Hip pain prevents walking. Avn or bursitis?

CoastalGirl

Country
United States United States
For many years I’ve had a lot of hip pain but now it’s preventing me from walking any distance. I’ve had therapy, injections and no relief. A recent MRI and X-rays show level 2 AVN but my ball and socket are in good shape. My pain comes from the bursea area. Very painful even to a light touch, laying on my side, etc.

Has anyone had their bursea removed? If so, was it do arthroscopic you? I’m desperately seeking a solution.

@CoastalGirl .... I posted some information for you in your other pre-op thread.

I strongly suggest you register for this year's BoneSmart Joint Replacement Awareness Day (JRAD) conference on Saturday, May 9th. You can get information on the conference by clicking on the rotating banner at the top of the page. Here is a link to register:

One of our participating doctors, Dr. Chris Rogers, is an expert in the field of PRP treatments. You'll be able to hear his updates on what's new in the field of regenerative treatments and you can even type in questions live for him or other surgeons who participate in the conference.

Last edited:
Hi @VSlowLife ! It sounds like you are doing really well. I know it's still early days for you, but it seems like good progress.
I suffered from trochanteric bursitis in my right hip for almost 2 years in total. Not that it was diagnosed straight away - I was passed from one physio to another and each had a different opinion on what my problem was. Each was sure they could cure it! Eventually I was referred to the hospital and the consultant first of all gave me a steroid injection (guided by x-ray), which was very effective but only lasted 2 months. He then said that the only other treatment available was the prp injection. He said lots of positive things about it, but that really it was either this or just put up with it! Anyway I went ahead - again the injection was done under x-ray and I went home a couple of hours later. The only disadvantage was that I had to be non weight-bearing for 6 weeks in order that it was as effective as possible, so I was on crutches for 6 weeks. But it has been 100% effective! 2 years ago now!
Has yours come on since your op or did you already have it? Mine was prior to the THR and unconnected, but it didn't reappear afterwards. It is apparently very common post THR and others I met when having the injection had previously had a replacement.
I seem to have written an essay here, but I hope it has been useful.
Please ask if there is anything else you want to know!

Yes!
It sounds like you are doing really well. I know it's still early days for you, but it seems like good progress.
Thank you for responding. I have had it before surgery. It has shown up in my imagining. If I still have it, once I am in better shape, I will look into that as a treatment rather than a steroid shot.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks