THR Hip pain 10 months pst LHR

Layla thank you for checking in❣️ I am doing well but the knee is still stiff at times!
Otherwise all is well Looking forward to the Spring and no snow so I can finally get out and try walking for exercise.

:hi: Thanks for updating. It’s nice to hear from you. Hopefully with each passing month the knee stiffness you’re experiencing eases. I’m looking forward to Spring also. I think so many of us feel trapped due to the pandemic, then add cold, ice, snow and the risk of slipping to the mix and it makes you think twice about going out. At least I’m feeling that way.
Stay safe, well, warm and in touch! :SUNsmile:
@Mimicking

Hello... quick question, I am not sure if I am being overly cautious but at 5 months post op. Can I now shave my legs safely? Lol!,,

I can't see why not (someone else chime in if I'm wrong). Just be careful in the tub!

Mimicking I shaved my legs at 2 months but never went passed my knee or near the surgical site till 4 months just to be safe, also had to adapt my razor on a long pole so I could reach the ankle on my surgical leg !

Hi was wondering how long it takes for the puffiness on the hip to go or will it be like that forever.
Also still get stiff and achy and still have a slight wobble. Is this ok or should I worry?

This recovery can take up to one year or longer. Swelling, stiffness and a slight limp are all part of the process. Ice to get rid of the swelling and stiffness.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Hi... I am almost 8 months post LHR and I am not doing great!! I am not progressing and feel defeated. I started walking on a regular basis a few weeks ago and find that I still cannot go too far, both my feet and ankles hurt as well as my mid thigh. Walking stairs is a challenge and still can’t bear weight on my operated leg. I did not do much physio and now I think that was my downfall, I can barely tie my shoes and the frustration is getting me down.Worried I will never be strong and flexible again!,,
Was hoping for some insight from other forum members, thank you

I’m sorry you’re feeling defeated. Wondering if you’re overdoing the walking if you only started a few weeks ago? Like walking too far and not allowing yourself time to recover if you’re suffering any discomfort afterward.

Is the foot and ankle pain something new, since surgery? I’m also wondering if you’re using an assistive device due to the inability to bear weight? Since you’re worried and feeling down, please consider touching base with your surgeon or a member of his team. They may recommend you try some Physio and you may find it beneficial. That would be my best advice and next steps. Let’s see what others have to offer.
Chin up and best wishes for brighter days! :SUNsmile: :console2:
@Mimicking

Hello :) Happy Saturday!
The other issue that has happened in the last 3 days!,, Knee pain on the operated hip side . Never had knee issues before.... what would cause that

They maneuver your knee knee rather aggressively during the dislocation process. A sore knee is a very common complaint. I dealt with the same. I even had some yellowish / greenish bruising show up like two and a half weeks post op. Freaked me out and had me on the phone to my OS’s office only to be reassured it was part of the process. So IF some bruising shows up, don’t worry yourself.
Congrats on seven years cancer free! So very awesome!

I had the knee thing too. It settled down and cleared after a few weeks.

I think the knee pain we get is associated with being realigned and your body shape changes after surgery. Putting more pressure on 1 or both knees until it all settles down and the body accepts the new corrected normal shape, ie non leaning or lurching too 1 side and being more upright.

I think the knee pain we get is associated with being realigned and your body shape changes after surgery.
It‘s most often from the way the knee is manipulated during surgery in an effort to dislocate the hip.
your body shape changes after surgery.
Your gait changes as your body adjusts.

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had Trochantic Bursitis in the hip ? I just got a cortisone shot for it after 10 months of pain!! Does it help and for how long ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife got a shot and it helped knock it out. She takes Aleve occasionally if she feels it flares up. Have you tried some physical therapy too? That helped my wife.

@Mimicking hello! I just browsed through your recovery thread and first want to say that I am sorry that you are still having aches and pains at almost a year post op.

I had ankle and foot pain for well over a year after my most recent THR. In face my achilles tendon is still very tight and takes a while each morning to warm up a bit.
I saw the most improvement around the 18 month period of healing.

I also noticed that you said your surgeon commented on your slight curve in your spine. Would you consider doing some PT to help strengthen and possibly help support your spine?
Those two things are working hard to adjust to one another (new hip and tired spine.)
Frequently spine issues can affect our gait patterns and from what I was taught, uneven gait patterns can cause or inflame the hip area and yes, the bursa.

The shot hopefully will help ease the discomfort but long term, I am guessing some PT might help keep the discomfort from returning.

Thank you so much! I am going to start PT… soon ..I am hoping this is the answer . I am seeing a chiropractor now which helps my lower back. She uses acupuncture and she just said I have a condition called Lumbar Stenosis!!! Oh my what next.???

Well, phooey on that diagnosis, but not all stenosis is on the horrible side, maybe it's just beginning and some good PT for your back will help you regain your footing.
For what it's worth, I have stenosis in my cervical and lumbar spine and continue to work in a physical job. I have flare ups but can overcome it for the most part.

Hugs and I hope this is the case for you.

@Mimicking I am sorry you are having so many ongoing problems. My PT says that everything is connected so just a couple problems can result in pain in a lot of spots.

And on that note, I do want to put in a plug for physical therapy--assuming you get the right PT (as in don't hesitate to switch if one isn't helping or puts you on an exercise bike). I had actually started getting worse around month 3 with pain places that didn't hurt before the hip replacement and just as bad a limp. But now (month 5) I'm doing a lot better. My physical therapist is doing dry needling & massage to release trigger points and has given me stretching and strengthening exercises.

Finally, on one of your other questions, I am shaving my legs carefully. That is I don't turn the leg inward at all but just do the outside by feel. Still it's kind of exciting--how funny is that! Good luck going forward. I do think this is oversold as a miracle cure.

@Mimicking did the cortisone shot work for the bursitis? My OS suggested that as well.

@DancerHips can you tell me about the dry needling? My PT wants to try that for my IT band / bursitis but I’m not sure about it. Sounds kind of like acupuncture, which I’ve also got no experience with.

Your experiences are helpful to me.

Dry needling fires the muscle into a spasm. When the needles are taken out, the muscle relaxes. Seems to quiet tight muscles down. Doesn't hurt.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom