THR Hip Replacement 5th December

A little visual you may have seen around on the forum, but in case you haven't, it depicts the reality of recovery vs our expectations. :)

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

A little visual you may have seen around on the forum, but in case you haven't, it depicts the reality of recovery vs our expectations. :)

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434
Thanks ever so I’ve not seen this before but yeah that really helped xx

Ok phoned the hospital where I had hip replacement they asked lots of questions n basically said they think the aching is part of the healing process the lady said she’d speak to someone else n if they needed to speak to me if they had any concerns they’ll phone if I didn’t hear anything just get in touch if anything else happens and take it that it’s part of the healing process
Bought new shoes
Also phoned dr about my knee apparently they do this new thing where they refer you to physio who examine you and if they think you need more tests etc they can action it. So I’ve got appointment next Tuesday
So at least I’m no longer in limbo and have a kinda plan
Thanks again everyone xxxx

I am experiencing much the same pain 9 weeks after RTHR. Mine isn't really a pain, more like "pressure" in the hip area. I notice muscle soreness after last PT in both legs, I think just from muscles getting used to being more active again. Good Luck

Happy Four Month Anniversary and best wishes for your appointment next Tuesday. Please let us know how it goes. I hope you have a lovely Easter, if you celebrate!
@Lou1511

Thanks so much really appreciate all your help.
Ok went to the physio assessment she did lots of strength tests and examined my knee.
Basically said she doesn’t think it has serious arthritis maybe very mild but I have good range of movement etc so she pretty much ruled that out. Said no need for X-ray or anything.
Said pain could be from overcompensating or my meniscus could be slightly damaged.
Gave me a list of knee exercises to try and said to do them for 8 weeks and if no improvement to go back.
Got the feeling that as lovely as she was she thought I was complaining over nothing.
Said I’ve recovered really well and it takes time etc.
So as relieved as I am she doesn’t think it’s anything serious I’m still in pain.
Guess I’ll just have to try the exercises n see what happens

If she's still guessing where the pain "could" be coming from, I wished she'd considered an x-ray worth her time.

It's frustrating when our pain concerns aren't taken seriously. We feel unheard and worry something important is being missed.

Hopefully she's right...just overcompensating, etc. But if your gut tells you to get a second opinion, please do. And keep us posted. Good luck!

If she's still guessing where the pain "could" be coming from, I wished she'd considered an x-ray worth her time.

It's frustrating when our pain concerns aren't taken seriously. We feel unheard and worry something important is being missed.

Hopefully she's right...just overcompensating, etc. But if your gut tells you to get a second opinion, please do. And keep us posted. Good luck!
Thanks so much yeah she looked horrified when I said don’t you think I need an X-ray the X-ray dept is in the same building there was literally no one in there. But you can’t get one without the physio coordinator or dr referring you n getting a drs appointment is harder than winning lottery.
She did seem very thorough and said I had a very good range of movement in my knee and no red flag signs.
She said my knee hasn’t really had time to recover from supporting and as the leg length was very significant and my right knee had to support my left side for a long time it won’t be a quick fix
She gave me a sheet of exercises that will help strengthen my knee not just my hip and also suggested self referring to the other bit of physio who should also be able to look at my gait etc so will do that too.
I mean I am obviously relieved she wasn’t concerned and thought it was anything major but it is still bit limbo land.
But every medical person I see seems to be singing from the same hymn sheet takes time over compensating etc etc
So I guess I’ll just have to wait n see. Keep icing do the exercises n hope for the best.
Thanks again xxx

Hi—I am one month behind you and had quite a bit of knee pain for awhile. My PT said it was due to gait which was part protective habits (as mentioned above) and part bc my knee was falling in— due to other weak muscles. Slowing down and focusing on heel-toe walking has helped the most I think, but I also started working on glute and hamstring exercises. I also bought a percussive massage tool which also has been great when things tighten up.

Hi—I am one month behind you and had quite a bit of knee pain for awhile. My PT said it was due to gait which was part protective habits (as mentioned above) and part bc my knee was falling in— due to other weak muscles. Slowing down and focusing on heel-toe walking has helped the most I think, but I also started working on glute and hamstring exercises. I also bought a percussive massage tool which also has been great when things tighten up.
Thanks so much for reaching out really appreciate it. Hope your knee pain is getting better. Would you mind sharing what exercises you do please xxx

Feeling very sorry for myself tonight
Still a bit unsteady if I get up from sitting too long.
My knee still really painful
N everyone is like it will take time over compensating early days blah blah
But surely there should have been some improvement in my knee by now
Sorry for the pitiful note it’s just getting me down

Hi—I’m sorry I didn’t see your question earlier. What has helped my knee pain the most I think is massaging deeply my entire leg. Inner thigh near knee, but all the way up as well. Also my quad and hamstring. For exercises I’ve been doing side leg lifts and bridges to get my glute stronger. Hang in there. Are you doing any physical therapy?

Hi—I’m sorry I didn’t see your question earlier. What has helped my knee pain the most I think is massaging deeply my entire leg. Inner thigh near knee, but all the way up as well. Also my quad and hamstring. For exercises I’ve been doing side leg lifts and bridges to get my glute stronger. Hang in there. Are you doing any physical therapy?
Thanks ever so I’ve got a massage gun and I’ve been doing the percussion massage since I saw it helped and I guess it’s a bit better but not been doing it long.
I’m on the waiting list to join the waiting list for physio think it’s 8 to 12 week wait then I should be allowed to join the actual waiting list god knows how long that is.
Thanks so much for your help xxx

I’m on the waiting list to join the waiting list for physio think it’s 8 to 12 week wait then I should be allowed to join the actual waiting list god knows how long that is.

Oh my god, what circle of Dante’s hell do they call this? Health care red tape is astonishing. I’m so sorry you have such a long wait wait wait again process before you can see a PT.

In the meantime if you ever find the Theragun too intense you might be able to find a manual rolling massager (see attached image) online or just use a rolling pin to smooth the muscles.

Attachments

• 1B1B8B58-5671-4334-A234-60377970C18E.jpeg
    1B1B8B58-5671-4334-A234-60377970C18E.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 36
I know it’s rubbish nhs is in such a mess

Thanks so much it seems to help at the moment afterwards I just put anti inflammatory cream on or ice.
Will have the see talk about heal thyself ❤

I'm far from smart but I don't understand how any physio will help with pain. Does ice, heat or massage help it? If so then many times it's soft tissue. I've had the other end of it with my knee where it was in the joint. Neither one would seem to benefit by more stress.

It has become clear to me reading this board @Eman85 that PT comes in radically different forms. Some are pushy and unhelpful. Mine has all kinds of high tech equipment that she uses for low or no impact muscle gain and for deep muscle and tissue release and repair. There really don’t seem to be any rules for PT and it can run the spectrum from terrible to incredible. Hopefully @Lou1511 will eventually have access to the “incredible” part of the scale! But I totally agree that ice and walking seem to be the two never-fail remedies…

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back