Hip Arthroscopy Hip Post-Op: is it normal to have THIS much pain?

Lyndsie1996

Country
United States United States
Hey guys! I just found this site tonight- though I wish someone told me about it when I was going through both of my total knee reconstructions! Anyways, I would love some advice.

I had surgery on 9th July 2020. On my right hip, my surgeon fixed my labrum which was completely detached and "shredded" as well as shaved/reshaped the decent sized pincer lesion I had and I have extremely loose joints so he tightened the joint more then he ever has on a patient. I'm 2 days shy of being 4 weeks post op. I started PT 1.5 weeks post op. I went once the last two weeks and was told I need to do twice starting this week but I canceled my first appt because I was in a lot of pain. Last week I was told to start weaning myself off crutches and that I should be off by the weekend. It's past the weekend and I've been trying to wean myself off like I'm supposed to but every time I put ANY weight on my leg I get a really sharp pain in the front and back of my hip. It's not like a sore muscle pain that the PT described is normal on my side and groin area-I know what that feels like when I try to bend, twist, or sit/stand/lay in one position too long. Is that normal? I feel like it shouldn't be if they're expecting me to be walking around right now. I have constant pain and if I try to move or do anything, it skyrockets. And nothing seems to help with the pain.

My surgeon described it as easy-peasy before surgery: patients are off crutches at 3 weeks. Then AFTER surgery he mentioned we wouldn't know if it's successful until 1 year post-op, won't have all my strength back for 2 years and will have a lot of pain with/post exercise for at least 6 months so I'm not quite sure what I should be expecting.

I'm 23. I'm very used to being on the go all the time but I've also had a handful of major surgeries and understand that I need to be patient with myself. I will be getting my left hip done in a month or two as well. I guess I just scared. Two weeks after a major surgery last year, I almost lost my life and ended up hospitalized for many weeks because of some rare complications of that surgery. I don't want any complications and I'm scared of not healing quickly enough to be able to handle getting my other side fixed.

@Lyndsie1996 Welcome to BoneSmart! I assume you had hip arthroscopy? Please confirm and I will put the information in your signature for you.

If you did have arthroscopy it can be a long and more painful recovery. Sounds like you are doing way too much physio. Can you stop and let your hip heal? You are not in training for anything. Strength will come when all the muscles and soft tissues settle.

I am afraid I disagree with setting any timeframe for being off crutches. I would keep using them until you feel confident and you no longer limp when walking unaided.

It's tragic that your surgeon didn't set your expectation right pre-op. Sounds like he is being realistic after the fact but that doesn't help you.

Are you icing your hip at all? Icing for 45-60 minutes several times per day will help ease the internal swelling that is causing your pain.

I'll leave our recovery guidelines here. They refer to hip replacement but your recovery is very similar.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Lyndsie1996 , I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this and you are in so much pain. Being a ‘novice’ myself (hip replaced on 25 June) I’m not in a position to offer advice, just support.

Though I have to say, trying to wean you off crutches at 4 weeks I think is extremely early. It should be down to when you feel confident enough.

My PT had me from 2 to 1 crutch at 5 weeks. 5 days later she had me on a cane. When I walk outside I go with 2 crutches as I don’t have the confidence with just one outside, particularly as the ground is quite uneven. If I get up in the night for the loo, I also use 2 crutches as then I am still half asleep. I’ll not take ANY chances.

So I can only suggest to go with how you feel, at your own pace. I do hope your pain eases soon :flwrysmile:

Hello and Welcome! Thanks for joining us.
I‘m sorry you’re struggling with pain and uncertainty. Given your history and the scary incident you experienced after a major surgery last year, I’m sure you’re hyper aware of everything. Your apprehension is understandable. Hopefully through, Jaycey’s, wise counsel and the Recovery Guidelines she left, coupled with Kathy‘s shared experience above, you’re feeling a bit more relaxed. It’s still such early days for you. I believe better days are on the way. Please stay in touch, we’re here for you! :)
@Lyndsie1996

@Jaycey Yes, I did have hip arthroscopy. Thank you for all of that information!

Hi @Lyndsie1996 , I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through this and you are in so much pain. Being a ‘novice’ myself (hip replaced on 25 June) I’m not in a position to offer advice, just support.

Though I have to say, trying to wean you off crutches at 4 weeks I think is extremely early. It should be down to when you feel confident enough.

My PT had me from 2 to 1 crutch at 5 weeks. 5 days later she had me on a cane. When I walk outside I go with 2 crutches as I don’t have the confidence with just one outside, particularly as the ground is quite uneven. If I get up in the night for the loo, I also use 2 crutches as then I am still half asleep. I’ll not take ANY chances.

So I can only suggest to go with how you feel, at your own pace. I do hope your pain eases soon :flwrysmile:

@KathyH Thank you! I think I'm going to go back to 2 crutches and mean off how you are. I hope you're recovery goes well!

@Lyndsie1996

The only "good" time to go off crutches/walking aid is when you feel like you're ready/have confidence to bear your weight properly, etc. Just because "the norm" is such and such, doesn't mean it'll necessarily apply to you.

Do you have any bruising on your front and back still? Just curious. Maybe it's painful because that aspect hasn't healed yet. Also, how much activity do you have on any given day? When you talk to your doctor about pain, don't let him brush you off. Say you don't feel like healing at all. Also, it might be wise to postpone your second surgery until your first leg is weight bearing, otherwise you're in for a lot of struggling.

Not trying to scare you. Yes, having pain still is normal, and everyone heals at different rates, but if pain is not managed with medication, you need to keep talking to your doctor.

The only thing I was frustrated with my arthroscopic OS about was he also suggested easy-peasy with surgery on a Tuesday back to work on Monday. Sure! More like 2 weeks after that deadline. Anyway, we’re all different no matter our age or what we have done. Take the time to recover the way your body is telling you to. You’re the one living in it, after all! I hope things begin to settle for you soon so you feel like you can finally start to relax. Keep us updated.

@Ava J No, I don't have bruising. I actually didn't bruise at all which is a first. It's still sore where my incisions are but I expect that. I have a bit going on day to day. Since the last two weeks, I've been trying to keep busy so I leave the house quite a bit. But if I stay home, I get really depressed. I took Oxycodone the first week and a half which included a refill. He said he doesn't typically do a refill so I don't want to ask for another one. I've tried taking Tylenol but it doesn't do anything. And I can't take NSAIDS.

@Ava J No, I don't have bruising. I actually didn't bruise at all which is a first. It's still sore where my incisions are but I expect that. I have a bit going on day to day. Since the last two weeks, I've been trying to keep busy so I leave the house quite a bit. But if I stay home, I get really depressed. I took Oxycodone the first week and a half which included a refill. He said he doesn't typically do a refill so I don't want to ask for another one. I've tried taking Tylenol but it doesn't do anything. And I can't take NSAIDS.
Sounds like you have some tough choices to make. I get the desire to go out and about for the sake of sanity, but moving so much early on may not be the best choice. Do you drive as well?
Try to find something you can do at home for a while where you can easily stop and rest. Don't push it.
Also, Oxy is not the only option. Just talk to them about other things that are available to you. Oxy is the bigger fish of painkillers. They have milder ones they might be willing to prescribe you.

I took Oxycodone the first week and a half which included a refill. He said he doesn't typically do a refill so I don't want to ask for another one. I've tried taking Tylenol but it doesn't do anything. And I can't take NSAIDS.

Please call the office of your surgeon and explain what you have above. They should have some other options to keep you relatively comfortable and mobile.
Good luck!

Hello @Lyndsie1996 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full dates of your knee and hip surgeries, what you had done, and which leg it was each time, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact dates give will give us a summary of your history, which will help us to advise you appropriately.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I hope your surgeon is helpful in sorting out your pain relief medications.

Hopefully you’ll get more responses from people that have had the same surgery as you.

I also had torn labrums (labra?) and FAI - at one point arthroscopic surgery repair was suggested for my right hip (the first side to suffer a labral tear) but later second and third opinions indicated I was not a suitable candidate for this procedure due to some hip dysplasia, abnormal cartilage, and existing arthritis - so I ended up having hip replacements.

FWIW the surgeon that recommended arthroscopic repair said I would be 6 weeks non-weight bearing on crutches, and that recovery and return to normal mobility and athletic activity would be 6 months to 1 year. My situation and surgeon were obviously quite different from yours, and major orthopedic surgery is not one of those one-size-fits-all deals. But I certainly did not get an “easy-peasy” kind of recovery prognosis.

Last edited:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing, Lyndsie? Hopefully things have improved over the past month and you’re enjoying progress. Please leave an update as time allows, we’d love to hear from you. Have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Lyndsie1996

@Layla Thanks! I'm doing alright! I have my good days and my bad days. Over did it yesterday so I'm paying for that today. But I'm excited to get back to normal activities as time goes on!

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lyndsie!
Hopefully all continues to go well for you. May it only get better and better.
Wishing you a lovely Autumn! :)
@Lyndsie1996

I don’t know if this helps now, as I see your original post was a month ago, but I had the EXACT same surgery as you. Badly torn left labrum and sharp hip joint shaved down. I’m also very flexible in my hips so I struggled a lot with the tightness I ended up with after my op.

Mine was 9th Jan this year, and I still have pain every now and again. I was told the average timeframe for recovery is 2 years. I was off my crutches after about 6 weeks but cut down to 1 for a bit before that. I struggled a lot with exercise and the only thing I could really do was walking slowly and carefully.
Just as I was getting better along came the pandemic and I ended up With such bad anxiety I couldn’t leave the house to go for my walks, so my hips got stiff again.

I’ve learnt the pain and discomfort will go up and down probably until I really strengthen the muscles around the hip more. Now our gyms are back open I’m hoping to get going again!
Hope your pain has improved and you’re feeling better.

HI @Lyndsie1996
Hope you are well!
I hope you won't mind my asking, but my daughter is like you - a young woman (21) who has recently undergone an arthroscopy on her right hip (and will need the left one done in due course).
The operation was two weeks ago (14th Oct 2020) and involved clearing up the torn cartilage and shaving the bone (in her case the head of the femur). I posted on this forum yesterday because she is extremely worried about the post-operative pain (I can't post a link as a newbie, but it was called Post Arthroscopy recovery timescales)
Now that the pain from the operation itself has eased, she has found that her hip hurts in the same way as before the operation, quite severe - as bad as it was on her worst days - and she is scared that this means the operation has been a failure.
I have had a really helpful response from Forum Admin Jaycey but I would appreciate any wise words from someone who has been through the whole thing a few months ahead of her! Many thanks

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom