery lasts a full year. Many notice improvement into their second and third years post op. Taking a relaxed slow and easy approach should get you to where you want to be.

Your physicians may x-ray your knee / knees and if they do hopefully all looks as it should and you can let go of the worry your knees are next up for replacement.

We're always available for support and encouragement so please don't hesitate to reach out. Thanks for joining us and sharing your journey!
Thanks so much this made me smile as you’ve pretty much summed me up. I think because initially I seemed a lot better I thought ooh I’m fixed. So each set back seems like a failure if that makes sense.
Thank you so much for all your advice xxx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks