Hip Pinning - still struggling a year later

Hello @SelfHelp, thanks for the information and the video. I didn't think of the fact that you could have a fall AFTER THR and break a bone around the hip replacement parts.

Being a horse rider, this gives me a whole new topic to be terrified of. :yikes: Haha....but, I really do want to learn all I can. So I'm thankful for people like you who have already done a lot of the research and are sharing it with me. It's better to be prepared than to have regrets later.

That's an interesting insight on Stanford that you have shared. Being (somewhat) close to Stanford, part of me thinks it would be a miss not to get an opinion there but part of me also thinks that THR are more or less routine procedures and that if I find a local OS who has lots of experience, has done many THR's with few complications, like you said, I'm just as well of.

I did check the links previously and my local OS has better ratings than all other local OS's for hip replacement. He's a guy in his 60s and also has both of his hips replaced (did it simultaneously). He said he was back at work in 2 weeks and back surfing in 4 months. Wow. Obviously, he didn't do his own THR's but at the very least, he knows the kinds of concerns that are going through patients' heads.

My only question with him is, is he going to use the most up to date information on what the best components are these days or is he going to use the type of components that have been around longer because that's what he is familiar with (even though those materials might not be as good).

I remember I asked what he was using but forgot the answer (I was too upset to retain much info). I do remember him saying he is using the anterior approach.

May I ask you, what kind of approach are you going to have and what kind of bearing surface? Ceramic on plastic or? Thanks for spending the time to respond to me. It's much appreciated.

Ceramic on plastic or?
The choice is either ceramic on ceramic (CoC), Metal on plastic or ceramic on plastic.
My only question with him is, is he going to use the most up to date information on what the best components are these days or is he going to use the type of components that have been around longer because that's what he is familiar with (even though those materials might not be as good).
Please don't worry about any of this. Hips are not like cars, that if you get an older model it might not function or last as well as a new model. In fact, the opposite is the case. There are hip devices that have been in use for 30 or more years and have stood the test of time. I know that Nick Skelton had such a hip and he had the very best hip surgeon in the UK. But she sticks with the tried and tested and has jolly good results with them. Remember, this is your surgeon's choice and what you are paying him the big bucks for!

Hi rhapsody, I believe it is more important to find the best doctor and hospital and then trust that those professionals do the right thing for you.
I find this video very informative:
You want to go with a surgeon that does 200 or more THR surgeries a year.

Hi @rhapsody Just as an aside, the gal that comes and feeds and mucks my horses when we are away, and who came on my Sept 14th surgery day and will come again for my Nov 8th date to do my horses has a lovely mare called Rhapsody, so I will never forget your name LOL!!:)

On to serious matters. My surgeon consulted with some other surgeons, who are riders, and talked to them at great length about riding, THR and dislocation etc. We discussed general fitness and cross training. He knows I have a serious amount of time, energy and money wrapped up in horses over the years and they are my life's passion. He doesn't want me doing high impact sports like running, high impact aerobics etc., as those things will prematurely wear down the prosthesis. I don't play tennis much so don't have to worry about that. I've heard from others that it is better to play doubles. He has told me I can ride, hike, cycle, walk the dogs for miles, paddle board, swim, do yoga (I'll be minding a few moves there), pilates etc. etc. He has basically said, "Get on with your life, once you have healed and returned to fitness". He told me that he had a patient who went to the same gym as him.. She was very fit. After she healed post op, she returned to the gym and slowly built herself back up. He said he watched her on the rowing machine, and she had her knees up by her ears but she didn't dislocate!

I ride really big warmbloods with a lot of get up and go in them. They also have huge strides and one has to be fit to ride them. I am an ex-eventer, so used to be a little crazy, galloped cross country over silly fences etc. in my twenties. I started cross training more in my 30's as I found it made me a better rider in many ways. My loose plan, once I've healed this time around, is to get back on the elliptical machine, and slowly but surely build myself up again, before I get back on. I am significantly older than you, so need to do that. I will also have to do some serious stretching once I've healed, as the OA has stopped me from opening my legs, thus the reason for feeling like I was a clothes peg when things got bad, and ultimately couldn't open my legs wide enough to get astride a horse at all. A lot of my riding muscles were SO tight prior to not being able to ride at all. I'd be doing elaborate stretches before getting on to ride....couldn't figure out what was happening! I am not thinking about getting on until next spring to be honest. I want to wait beyond six months, and have some decent weather as well. I have a really good physio and massage therapist (who is also a somatic yoga practitioner) who I'll be working with when the time is right. I want to be completely healed, and fit in every other way, before I get back on. That way if we have a few leaps and bucks I can take them in stride. Honestly, I work really hard at not falling off. I simply can't afford to anymore. I won't be riding anyone else's horses for starters. I intend to get right back to dressage and also want to do some working equitation with my horse, as it looks like fun. However, if it is a crazy windy day, and my horse is acting like a fruit loop, I'll turn him out instead of ride. I think we have to be smart about it. I didn't worry about these things so much in my thirties, except that I was a Mum, and whether good, bad or indifferent, the only Mum my kids had, so I started being more sensible then!!!

The point of getting our hips done is to get our lives back. Nick Skelton won gold at the London Olympics for England, he'd had THR the year before. There was a gal here where I am in western Canada, doing rider biomechanic clinic here the week before my surgery. She is also a martial artist. She is in her 70's, rides a couple of horses every day, and has had both her hips done. There are tons of people foxhunting (read The Chronicle of The Horse health forums for a boost!), reining, riding dressage and doing the hunters with new hips. We can do this, but we must be smart about it!

Keep in touch and I wish you the very best in all your planning. Find a surgeon who will support your interests! We've got this OK:yes!: .....and don't talk to negative people!
:flwrysmile:

Hi @Alitm,
Thanks for sharing a bit of your story and background. This has given me a lot of hope. Yes, we must be smart about riding after THR. But really, one should be smart riding at all times and with or without an artificial hip. So maybe having one is not such a bad thing as it will force me to make smarter decisions that can potentially save me from falling off and other (even more serious) injuries. I guess I'm just going to have to be more sensible. Never a bad thing. :fasthorse:
Going onto the elliptical is a good idea! I forgot about that thing. I found a woman here who has a gyrotonics studio and doing the exercises on her machines has helped me a lot in the past (even with my current bad hip I had a tremendous improvement both in pain relief and range of motion). So, I'm hoping to do that again after I'm fully healed.
That's crazy that you couldn't get your legs apart enough to get on the horse. I'm definitely headed that way, too, though. I sat on my horse this weekend and confirmed that I really can't ride with the condition my condition is in. :nah: Additional buttocks pain joined the familiar pain in the groin and thigh. So, even though I'm still super scared of the THR surgery, I do feel determined that I want to get it over with. It's a great goal to be able to ride again next summer. I ride mostly dressage, so that is already not too crazy and in my favor.
By the way, Rhapsody Bay is the horse that I fell off of. He happens to be my favorite, therefore, I used his name as my handle here. He's a sweet boy....just a bit too spirited at times. I'm blaming myself for "user error" for getting bucked off. :snork:
All the best....I plan to read lots of threads on the forum here and to update everyone as I progress.

Hi @rhapsody Lovely to hear about Rhapsody Bay! We'll have to exchange some back under saddle pictures once we get there :) .

I lost ROM before the real pain set it. I went to my GP when I was losing ROM, and I could touch my toes, raise my legs, but could hardly open my legs. It was kind of crazy! I could touch my toes up to the day of surgery, but not much else, and a ton of overall hip and back pain.

Glad you got on your horse this weekend as a reminder. I know some riders ride in extreme pain, on drugs, right up to surgery. To me that seems insane, but if it is one's lively hood.....

We all go through the "user error" thing. Don't beat yourself up over it! It just makes us work on ourselves as riders and trainers even more. Lucky you are in California, so not too much winter weather to deal with. I'm north on Vancouver Island. We ride outside in our area all year round. I would LOVE to have a covered arena, but that isn't in the cards. It is only three months out of the year that can be tricky. It depends on the El Nino El Nina situation!

The cross training really helps with being able to handle the "unexpected" with our horses.

Do you follow Joseph Newcomb at all? I saw him ride at a Carl Hester clinic in San Diego year before last. I like how he incorporates ground work into his training. I think it really helps the horse's mind... You could really see how calm it made his horse.

Look forward to your updates......

:)

Hi @Alitm, I just wanted to wish you all the best for your surgery and a very speedy recovery. I'm getting my thr tomorrow and I saw in your signature you're getting yours on Friday. Maybe we can be battle buddies through this.
In any case, I'm thinking about you and hope we can both be back in the saddle soon. Figuratively and literally. :snork::loveshwr:

Sending you healing prayers for your surgery tomorrow. I, too,have my hip pinned and am in a bit of pain. Saw my OS last week, did xray, and he said he couldn't see anything but that I could have AVN. I see him again in 5 weeks and he will reassess.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'll thinking about you.

@rhapsody Wishing you the very best tomorrow and I'll be looking for you on the healing side! Think about all that riding we'll be doing in 2019! Definitely healing buddies for sure!
:roseshwr:

Rhapsody.. just wanted to help add some hope for riding again after hip surgery. i can vouch that it’s very possible well within certain limits. Know your limitations ....As long as your horses are well trained in a encloursure it’s safe to begin traning both the horse and retraining your brain to feel the difference in the hip and leg ques. I stopped riding my arabs with a bouncy gate And switched to my tenn walker... they have a wonderful easy side to side gate. No bone bouncing jaw popping gate. A lot easier on the new hip. Once in that walikg or running gate the rest is a piece of cake. Be sure you build up leg, hip and core strength first. My doc knew I was a horse lover and rider as he was too. He added a good ‘stable’ implant...pardon the pun...with added screws and bone graft, also extra PT and lots of muscle and strengthening exercises. Start out slow and work your way up. Took me 8 months to a year. I walked the horses around getting back in shape helped keep them in shape too. Lots of ground training before riding. Safer to ride while posting is gentler on hips.
Be sure the implant is fully secured to the bone and dr has released you for training. Be safe and listen to your body, stay healthy and strong you can do it, and never take any chances until you and your horse are trained and ready! Always be with someone. Horses are sometimes a little spooky keep them well trained and well deciplined even then there can be a certain amount of risk. I certainly would not be jumping any horse ever or eventing, I was a competition endurance trail rider but now I am thankful to be a pleasure rider around the freedom horses offer in life. It’s where your legs meet the horse for communicating control confidence and strength while soft hands gently touch the reign. Be safe and stay strong.
Like Alitm said we have to be smart. And I would like to add we need to know our new limitations. I quit riding my arabs never did endurance racing again. I only rode my gentle tenn walker on easy safe trails no more mtn climbing. I was as happy just to ride safely again. Happy trails !

Hi everyone, just wanted to check in and let you know I'm doing well. I'm 4 weeks past surgery now and walking without crutches, feeding my horses and dogs on my own, driving, running errands... Totally off pain meds.
Last week, I had my post-op with my OS and he was very happy with my progress.
I go to the gym every day and ride the stationary bike for 20 min and do some light exercises (leg raises) and light stretches. All in all it's going really well.
All that said, I still have very limited range of motion in my operated hip, specifically external rotation. This is the third surgery on this leg after my fall from my horse and each time, external rotation was worse. I'm concerned because external rotation is important for horse riding and eventually I'd like to be back in the saddle. I previously couldn't rotate my leg externally because of pain from AVN. That's resolved now since I got a whole new hip. But still no improvement in ROM. To give you an idea, if I sit on the floor cross-legged, soles of feet touching, my left (non-operated) leg will touch the floor with the knee. My THR leg will stick up in the air with the knee pointing straight up at the ceiling.
My question is, is this going to resolve? Should I be doing something about this in terms of exercising or/and stretching? Do other people have such vast difference between their legs, too? I used to be a dancer and I'm a horseback rider, so I'm naturally quite flexible.
Would love to get some input. Maybe even from my horse riding friends on here @Alitm and @Hippielife .
Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the holiday season.

@rhapsody

I go see the OS on Tuesday. He's already brought up AVN and hip replacement to fix it. We'll see what he says then. Me, personally, think I'll be getting one. Pain level is a constant 6-7 right now.

Glad to hear you're doing so well!!! Gives me hope!! Keep us posted on your progress please.

Caryl/Chiquita

@chiquita Aww, I'm sorry to hear you might be needing another surgery. The good news is that recovery from thr is much easier than from hip pinning. Keep us posted and good luck.

Hi @rhapsody! Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner.. Sounds like you are dong really well! With my left hip, the surgery was different in that I had more swelling, so I couldn't see what the ROM was. The swelling has really gone down, but I still have a bit of residual. Even once the ROM started to come back, it wasn't as good as the right hip surgery post op ROM was. However, in the last few days it has improved. I'm wondering as riders if our ROM comes faster on the right side, as that is the leg we have been swinging over horses' backs for years. The left hip function is different in terms of when we get on.

Are you seeing a physio at all? They may be able to help you with the ROM. It isn't something you can force either, it just has to come along. The physio may be able to assess what is going on with your ROM and why it isn't as much as the right side. When I was still training and competing my 17.2 hh horse, I couldn't sit cross legged on the floor without two yoga blocks under me. Don't worry too much. Let us know what the physio has to say. My OS wont let me think about getting on until three months post op. You have time to get the ROM back to what you need to ride comfortably.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom