• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Hip replacement 4 months after arthroscopy

Jennthinks

Country
United States United States
Hello all,
I recently joined and wanted to tell my hip story and see if any others had similar experiences.

I had my first left hip arthroscopy in January of 2018 for torn labrum, cam and pincer impingement, it band release. The pain decreased after surgery and then within 9 months was back to it's presurgical pain level.

I went to a different orthopedic practice at one year post-op and the next doctor told me it was typical pain at this time after surgery and I needed to strengthen. Add 3 months of strengthening and still having bad pain level. MRI comes back labrum is torn again and cam impingement still there. He suggests repair or replacement but he wanted to go with repair because he thought he could fix it and I'm so young. I'm 46.

2nd arthroscopy June 2019. Once inside he removed cartilage that had come off the bone and scraped the bone to have scar tissue form as a replacement for the missing cartilage. 3 spots of missing cartilage, one the size of a dime, not sure about the others.

6 weeks completely pain free, took Tylenol after surgery. 4 weeks of PT also in there. The pain then starts coming back. Same exact pain. I'm told this is typical at 2 months postop and he gives me a steroid pack and says go back to no weight bearing for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, Steroid pack barely helps and my pain level is back to 8/10, constant and it doesn't matter if I'm moving it still hurts.

Went to a third Ortho because I moved to a new city and bring my interoperative photos from the 2nd surgery. I'm now 3 months post-op. X-rays taken at the new Ortho show arthritis. I see the ARNP with my surgery photos, she looks them over with my x-rays and says I'm bone on bone and I need replacement. Replacement is scheduled for October 28th.

Has anyone else had replacement that soon after repair? Anyone else have cartilage removed with a repair?

Thanks for reading!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and welcome.:wave:
I'm going to have to think really hard and maybe research...honestly.
Many members I've seen go from arthroscopy to replacement...and glad they did, I might add. However dont remember the earliest timeline.
I don't think you have to suffer for longer to realize that this procedure wasn't helpful.
This is likely your cure...which is what I needed.
Glad you are to have this done soon as your pain levels are so high.
Chronic pain is horrid no matter your age.
Big sympathy hugs from me.

Last edited:

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
@Jennthinks Sorry you have been through so much. My only experience with trying to go the arthroscopy approach was the doctor telling me frankly, if she did the procedure, I might feel good for 6 weeks and then I would be back to where I was before the procedure, so she did not recommend it. I have a cam impingement, and was told if they shear off the extra bone, most likely it would grow back.
I was told back then, (2013) that the little pieces of torn cartilage, make more torn cartilage, and that is why if you only have a little damage, they might go in to clean it up.
One member here, I remember reading, tried a technique to grow the cartilage back, I think it is called micro something, and that was unsuccessful.

dlp

senior
Country
I had arthroscopic surgery for FAI about a year before my 1st THR. Pain was getting really bad in both hips, especially the left, but finally reached a breaking point and I decided to do something about it. My OS did some X-rays, and the diagnosis was osteoarthritis on top of Cam and Pincer impingement on my left side.
He gave me the option of having arthroscopic surgery, but did say that it would be a question of WHEN, not IF, I would need THR. I decided to try arthroscopic surgery, since he said it could possibly give up to a few years of relief. Actual time of serious relief was less than 6 months and the OA started creeping back in. Nothing helped the pain. Tried a cortisone injection, and that worked for about 8 weeks.
Finally gave in and decided it was time for THR.

Your experience sounds frustrating, but hopefully getting the new hips clears up all of the pain for you. Did wonders for me! Good luck.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Wishing you all the best as you begin your healing journey.
Healing hugs in advance @Jennthinks :friends:

Grammy57

Country
I had an arthroscopy done 2/8/19. I wish I hadn't as I was worse after the surgery than before. Nothing ever showed on imaging so the Dr did the 'scope. Found torn labrum, torn tendon, busitis, bone on bone so did micro-fracture and FAI. I do have a few good days at a time. Actually one whole week. But nights are awful. I am scheduled for total hip replacement 12/5/19, 8 months from 'scope to replacement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Beezel
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom