Hip pain sitting

Bob_notts

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi folks, I could do with some advice please, in my case it is quite specific but it probably compares to other peoples sitting problems too.
i am a lower left leg amputee and TKR in right leg and because of my long term mobility problems I now have arthritis in both hips. My favourite pastime is kayaking and canoeing and when seated in my kayak, my legs are stretched out in front of me and I am pain free in my legs. But when seated in my canoe, my seat is about 10 inches above the canoe base and my legs are bent at an angle in front of me with just my bum on the seat. In this position I am in agony with my hips and in pain for days afterwards and the paddling community offers little help apart from telling me to experiment with the seat angle.
Has anyone else had hip pain from a seating issue and found a solution that maybe I can transfer across to my hobby. I am a retired engineer and I am capable of making and adapting things so any help with similar seating issues would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

You can try adjusting seat height and such but it didn't do much for me. I had reached the point with my hips where driving my pickup truck was painful and I'd have to get out and walk around t a little to be able to finish my drive home. I drove tractor trailer I would constantly be raising and lowering the air ride seat because of the hip pain. I reached a point where my hips would physically lock so that when I went to stand there was a loud pop. Sorry to tell you that the only fix is replacements.

@Bob_notts Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome: Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon ( or even your regular medical provider) yet and had xrays taken of the hips? If not I would urge you to get that done to see exactly what you are dealing with. I agree with Eman85 it sure does sound like the hips are bad enough to need replacing.

Before I had my hips replaced I experienced one hip (right) as more painful that the other one and found it did not move well at all. When xrays were taken they showed both hips were bad but the right was the worst as it had fused to the pelvis ... and :groan: did not like moving at all!

I wish you all the best! Let us know how you are doing - we do like to help!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom