Hip Problems and the Ignored Causes

pikesan

Country
United States United States
I just posted for the first time the other day... I have my first appointment to get a new hip on Jan 2019. Then I find this video...

Watching, I figure I'll try as many non-surgical treatments... AGAIN until January. All the anti-inflammatory foods and juice and turmeric and all that. Why not?

Reading the comments, every single person agrees? Basically hip surgery is a sham!? I can't believe that so folks that know, I hope you'll watch (sorry, it's LONG) and give some feedback. Thank you!

Hmmm.. maybe I should have looked at more videos. Turns out he's against vaccinations too. I shared the info with a friend and with all the things he's saying the total sum starts to sound like BS.

2nd edit.. lol. He's probably too extreme for me. Shoulda known when you're supposed to have 3 bowel movements a day, every day. Meat's bad, this bad, all that's bad... I can't live like that. If any of you have an opinion, I'd still love to hear it.

I shared the info with a friend and with all the things he's saying the total sum starts to sound like BS.
Nothing personal but this is the problem when people with no medical education watch these things. Actually, a lot of what he said is spot on. I watched the entire video and made these notes
  1. He is quite right about the issue of unilateral hip damage and the homeostasis of the body. It's like I've often said, everything's connected to everything else!
  2. He repeatedly says hips only last 10-15 years
  3. why are hip replacements wearing out? They don't!
  4. hips don't wear out!
  5. negative/positive pressure in the joint to aid fluid circulation
  6. NSAIDs destroy cartilage (Americal Journal of Medicine 1999)
  7. SI joint dysfunction vulnerable to a sedentary life style - true - which impacts on the autonomic nervous system
  8. compare between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems
  9. piriformis - muscles don't work on their own, most likely due to SI problems
  10. 'tight' psoas isn't unilateral
  11. using ice for tendinitis is bad
  12. Don't lay on your back with both legs bent! Good advice
  13. cobra exercise -
  14. 50% of low back issues arise from the neck
  15. clean the blood and the digestive system - okay
  16. THREE BMs a day and 'maybe a colonic'?
  17. no orthotics unless you've had toes removed! Jolly good suggestion! Also on a hard surface or on uneven ground like grass, pick things up with your toes
  18. hip belt for SI or IT problems
Just for the record, he is a chiropractor and naturopath so obviously, his thinking would be long those lines. Doesn't make it wrong though!
All the anti-inflammatory foods and juice and turmeric and all that. Why not?
Absolutely!
Basically hip surgery is a sham!?
That's NOT what he was saying! He was saying that there are heaps of other ways to deal with pains.
Turns out he's against vaccinations too.
That's nothing - I know numerous doctors, pharmacists and nurses who have misgivings about immunisation.

I read his book too. In my opinion, and this is my opinion, I do not think what he professes will cure the arthritis. I do think that some of the actions help control pain. I know I do control my pain and my pain has been greatly reduced where I think some days I will not have surgery. I have not heard of anyone being cured and that has avoided surgery from these methods. Key word is cure. Sometimes surgery is the cure. Again my opinion.

My BTHR feels like a cure for my end stage OA hips:)
Maybe the information I learned - per the good doctor - would've been helpful to know years before the wear and tear on my hips, but if you see the pictures of those misshapen raggedy femoral heads, I am not sure what else you would do.
You can't unring that bell !

Surgery is the only solution for some.
It is the only cure for hip dysplasia.
Delaying surgery is prolonging the inevitable. Living on borrowed time.
I wish I could do without.
Good luck to you!

@pikesan
Great to hear you have a date.
How will it feel without constant hip pain?
It feels life changing, amazing, invigorating and :yahoo:
I know you have struggled so much with this, so Great News that it won't be long now!
Roll on February!:tada:

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us! I've yet to watch the video but I plan to tonite when I have more time. Your thread and Josephines comments have spiked my curiosity.
Wishing you comfort as you await your February 4th date. Not long now...
@pikesan

Thank you Layla! Tomorrow it's happening!

@pikesan
Great to hear you have a date.
How will it feel without constant hip pain?
It feels life changing, amazing, invigorating and :yahoo:
I know you have struggled so much with this, so Great News that it won't be long now!
Roll on February!:tada:

Life changing! That's what I'm going for. I want to start a new chapter in my life! Thanks for the support.

:wave:See you on the healing side soon.
Bye bye Hip Pain!:yes!:

:wave:@pikesan
Read on other thread you are up and at 'em and home by now!:yes!:

Do start a recovery thread as I know your trepidation prior to surgery and your inspiring update will be helpful to others following your journey!
Now practice your patience muscle.:yes:
Want things to continue to go smoothly!:dancy:

Hi there, :wave:
Congrats on your new hip! I'm happy all went well for you and you're already home resting.
I'd like to encourage you to start a thread on the Recovery side. You'll find an abundance of support and encouragement there as you move through the healing process. Your posts will also be inspirational to those following behind you. Please join us.
Following are the Recovery Guidelines -

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide to

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @pikesan

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. We'd love to hear of the progress you've made over the past month.
Updates can be inspiring to those following behind you also. Please leave one if you have time.
A great week to you!
@pikesan

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie