Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip Preservation Surgery

Hi Stephen

Thank you for your reply it is nice knowing that other people in the same position understand the frustration. I must drive my husband up the wall sometimes but I think after 47 years married he should know me by now ha ha .

I don't know how you managed to walk around for 6 months my goodness. The doctor first told me it would take about 6 months to get back up and running, I thought ok let's get on with it. I am 8 months post up and still having to rely on a stick when out walking because of the weakness in my knee. I actually fell hard on my knee and that shunted the bone up and snapped the hip just below the ball joint so obviously the knee ligaments were inflamed, now my knee actually buckles under me and I am so scared of falling again as with getting told I had osteoporosis that was a double whammy my bones are easily broken. I am also not advised to drive yet as it is my right hip and because of the weakness I am not fully fit, so my car is sitting on the drive and I am practically climbing the walls ha ha . I am missing my job so much as well, as working with primary children I am not allowed to go back until I am able to walk unaided. I also miss all the crazy things I did with my grandson playing in the garden doing toss overs, racing around, off ground tick and mostly going on our cycle rides along the canal after school but never mind I am determined to get back to normal.

Good luck in your recovery hope all goes well, take care

Divipops.

Hello everyone,
I hope you’re all keeping well.
Just to update, I had my post-op with the surgeon today. He was very happy with the way the bone has healed on the X-ray but he said that I’d need to have another 5 weeks toe-touch until I see him again for another X-ray.
I feel ok about this really as at least it is healing well so far and I have already done over 10 weeks being housebound, so hopefully these next 5 won’t be as difficult to get through.
At least I know I’ll be able to start putting pressure through the leg after this so I’ll just have to be patient again.
Take care everybody and if anyone has any questions that may perhaps help them then please feel free to ask.
Best Wishes
Stephen :)

Hello and Happy Saturday, Stephen. :wave:
Thanks for sharing an update. Great news from your surgeon on the progression of healing. You’re a patient guy, which is a good virtue to have during recovery. I hope the next five weeks fly by.
A great weekend to you! :SUNsmile:
@Stephen1989

Hello and Happy Saturday, Stephen. :wave:
Thanks for sharing an update. Great news from your surgeon on the progression of healing. You’re a patient guy, which is a good virtue to have during recovery. I hope the next five weeks fly by.
A great weekend to you! :SUNsmile:
@Stephen1989
Thank you very much Layla and you :)

Happy Sunday, Stephen!
Two Months in, to date.
I hope you’re doing well. At least you’re now on the down side of toe-touch.
We‘re rooting for you...brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
@Stephen1989

Many thanks Layla. I’m trying to stay positive, the surgeons said pre-op that it would be up to 3 months toe-touch and turns out it will be that long. But after that I’m definitely going to start putting weight through the leg. I really have to get back to living my life which I won’t have done for over 9 months. I need to return to my home and job. I will really stress this to the surgeon and say how important it is for my mental health that I get back to normality.
I hope you’re keeping well. It’s nice of you to message me. My contact with the outside world has massively diminished since the injury and it’s nice to hear when people get in touch and wish me well.
Only a little over 2 and a half weeks now!!!
Best Wishes to you :)

Only a little over 2 and a half weeks now!!!
So awesome! :happydance:

It’s certainly understandable you’re anxious to get back to your life. Nine months is a long time and getting back to home and job will be your sweet reward soon. Stop by here any time you have a question, want some company, or need encouragement. Lights never go out @ BoneSmart and you’re always welcome here.
I hope your week is a good one!

Thank you very much Layla.
Yes, if they’d told me 9 months ago that it would take this long then I never would have thought I’d be able to get through it. Obviously my recovery was delayed by 6 months due to not being given an X-ray until mid-March, but I guess not knowing how long it was going to take helped in a way. I just keep telling myself that hopefully I’ll never have to experience this again and 9 months out of my life is a sacrifice worth making if I get the rest of my life pain-free. I hope you keep well and have a good week too. These forums are a great hive of knowledge and everyone has been very helpful and it’s nice to know people are here to talk.
Take care :)

Last edited:
Hi again,

I hope everybody is keeping well. :)

I’ve got my next surgeon’s appointment tomorrow :dancy::dancy::dancy:

I will then be able to start putting pressure through the leg. I have already been experimenting with walking with two crutches and one crutch while putting pressure through the leg and I can walk quite a long way and I don’t experience any pain, which is obviously good news.

I need to get back to my flat asap, I will be able to cope by myself as long as I can just have one crutch, so that I can cook and clean etc. I have also been using a bath board for the past 4 months. Does anybody know how long I will have to continue using this for and if I can get over and into the bath to have a shower without damaging my hip? As it will have been three months since the operation, is there still any worry of it re-fracturing or dislocating?

Many thanks

Best Wishes to you all!

Hi Stephen sounds as if you are doing remarkably well , the first time I got in the bath after my operation which was about 5 months later it took me longer to get out than it took have bath ha ha just take you time getting in and out I also found having a slip mat plus a towel in the bath after emptying the water out helped me have more grip, was worth the struggle. I am still awaiting physio as my knee is still giving way, it is now 9 months since my op we will get there in the end, good luck with appointment.

Hi Divipops,

Thank you for your reply and for your good wishes.

I am sorry to hear that you’re still having problems this long after the procedure. Have you been able to return to any of the activities you wanted to? I hope you can still enjoy spending time with your grandson even if you’re not quite as mobile.

That’s interesting to hear about the bath. I think I should be able to get over the bath ok and stand in the shower while not putting too much pressure on my left leg, as I only have short showers and apart from the odd minor bit of pain here and there, it feels fine.

I will let you all know how I get on tomorrow.

Take care Divipops and best of luck with your continued recovery! I hope you don’t have to wait too much longer for your physio, it might be worth chasing it up if you haven’t done so.

Hi, Stephen! You posted on my thread a while back - my turn on yours!

I had my pinning done three days before yours; I got the all-clear to go weight bearing as tolerated about 3-4 weeks ago. The problem now is building the muscles back up - the support muscles around the hip are quite sore and atrophied. I started being able to walk - really walk - only about two weeks ago, and the last two days I've graduated to one mile walks before I start to weeble-wobble. The first few days, getting up in the morning and putting full weight on the leg would make it quite sore - that's gotten a lot better over the last week or so. The adductor muscles are particularly sensitive for me.

And I'm back to yard work now - not running yet, but at least getting pretty mobile. Bending is becoming easier every day. Started taking showers - real showers - again just a couple weeks ago, and it's made all the difference. The first few days were a little touch and go, but it's gotten easier every day - I can now stand on one leg and wash the opposite foot (both ways!). Life's little excitements.

I haven't touched the crutches in about a week - my wife asked if she could put them away a few days ago, to which I agreed. :)

Good luck with your appointment!

Hi CogEngr,

Thank you for your message and good wishes.

That’s brilliant news that you’re recovering so well. Being able to walk so well without crutches and have proper showers is fantastic and very encouraging to hear. It gives me a lot of hope that I will be able to do similarly and I really hope that the surgeon will be happy for me to weight bear. Hopefully you have bid farewell to your crutches for good!

Best Wishes for continued success in your recovery.

Hi again everybody, :)

Just to update you all, I saw the surgeon again yesterday and thankfully I have very good news to share! :dancy: :dancy: :dancy:

He was really happy again with the X-ray and he said that the bone is healing really well, there’s good progress with the metal aligning to the bone (he put it better than I can!) :) and there’s no sign of any problems.

So as a result of all that, I can finally partial weight-bear!!! This means that I can put pressure through the leg while still using the crutches for another 6 weeks and then I can full weight-bear. I need to predominantly use 2 crutches, but he is happy for me to use just the one when I have to, like for cooking and carrying things around the flat etc. This is brilliant news for me as it means I can finally return to work and my flat! I’ll be able to live by myself again for the first time since last November and go for long walks and get a lot of independence back.

He also said I can throw the rest of the equipment in the bin, (only joking, I’ll return it to the hospital,) :) including the bath board and start having proper showers while standing now. I can also stand completely unaided and only have to use crutches when I am walking.

Needless to say I am really delighted with this news. Without meaning to moan, I had 6 months of intense pain from September-March while walking on the broken hip without any real pain relief and in real agony at times. I then had from March until yesterday non-weight-bearing and not being able to do anything for myself or walk for longer than 10 minutes around the estate. There were times when I thought I’d never get rid of this pain and that I may never properly return to full function. But now that I can, it’s a wonderful feeling! It’s like I’ve finally got my life back after nearly 10 months of being under what has felt like house arrest!

I’ll make sure that I’m careful though and I won’t be running any marathons for the next few days!:snork:

Thank you very much to everybody who has posted supportive messages, given advice and answered questions. This is a wonderful community which has really helped me to try and stay positive during my recovery.

If anybody is going through a similarly long time of inaction, as difficult as it is, just try to be patient. Time does eventually pass and you will get better and have brighter days ahead. In the early stages, 4 months seemed like an eternity but in all honesty apart from a few down moments, it has gone quite quickly and hasn’t been too bad. I know that I am lucky though that I have had my Mum doing everything for me and keeping me company, but just try to make the best of it and take enjoyment from little things.

Apologies for the gargantuan post! Please feel free to ask any questions and I wish you all all the best! I will keep updating this thread with my progress.

Best Wishes everybody

Great news Stephen, just take things easy , I am actually able to walk unaided in the house but use a stick outside as my knee just gives way, actually managed to have a game of swing ball with my grandson which felt a massive achievement he was so happy. He said at last you leg is getting better ha ha he is used to me playing and running mad but think them days have gone but we still have loads of fun that's the main thing. Take care

Thanks Divipops,

Yes I know it would be easy for me to get carried away and rush to do too much too quickly, so I really will have to pace myself. Just loving this new experience of being able to walk again!!!

That’s great that you’re able to play with your grandson a bit again. Kids can be very perceptive so it sounds like you’re heading in the right direction.

Sorry you‘ve still got problems with your knee, it should hopefully keep getting stronger. I guess that’s where the physio will really help.
Best Wishes

@Stephen1989 Congratulations on your new freedom! Take it slow and steady - you need to build up strength in that op leg and it may complain about being asked to work again.

I hope you can ease into your return to work. Can you do a phased return?

@Stephen1989 :yes!: Excellent up date! I am so delighted to hear that you are healing well and can now start returning to your normal life!

Thank you very much Jaycey and djklaugh. Yes as tempting as it is to enter the olympics, I think I’m going to need some more of that patience!

Yes fortunately my boss has been very sympathetic and understanding and I’m going to do flexi-time initially so I can choose how many hours I can work each day and I’m also able to have several breaks to do exercises etc.

Just so looking forward to getting back to it all!

I’ve got my next appointment with the surgeon in mid-September so sounds like I can go full weight-bearing in 6 weeks, without having another X-ray etc.

All the best

Such wonderful news, Stephen. I’m so happy for you! It’s been a long road getting to this point and I don’t believe anyone would think you were moaning as you explained your journey up until now. Thankfully things are finally looking up for you. We’re happy to read of your appreciation of the BoneSmart community and glad you joined all of us here.
Thank you for your words of support and encouragement to those following behind you and your willingness to answer questions from others. Please continue to share updates as time allows, we’d love to follow your progress,
Wishing you all the best!
@Stephen1989

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie