Hip Recovery Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvsgirl

Hi fellow hippies, I have been registered for about 2 months (surgery 2-4-09) I would not say I was lurking because a lot of my questions were answered by other post. MY situation was I had a great surgeon, great care but he had the communication skills of a perch. I did not know what questions to ask since I do not know anyone else personally who has had the surgery. Just from my looking about on here and googling I did find out most of the basic info I needed. Also I had out patient PT for 4 weeks. I sleep on both sides with a bed pillow between my legs, is this the proper size? When can I lose the pillow? Use a cane when I go out but around house I walk with nothing. How much bending at this point? I use a grabber to put things in and out of the wash. Some things like changing linen on bed, I am not sure of so my DH does this. Have a recumbant exercise bike can I use this, I used a nu step at PT which is like a sit down eliptical machine. My hip feels fantastic but I also have ankylosing spondylitis and some mornings I have to wait IT out til my NSAID kicks in. Thanks for any more info.
Gentle Hugs to All

Re: Time for the boneSmart Book???

Hi Marvsgirl and welcome! I had RTHR the same day as your surgery! I still use a pillow between my legs when I sleep on either side, mainly because I just find it comfortable. I'm not using a cane or anything for walking at this point. Even though your OS has the communication skills of a perch (love that!), I would still contact his office and talk to his nurse. She should be able to answer the questions on your restrictions, bending and such. The recumbent bike isn't very comfortable for me, and the one I was using put me a little too close for comfort to the 90 degree restriction. I find a regular exercise bike much more comfortable. I've already done things like changing the bed linens, and I really don't even use the grabber anymore. Did you have anterior or posterior surgery? That makes a difference on your restrictions, too. Call your OS office, but ask any questions here, too. As you've probably found, we're a very friendly, helpful group, and love to share experiences!

Karen

Welcome, Marvsgirl. I moved your post to its own thread so that it can get the attention it deserves. This will ensure that the other thread is not derailed as people respond to the questions you pose.

I'm from the knee side, but you should be hearing from fellow "hippies" very soon.

Your OS should have told you how long he wants you to observe these restrictions. It's his decision and so many of them have different ideas about it all, it's better you get it from him. So ring his office in the morning and speak to his secretary or even his office nurse. She would be able to advise you as well.

Other than that, it sounds as if you are doing superbly. Well done!

The advice doesn't get better than that!!! :)!

Hi Jo - I see you moved Marvsgirl's post to its own thread - Hip Recovery Questions. Could you please move my response to her in this thread to her thread? Thanks, Jo - I knew you could!!!

Welcome Marvsgirl! As Josephine said, I would call your OS office and ask the nurse/secretary these questions, as every surgeon is a bit different. Have you seen your OS after surgery -a 6 week check-up? Did he explain to you when these precautions would be lifted?

Melissa

Sorry Jo - I just saw that Jamie moved her post, so Jamie, could you please move mine? Thanks!

S'okay - I'll do it!

Done!

Hey Marvsgirl,

Welcome! I had my posterior Lt hip done 5 days after you - so two months on Thursday. I agree with Karen on the recumbent. My PT likes it for hips, but I just couldn't get comfortable with it. Ask your surgeon about duration of restrictions. I'd imagine it's time, unless there's something specific about your case! It'd be hard to encourage you to change your routine without his/her blessing!

I have been sleeping without the pillow for several weeks and took my first mountain bike ride today, so I imagine he'll at least give you some leeway by now!

Sorry about the ankylosing spondylitis. That may change things, but I think you'll find a tremendous improvement in mobility with this new hip. I relied on my low back to do the bending before my surgery - doubly difficult for you I suspect. Welcome to recovery! It only gets better!

Sorry Jo - I just saw that Jamie moved her post, so Jamie, could you please move mine? Thanks!

Thanks for taking care of this, Jo.....

Karen....I somehow missed your answer and I appreciate you letting me (actually Jo since she fixed it) that it needed to be picked up too. THANKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound