TKR Hip pain - caused by back or therapy?

Dharlee

Country
United States United States
My TKR was April 20th.

Before my knee replacement, I thought perhaps I might also need a hip replaced as well. My biggest pain seemed to be coming from my hip. My surgeon told me that while I had significant arthritis in the hip, the area and type of pain was not indicative of needing the hip replaced nor did the x-rays show that I needed it. He believed my hip pain was because my knee was so far out of alignment. (Should be 12, it was 24.) Sure enough after surgery the hip pain was nearly completely relieved. Until therapy.

About the second week into therapy, naturally my exercises became more aggressive and that's when my hip pain started back with a vengeance. My MD thinks that it's bursitis, however I'm not sure if this might actually be coming from my back. My back is apparently fusing and I can only stand about 3 to 4 minutes until I absolutely have GOT to sit down. The minute I sit down, I stop hurting. I am seeing a pain Dr for this and he wants to try something called ablation but I have to wait until 12 weeks have passed from my surgery.

My problem is, these PT exercises are causing me tremendous pain in my hip, not the knee. My thinking is this: can do all the basics fine and I have full range of motion now with my knee. I know exercises are not over but I am wondering about not going to the out patient PT and doing all the next level ones if that will cause more hip problems. Sorry about the round-about way of getting to the point, but I didn't know how else to explain my crazy situation.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Please let us know which knee was replaced so we can add the information to your signature. Thank you in advance.

I’d suggest you stop the PT exercises if they’re causing pain. Also, forgo the out patient PT. It seems you’re active enough, with full range of motion, so the activities of daily living with some walking for exercise should suffice.

I’ll leave the BoneSmart Recovery Guidelines with best wishes for your healing journey. Good luck with the pain management doctor. I hope he’s able to help you obtain relief soon.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I agree, there is no need to do any exercise that causes pain. I have low back issues, and I refused to do any that made my back any worse (like straight leg raises) My PT’s response was, “Well, we won’t rob Peter to pay Paul.”

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Thank you guys so much for this. I've found so much here and this was that little bit of confirmation I needed! I'm grateful!

Not sure how to add it toy signature, but it was might right knee. Left coming the end of the year.

I added right to your signature. Thanks!

Thank you! I feel so dumb lol

Not dumb at all, we staff are used to doing the signatures for members. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom