Lounge Doctor

THR Hip Op Thurs 5th August in Worcester UK

Eddzuno70

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All
Have joined bonesmart to have a chat with others about hip surgery - mine is tomorrow so no time like the present !!! Looking for any tips and advice pre-op and post op that would be helpful to get me moving !! Ed

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi @Eddzuno70 :wave:
Welcome to the forum.

Which hip is getting "cured" tomorrow?

I'm certain you are a bit nervous and don't know what led up to your THR, but mine was due to end-stage osteoarthritis, and I am so glad to get rid of that ever-worsening pain, decrease of mobility, and lack of sleep due to discomfort.

A bit late for alot of pre-op instructions :heehee: and they will take care of you at the hospital, but here are a few thoughts for when you get home
  • Tape down rug corners and electrical cords and make sure walkways are clear.
  • Place regularly used items at arm-level.
  • Pre-fill any prescriptions you may need after surgery. Might want to include stool softeners
  • Get some grabbers for retrieving dropped items
  • Prepare to use plenty of ice at home
  • Follow your pre-operative instructions

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You can even begin a recovery thread if you would like, and we can give you some postop advice to peruse. If you let me know which hip, we can get your signature fixed up and add you to our August Hip Surgery Group.:ok:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'm assuming your hip surgery is a replacement, please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Eddzuno70

Eddzuno70

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies - It’s my left hip that’s being replaced @Mojo333 - sounds pretty similar to yours !!

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for the info @Eddzuno70
Yes, Mine were both pretty Done.
This surgery is the beginning of getting back to your life.
You're gonna do great!

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I'm going to leave you the post-op guidelines....we can re-post on your recovery thread.
Lots of short, helpful articles when you click on the links!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and welcome to the forum! I just wanted to stop by to say hello and good luck tomorrow. You will do just fine. Hopefully you will have the experience that many of us have had and as soon as you arrive at the hospital or surgery center, they take over and give you such wonderful care. It helped my pre surgery jitters immensely.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello @Eddzuno70
Best wishes for tomorrow. Will look forward to following your healing journey on the recovery side. See you there soon! :wave:

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Boy grandma
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom