Hip Infection Hip nightmare

Rick70

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, my name is Rick and I am from the UK. I am 48 yr old and had a hip replacement Nov 22nd 2018. It never really improved after week 2 where I noticed swelling under the scar, hot and red. My consultant kept saying it was just swelling from the op. Dec 28th the hospital was closed for xmas so I went to my drs as I could hardly walk. She gave me some fluoxicillin. These did nothing. After xmas I managed to see my consultant and he took blood tests. He eventually called me in to say I had an infection.

I was gutted to say the least. I had just had 8 weeks off work. Gone back for 2 weeks and he was taking me into hospital to do an aspiration and debridement. 10 weeks post op I went into hospital where he open me back up and did a wash out. Put me on IV antibiotics for 10 days then sent me home on oral antibiotics for another 6 weeks.

I am off antibiotics now and have been back to see him as I am getting slight pain in my groin and front upper thigh. He took bloods. I rang up 2 days ago and he said 1 of my blood tests are slightly high. So he has brought my appointment forward to see him in 2 weeks rather than 6 weeks.

I am worried sick. I can't afford to have time off work. I'm worried about my health. My anxiety is through the roof. I woke up this morning and it feels like I have a slight swelling near the side of my hip. It feels a bit bruised. I have been sleeping in a different bed and the mattress is hard. I am hoping it's that.

I feel like my life is on hold. When I first weight bear I have a limp. As I get going I am ok. I really don't know how this is going to end up but I just hope it's not the infection rearing up again.

Thanks

@Rick70 I am very sorry you are going through this worrying time. There are a few of us going through the same and I am sure we will all give you help and support Bonesmart is a truly special group. I think if I were to advise you one thing it is to research and understand exactly what is and has gone on with your body.

Ask questions of your consultant and make sure you understand them, if not ask. Bone infections after hip replacements are every surgeons worry and we and they continually worry about these blood markers. Worrying about our health whilst we have bone infection is entirely normal but it does stress your body so try and take some time out and give yourself a break.

I am without a hip after bone infection. I have a spacer in situ whilst I wait out to make sure the infection has gone. I have had my spacer in for 9 months and been off antibiotics for 4 months so keeping all crossed but much time to go before risking another hip.

I do wish you well and hope that this groin and thigh pain is due to the bed, we are all here for you xx

I can't afford to have time off work. I feel like my life is on hold.
Of course you feel like this. It's perfectly natural but if push comes to shove, you have no choice but to take time off work. But maybe it won't come to that. Try to think positively.

I don't know how to tag you in this. However thanks for the reply.

Hi Rick,
I'm so very sorry for your struggles and pain. Your anxiety is understandable. Hopefully the infection hasn't returned but if it has, you will deal with it because, sadly, you'll have no other choice. There are many stories here of those who've dealt with infection and triumphed. If interested in reading, following is a link - https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/hip-replacement-recovery-area.5/?prefix_id=32

Please update us after your appt in two weeks. We'll be here to offer support and encouragement as you move forward. Stop by anytime.
Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind and healing.
@Rick70

Rick---I imagine you feel totally overwhelmed, wondering when you are going to catch a break, and be able to resume your regular life and routines. I know I would be.

There is so much variation in recoveries from a replacement or other related surgeries, and none of us know if we are going to be one of the "lucky ones", or if we will have some curve balls thrown in. It sounds like you have done everything you could, and that your journey has been one of the really challenging ones.

It really is hard to be told you can't work, and to intellectually know you need to take the time to recover, and yet to need the job/money and taking more time off will create additional problems/issues. I feel for you. I hope you get some answers soon.

:wave:@Rick70 and welcome. Like @clodaghcov I too have been down this very rocky road and I wouldn't wish it on my enemies ... should I have any!

The important thing is to be positive which can be difficult, but this is what will get you through this, believe me. I just had my Revision Stage 2 last month and am crossing everything I can that I say infection free.

I will keep checking in on you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We are here to support you through this difficult journey.

Sending you best wishes.

@Rick70 Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you are going through this. As Josephine says - try and stay positive. Don't assume the worst. Please do keep us updated.

Rick, I am so sorry you have all these worries on top of a THR recovery. I can certainly understand you feeling overwhelmed to put it mildly. I agree, try your best to stay positive. Our state of mind can affect our health. If you feel down, please do pop in here for some support. I am not sure how things work in the UK, but if possible look into any insurance you might have on your mortgage to reduce payments and credit cards sometimes have that too. Best to be proactive with things like that as it can get away on you. I do wish you the best of luck with your latest blood work.
:flwrysmile:

I see my consultant next Friday. I am still in pain when weight bearing. I have no swelling, I feel fine in myself it is just the pain i get that is worrying me. Do some people get pain for a long time after a THR, also can there be infection without any other signs other than pain.

@Rick70 I am so pleased to hear you have an appointment nexxt week, its really good that you feel well, hopefully it is all settling. Everybody is so different with pain, and i do think when you are worried and stressed everything feels and seems worse as we tighten all our muscles. Lets keep all crossed that this is going the right way and your worries can be eleved, keep in touch, we are all for you.

Do some people get pain for a long time after a THR
Yes, especially if you had a previous infection. Does icing and elevation ease this?
can there be infection without any other signs other than pain
There can be a variety of symptoms. Best to discuss with your surgeon next week.

I have had my bloods done 3 times since my debridement and I am clear of infection. This was such a relief. However I still have pain in the front of the hip, it feels like my tendon. I also get pain in my groin. I got the pain down to where I could walk without pain. A week later I pushed my luck and the pain come back twice as much. My first operation was in November 2018, my debridement was Jan 2019, it's now Sept 2019 and I'm still in pain and walking with a bad limp. I spoke to my consultant and he said the pain may never fully go.

Sounds like a good news (infection gone), possibly bad news (pain may never fully leave) situation. I am curious how long you have been free from infection? Perhaps rather than think back to when you had your most recent surgery, it might be good to start your timetable from when you were pronounced clear of infection.

I am not a doctor, but it would seem that until the infection was gone you probably weren't able to truly start the full recovery process. I also wonder if getting a second opinion might be helpful/wise? I always get that feeling when someone is told they may have lifelong pain. While it may be true, there might also be other options the first doctor hasn't considered. Getting a "sentence" of knowing you might be stuck with the pain forever, based on one opinion, seems like it could be really depressing, and might cause one to give up. I know the system is a lot different in the UK so perhaps it isn't possible. I hope things start looking up for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom