THR Hip Recovery

Happy Two Week Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice Easter and the week is starting out well.
Wishing you a good day! :SUNsmile:
@Teresa17

Day 14

Went out for the first time since surgery. I walked down the stairs normally; I had totally forgotten about the hip replacement until my husband made a comment about how I was walking down the stairs like it was nothing. I’m walking without any aides but brought my cane just in case.

I had my PT evaluation, went to Best Buy and lunch with hubby. It really felt good to get out. I feel like I’ve gotten used to not really doing much but elevating/icing. I need to start balancing my days out by doing more and still continuing to take care of myself. My knee still feels like it swells/ get sore. I didn’t use my cane at all and feel I’m walking normally. I still have to watch getting in and out of the car since I still have groin pain.

I took off the compression stockings 2 days ago and I’m not wearing them any more. I still wear the hiprap at night to keep the bandage from curling/coming off. I see the OS next week to get the bandage off. Looking forward to seeing what the surgery site looks like. I’m not sure how others can tell they’re bruised. My bandage isn’t that big, about the size of my hand, and I only see a small bruise at the edge.

This morning I took my usual 2 ibuprofen, muscle spasm, Tramadol, blood thinners, and then 2 more ibuprofen in the afternoon. I‘m still taking an oxy and the muscle spasm meds at bedtime. I sleep mostly without issue through the night. Sometimes I wake up about 3 but usually fall asleep unless my heels are sore from sleeping on my back or my back is sore. I can sleep, with no issue, on my non-operated side. I can lay on my operated side for a few minutes then feel a twinge and roll back over. I think I’ll back off the oxy this week and maybe go w Tramadol. I only have a few left anyway.

For those reading my post-op and don’t know, I had a SuperPath procedure and do not have any restrictions, only guided by my pain tolerance. I went home the same day of my procedure after walking the hospital hallway and up/ down a flight of stairs.

I‘m getting my 2nd COVID shot tomorrow. Hope I don’t get any of the bad reactions I’ve heard about!

Last edited:
@Teresa17 wow I’m so amazed that you’re climbing the stairs normally, walking without any aids, and sleeping on your sides already!! That’s so impressive! I’m so cautious, I haven’t tried sleeping on the operative side yet and am still using one crutch for walking and the stairs. Good luck with your second Covid vaccine!

I have been lurking on this forum since shortly after my lthr 03/10/2020, week before CA shutdown. Reading others’ stories and advice helped Me get through it. Had pain, swelling, no sleep etc...started with my OS telling us it was the worst arthritis he had seen and had to use “other methods” to dislocate my hip. I always imagine a crowbar because that’s how it felt after initial meds wore off. Anyways, I digress.

Even with all the stuff that prevented my having a good sleep, at some point, the primary issue was painful heels. My wife would put rolled towels under my ankles, which just swapped one pain for another. I trashed the TED stockings early because they contributed to heel pain. I don’t normally sleep on my back for long because I snore so my wife would roll me to my side. I couldn’t even think about sleeping on my side so it’s amazing you can even for a short time. Also got some little cushions from Amazon made to reduce the pain. They were good for about 15 minutes. No relief until I felt good enough to sleep on my sides.

So, 02/23/2021, I have my right thr. The arthritis was bad but nothing like my left. Hardly any swelling...I could actually see between my thighs while sitting on the commode. My heels were painful again so I was constantly moving and snoring again. My wife still works and she needs rest. Besides, I can only sleep for 2 hours at a time and if I wake then I have to pee...one begets the other. I decided to sleep in our office/bedroom on a cheap little futon that my 19 yo granddaughter put there. It was so short that my heels hang over the end...no more heel pain! I still get up every 2-3 hours but I don’t bother anyone.

@Teresa17
“ Sometimes I wake up about 3 but usually fall asleep unless my heels are sore from sleeping on my back....”
now you know why I never post...too long. Anyhoo, try scooting down the bed or get a cheap futon so your heels hang in the breeze, Then you can concentrate on all the other discomforts.

@L Wow! Your LTHR sounds VERY painful. I hope you are back to “normal” on that side by now. Thanks for the info on the futon. I think I’m almost over that hump- I hope! Did you have RTHR because of arthritis or some other reason since it wasn’t that bad? My RTHR was because of the labral tear that couldn’t be fixed because of the arthritis then also turned out I had hip dysplasia and was bone on bone- my hip was shaped like an L instead of round. OS said my left hip doesn’t have as much arthritis as my left. I’m just praying I won’t need the left replaced at some point. Sounds like so many people end up replacing both.

Day 16

I had the 2nd COVID vaccine yesterday. No side effects, so glad! I was kinda scared!
I have gotten to the point where I sometimes forget I even had surgery. Last night, I went to sit in my chair by sitting on my operated leg!:nah:I was quickly reminded! And the night before I did the same thing by getting into bed knee first from my operated leg. Didn’t hurt that much but it did remind me. But I am reminded every time I get up from sitting. I’m a little stiff and feel like I’m limping a little till I get moving. Still not using any walking aids.

I’m still taking 1 Tramadol, 2 ibuprofen, and then the blood thinners, spasm meds in the morning. Still a little sore and uncomfortable early in the am. I take 2 ibuprofen later in the day and then the spasm med and oxy at night. I think tonight is the last night for oxy.

I haven’t been napping the past few days but I’m still icing a few times a day and elevating my leg. My knee still feels “off”. Like I’ve tweaked it or something. Hopefully it’s still just a little swollen or something.

Tomorrow I have my first PT session. At my evaluation, she was very gentle and not aggressive at all. My OS wrote a detailed 2 page protocol for PT that they need to follow. I feel much better about PT because of this. OS told me I can go as few or as many times as I want; he wrote a prescription for 12 sessions.

:hi: Hi there,
It sounds like you’re doing really well, Teresa. Best of luck with PT tomorrow. Please remember, if anything hurts, don’t do it. I’d hate to see you stall your recovery when you’re doing so well. I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Teresa17

@Layla. Thank you! Is it normal for my knee to (still) feel “off”? It feels like either there may be some swelling still or like I tweaked it. I ice it but it will pop sometimes when I walk. It would sometimes pop before I had surgery too.

Last night, I went to sit in my chair by sitting on my operated leg!:nah:I was quickly reminded! And the night before I did the same thing by getting into bed knee first from my operated leg. Didn’t hurt that much but it did remind me.
Oh my goodness, I’ve caught myself doing both of these things so many times in the last few days! Maybe it’s a sign we’re getting back to normal!

Good Morning Teresa,
My guess is it’s the swelling at this point since you’re only two and a half weeks post op.
Depending upon the approach your surgeon used, the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process. Icing should help. Try icing it several times per day and see off you notice a difference.

You‘ve been doing really well and it’s still very early days in a recovery that can last a full year, even longer for some. Patience is key at this point, but it also won’t hurt to mention it to your surgeon if it’s still bothering you at your next visit. Wondering if you have arthritis in either knee?

I hope you have a nice Friday and peaceful weekend. We’re getting drenched in my neck of the woods. The grass is greening up quickly, which is a great benefit. Cheers! :flwrysmile:
@Teresa17

@HipMom143 I think it is!!
Last night, I went to sit in my chair by sitting on my operated leg!:nah:I was quickly reminded! And the night before I did the same thing by getting into bed knee first from my operated leg. Didn’t hurt that much but it did remind me.
Oh my goodness, I’ve caught myself doing both of these things so many times in the last few days! Maybe it’s a sign we’re getting back to normal!

@Layla
You‘ve been doing really well and it’s still very early days in a recovery that can last a full year, even longer for some. Patience is key at this point, but it also won’t hurt to mention it to your surgeon if it’s still bothering you at your next visit. Wondering if you have arthritis in either knee?

One of my many X-rays/MRI’s did mention arthritis in the knee. I don‘t have the best looking knees (hereditary) :badspidy:but it looks like there’s an extra bulge on the outside of the knee cap compared to the other.

I’ll try icing it directly more and hopefully it will go down.

I’ve felt more stiff walking around the past couple of days. My hubby even mentioned it last night. I feel I’m not walking as well as I was a few days ago even though I’m walking around more. A little disappointing but I know it’s still early.

@Teresa17 Replacing my right was inevitable. Months after the left I still had the LLD thing going. Few months before having right done I was always standing at a tilt both sideways and forwards, which resulted in sore hips and a sore back. I attributed the sore back to the news that I also had lower back arthritis. Often, when standing in a line I'd step out of my left flip flop just to feel "even" and provide relief. I was actually anxious to have my right done. It was also delayed by the Thanksgiving & Christmas surges until 02/23/2021. Leading up to that day, my hip was getting so bad I thought I'd have to start using a cane. Anyway, the first thing I did at hospital when they got me out of bed was to stand up straight (1st time in over 10 years) to compare leg lengths. They feel the same now and my hips are even!

The gist of this is to say if replacing the other seems imminent, do it while younger and before it gets really bad. I now have new muscle pains in my left but am grateful because I’m certain it’s due to using parts correctly now instead of the accommodations my body made. Really wish I had done this when I was only 60. Oh yeah...no lower back pain since standing upright and I’m 5’-11” again. Actually beginning to think I might be able to surf again when my prior goal was just to be able to walk my dogs and bend over to clean up after.

I am sure with a little more time all your kinks will be sorted.

@L. Wow! You have been through a lot! Congratulations and I hope you get to surfing again!

it’s still early.

Yep! :wink: Wait another week, or two and I’m sure you’ll notice the good progress you’re making. Ice that knee also. Hopefully the discomfort eases soon.
Have a good Sunday!

Day 20

Doing good! Pain & knee swelling are becoming less. Had PT last week. She did really well w me. OS had a 3 page detailed protocol on what to do & in what order. She mentioned that they don’t see a lot of hip patients. She massaged my adductor muscle which felt really good. That’s worth going to PT right there! She didn’t push at all and told me to stop when something hurt. I can’t remember which exercise it was, but there was one where I said I just couldn’t do it and we moved on to the next exercise.

I had an appt w OS PT on Wednesday to get bandage off and possibly an X-ray. Disappointed it’s now been moved to Friday. I’m anxious to see what it looks like!

@Layla I have a pretty sizable dent in my rear where the stitches are. I’m assuming this will go back to normal later after it heals? Also, in reading the “activity progress” it says to take a 15-30 minute walk. I’m walking w/out aids and pretty much have a “normal” day. I do the dishes, laundry, made bed w hubby, fix dinner, went out for dinner for daughters b-day etc. I try to sit every few hours and ice/elevate a couple hours. Should I still be incorporating the additional walk?

I have a pretty sizable dent in my rear where the stitches are. I’m assuming this will go back to normal later after it heals?
Your incision will eventually fade to a thin white line. I have an indentation at the bottom of mine that’s remained. It has the appearance the stitches were pulled too tight, but I believe it’s common and considered normal since both the OS and PA have seen it and never advised otherwise.
Should I still be incorporating the additional walk?
It sounds like what you’re doing is working well for you. Since your activity level is keeping you in motion without ill effect, I’d just keep on doing what you’re doing. Take any new activity slow and slowly build on it so you don’t end up in the dreaded ODIC :wink: (Over Did It Club) I think you’re doing great! :) I hope you have a nice week.

@Layla Thank you! I’m going to ask the PA when I see her Friday about the dent. It’s enough to where it can be seen in pants and swimsuits. As long as I’m getting a butt reduction, the least he could do is make the other side match!

Last edited:
@Layla This has been on my mind and may be a bit of an odd question. It seems like a lot of people have had both hips replaced. I’m curious to know if after having one replaced, what is the likelihood of having to have the other replaced too?

I am sorry, but I don’t have any stats on that to offer, but you’re right, it often happens. Did you have your other hip x-rayed through this process?

I had both of mine x-rayed a couple times, over as many years, before my surgery and had arthritis in both hips, one was worse and my non-op hip is still hanging in there in decent shape it seems almost four years post op.

This bothered me at first, the “when” might I have to do this again. I finally decided that I can’t sress about it or I’ll drive myself crazy. I figured I’ll worry about it if / when I need to.
One day at a time, that’s all we’re promised anyway, right? :wink:

I hope you have a peaceful evening and sleep well tonight. :)
@Teresa17

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks