THR Hip Recovery

@Layla

I did have my other hip X-rayed. It showed arthritis but not as bad as my replaced one. I just had moderate arthritis in the replaced hip but it was bone on bone, hip dysplasia ( hip was shaped like an L) and a torn labrum. I’m assuming I don’t have hip dysplasia in the other hip. Maybe OS will X-ray both hips for my follow-up. Hubby said I should just store all my rehab paraphernalia in case I have to have the other replaced.

I’m sleeping really well. Sometimes have to get up a little earlier than I’d like because I get uncomfortable but not too bad!

Day 21 post-op

Today was one of those set back days. Woke up sore and limping. It continued all afternoon. Went to PT. Told her I was having an off day and was hurting. I was originally going to drive, for the first time, to PT. Hubby could see I was in pain & struggling and drove me. Luckily he was working from home today. I think I could have done it, but I think I would have been hurting more. She asked me where I was hurting (which was basically the entire leg); thigh, groin, knee, shin, calf. We did exercises to target those areas and she did a massage. I went in w a pain level of 4-5 and left w a 2. I came home, iced and elevated and I’m back to walking normal and not limping. I’m sure the 2 ibuprofen I took when I got home has something to do with it too.

I went to PT for about a month last fall and I have to say I wasn’t a fan. I’m going to the same place but have 2 different PT’s and I’ve been really pleased after both sessions. I’ve walked out of there feeling better both times. But to be fair, last Fall, PT was all over the place because we were working on hip pain and a herniated disc. This time it’s more targeted. Hope the good progress at PT continues.

@BoneSmart I had my right hip replaced. Can that be added to my signature?

Thank you!

Day 23

Tomorrow I visit my OS for the first time since surgery. I'm looking forward to seeing what the incision looks like since it still has the original bandage on. I was re-reading the post-op packet they gave me last night and I'm a little confused; but it's too late now. It said to leave the bandage on until my appointment and they would take it off. But then it also said to let them know if it had a green discharge, was red, swollen, etc. I can't see anything but a very nasty/ratty looking bandage! No telling what's under it!

My daughter showed me on my iphone. under the Health app., how it tracks "double support time (% of time during a walk that both feet are on the ground), walking asymmetry, walking speed and step length". Very interesting to track! I also joined One Step. Very similar info but a little different. My Step Rate is optimal, asymmetry a little more on my non-operated side and my stride length/speed are impaired. Something to work on but I know it will eventually come. I was hoping to walk around the block this week in my new walking shoes. Don't think that's going to happen. I walked 5 houses down today, no aids, and it was a big of a struggle. I think my goal will have to be walking about 1/2 of just my street.

Tomorrow-OS bandage removal and PT!

I found my one way limit and tried to go one house farther every day @Teresa17. When I could get halfway around the block and back I knew I could go all the way around. Slow and steady wins the race!

How did it go...how does the incision look? Do tell, we’re all ears and would love to hear how your visit with the surgeon went. :) Hopefully all is well, your questions were answered and you left feeling reassured and happy with your visit.
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Teresa17

@FCBayern Good idea! Thank you.

@Layla I drove, for the first time since March 22nd. I was a little apprehensive because it was well over an hour and Friday traffic is the worse, but it was a piece of cake- no problem! Post-op visit w PA went well. It was great to get the bandage off and see the incision. When she took the stitches out, it really hurt. She said it wouldn’t hurt but it brought tears to my eyes and we had to take a break. I thought it was just the few stitches at the end but then she showed it to me and it was as long as my incision- close to 6 inches. I’m guessing I must have felt her pulling it through and that’s what caused the pain.

She said the incision looked really good and as soon as the thin scab is gone, in a few weeks, I can take a bath and go swimming. Just in time for summer! She also said my recovery was ahead of schedule. Yeah! I can go back to work as soon as I feel up to it but she recommended waiting a couple weeks (I’m a professional organizer and do a LOT of squatting and bending over). She also recommended that PT work with me on proper squatting/bending. I totally agree, I’ve been doing the golfers bend for nearly a year. I mentioned my off/ painful days and she said that could continue for 6-12 months. Luckily those are only a few a week.

They took an x-ray of my hips. It looked like the implant was higher in the x-ray. I mentioned that to her and, I believe, she agreed. She said they line up the pelvic bones more than the hip bones. That peoples hips move differently and it was most important for the pelvic area to be aligned than the hip bones. Does that sound correct? The pelvic bones were even.

I have a follow-up with the surgeon at 3 months. Overall, I’m happy w the implant and progress. PT had me practicing standing up/ sitting down Which was good since I’ve spent the better part of a year using my opposite leg for that.

I’ll post my incision scar on the board. Have a great weekend!

@Layla This has been on my mind and may be a bit of an odd question. It seems like a lot of people have had both hips replaced. I’m curious to know if after having one replaced, what is the likelihood of having to have the other replaced too?
Thanks for asking as I have the same question. Currently my left hip is having no problems but it’s hard not to worry if it’s inevitable that it too will need replacing..... for now I’m telling myself I have 2 good hips! Sounds like you’re doing really well! Congratulations on your mobility:)

4 weeks Post-Op

My incision is healing nicely. The PA put a type of glue over my scab last week to protect it. It’s flaked off now and the scab is gone. Scar looks good. One part, that indents on my rear, is still healing, but the rest looks really good.

I’m able to comfortably sleep on both sides, with my knee pillow, which is great. I packed up all of my recovery paraphernalia - the walker, grabber, elevated potty, etc and I’m storing it in the attic. Hopefully, I’ll NEVER need it again, but it’s there. I’m returning the cane. Never needed it or used it. Only thing I’m still using is the wedge pillow to elevate my leg in the morning and night.

I feel like I’m walking well, most of the time, and the One Step is confirming it. Today my asymmetry was at 0 which is the best it can be! Still need to work on stride length and speed but I know that will come.

@Layla Should I be putting something, like Cerave, on my scar so it will look nice?

You’re doing great, Teresa! I recall the one month point as feeling really good physically and being so thankful, finally, for the gift of a second chance. I wasn’t as brave as you though, not yet sleeping on my side, my preferred position. I piled those recovery articles in a corner in my home and it was a happy day that I drove to return them to my parents, who borrowed them to me. Great news on the One Step also,

The skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil. I used Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin D because I had past experience with Bio Oil which I found greasy and I don’t care for that.

The one exception to this guidance is a product called ACTIVE Skin Repair Hydrogel. This gel contains hypochlorous (HOCL), a compound made naturally by your body to promote healing. It can be applied to your incision at any point during recovery - it's a germ fighter as well as a healing and moisturizing agent. But you still should discuss its use with your surgeon before using it.

Hope this helps and hope you have a great Thursday and weekend! :)
@Teresa17

It’s April 23rd...so one month post op. Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope today is a good one and the weekend too.
A flower for you on this special day :flwrysmile:
@Teresa17

Congrats on your one month of having a new hip! I’m following you as you are slightly ahead of me. Sounds like you are doing really well. Have a great weekend

5 Week Update

I went for a longer walk yesterday. I’ve been walking without aids since about week 2, and I have been running errands, but besides walking around the house, in a store, and from parking lot to store, I had not tried walking any distance yet. So, yesterday I walked around the block-3/4 of a mile. No problem but my knee started tingling. I slowed my pace a little which helped some. At one point I was afraid I wasn’t going to make it all the way around. I iced when I got home.

Sunday, hubby and I went on a 30 min bike ride around the neighbourhood. No problem there- except I made the mistake of throwing my operated leg over the bike. Ouch.

I cancelled my PT for today. I’m just going to go once a week. I still have to pay a 20% co-pay and I don’t see the point in going twice in 2-3 days. I have the exercises and can do them at home. They can change the exercises once a week. I have found them beneficial. When my groin gets tight or my thigh hurts, the hip flexor stretch and single leg bent knee fallouts really help. I don’t have the One Step PT appt till May 5th.

My incision is REALLY starting to itch. Any remedies for this?? I’ve been rubbing & scratching to the side of it. Also, can I get a link to the scar/ incision post?

Hi Teresa17....it is impressive to hear you have been walking without aids since week 2! I finally hit that goal on Friday, just a few days before my one month anniversary. I’ve been walking 1-2 miles a day since I got there. That along with the PT and sitting all day for work the last few days have me sore this evening!

Just wanted to say hello. It’s great to ready your recovery thread!:loveshwr:

@Missy45 Wow! walking 1-2 miles is really impressive! I walked 3/4 of a mile a few days ago. It was ok, but that night my knee gave out 3 times in a row. I walked a mile today, still got the tingling knee. DoEd your knee bother you when you walk?

The other day, I leaned over to get something off the floor of my car ( I leaned sideways on my operated side) and my hip popped. It kinda scared me. It didn’t hurt or cause any issues later. I texted my OS and this is what he said “ It’s normal for the hip to separate from the socket for a moment & then pop back in especially if you put your hip at an extreme motion. The capsule around the hip should be pretty darn tough at this point and keep you from dislocating. Hasn’t been a problem yet but don’t fall! “

Hes always saying “Don’t fall!” Kinda freaks me out!

Hes always saying “Don’t fall!” Kinda freaks me out!

Please don’t allow this to freak you out. He’s only reminding you to be careful. My OS, or his PA, I can’t recall which, told me to move slowly, more thoughtfully for a time as I began healing. It’s easy to fall into old habits or quick movements when we’re feeling good...like we’re healed, which of course we’re not at only 5 weeks post op. I know you understand this.

I’ve read many instances on BoneSmart of accidental falls early on that frightened people more than it caused them any harm.

I hope you have a lovely weekend, Teresa. :SUNsmile:

My OS always gives me that advice and it's not bad advice. There have been a few fall, sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. As far as your hip capsule goes everyone is different but in my opinion the longer you can go without putting strain on it the better and faster it will heal. That is the reason for restrictions. Many get worked up over posterior approach because of the restrictions but no matter what the approach the capsule is stressed to dislocate the joint. Just like all of the rest of the soft tissue in the area it takes a while to heal and gain it's strength again.
Walking is great. The one thing I figured out for me was quality was much more important than quantity. The longer I tried to walk the sloppier my walking was. That wasn't accomplishing anything, if anything it was causing undue pain and bad habits. I found walking short distances properly worked out better.

I remember falling hard on my operated hip 4 months after my first hip replacement. I fell right on my operated hip, HARD. I was in Amsterdam at the time and I was so freaked out. I was sore, but everything was fine. Then, I fell again off a Segway 8 months after the surgery. Again, right on my operated hip. No damage. I was lucky. Good for you with your walking. I’ve started venturing outside my house a bit. I bring my cane, but walk without it until it starts to feel to sore.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie