Hip Arthroscopy Hip recovery

kweberhen

Country
United States United States
Good morning: I had my left hip replaced on April 28, 2022. I still have pain in my thighs, hips, and feel very achy. I do exercise. I try not to take prescribed drugs. I am also wondering if the reason why I am in pain still is do to my Aromatase inhibitor breast cancer treatment. Does this treatment make it worse? I am scheduled to get my other hip done in August 2022.

Hello and welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I‘m sorry you’re dealing with pain from your hip surgery along with breast cancer treatment. Prayers for perfect healing. :prayer:

Did you have a total hip replacement on April 28th, or Hip Arthroscopy? Please clarify.
Pain is not unusual at only two months post op. Recovery can take a full year, no matter which procedure you had, even longer for some. I guess I’d look at pain control first, wondering if you’re using any? If so, what? Next, possibly your activity is the problem, since you mentioned exercise. Please share whether it’s PT, or something you’re doing on your own, also, which exercises you’re engaging in, as that may be your problem.

As far as treatment for breast cancer interfering with your hip recovery, I’d advise you discuss it with your doctors, I’m sure your body is working hard to heal from two issues simultaneously which is a stressor.
I will leave some guidelines below which may help with your pain.

If you’ll share the exact date of your next THR we’ll add it to your signature.
Best wishes for all and also for your comfort. :) :-) (:

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back