BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Hip Operation Booked - weight loss question

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by burtival, Sep 13, 2017.

1. burtival

burtival

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum - feeling scared and excited in equal measure for my THR end of November.

I'm 38, was very active until (albeit in pain), until I gave birth 2 and a bit years ago. Since then the pain has become unbearable. It has put a certain strain on my relationship too as we're a very active family. I think the word 'excuse' was used before I had MRI and xrays and saw the extent of the dysplasia, labral tear and arthritis.

I'm definitely in the 'buxom' camp and should lose weight. So question is: How important is it to try and get in good shape before the operation, and how on earth can you lose weight with such limited mobility?

My job requires an awful lot of entertaining and making the right choices when I'm out is not something I'm particularly good at!
    Thanks

Tags:
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@burtival Welcome to BoneSmart!
    It's not at all essential. A bit of upper body strength does come in handy just post op when you are not moving around as fast as you would like. But please don't worry about this. Many of us were just hurting too much to do anything pre-op.
    You don't - it is impossible to lose weight when you have mobility issues - unless you starve yourself! And frankly you need to eat right to maintain your energy levels. Pain zaps your energy.

You will get back to all the activities you and your family enjoy. This surgery is life changing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. burtival

burtival

Thanks so much - this is reassuring. One Prof I saw suggested my first course of action was to get down to 10stone. I have NEVER been 10 stone. I ran a marathon when I was in my early 20s and I was 11.3, so to get down to 10stone when I have mobility issues is frankly absurd - and the upshot would be about another year out of my hip. Hardly worth the bother. I'm so looking forward to being active again once I've recovered.

4. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Did they say this was a requirement before they would perform surgery? Just curious as we are seeing a lot of this in the UK. Areas are setting restrictions on joint replacement like weight loss or quitting smoking. I have even heard from several patients that their surgeon wants them to have bariatric surgery before they will consider THR or TKR. Crazy!

5. burtival

burtival

Not a requirement, a 'suggestion' that I should look to be on the cusp of underweight and normal. The surgeon I've chosen wasn't fussed about this at all and seemed a bit shocked as I don't look huge. My BMI puts me as overweight but not obese. All this is down the private route, I'm not sure if the NHS have different guidelines.

6. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Yes, the NHS has different guidelines and unfortunately it's a bit of a postcode lottery. Sure, we would all like to be at ideal weight for surgery. But the reality is if you can't move you gain weight.

The good news is you will probably lose weight without even trying post op. I lost 2 stone post LTHR just because I could move again!

7. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

So if this wasn't your surgeon that suggested it, who was it? One of the nurses in the pre-op clinic? I also think that's just laughable! What ever does 'the cusp of underweight' mean? I did Occupational Health for many years and never saw more than half a dozen people that would fit in the description!

Do you know what your BMI is? If not, would you give me your weight and height so I can calculate it?