BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Hip...Knee...Back???

Discussion in 'Other joint replacements discussion forum' started by annie1234, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had 3 spinal epidurals. The first one worked great and I had several months of reduced pain. Second and third did nothing but much of my pain at the time was a bad hip.

I would get those back issues sorted before doing anything about your hip. You are right - back pain can cause you to walk all wrong.

Please let us know how your injection goes.

• Like Like x 2
  2. susanne

susanne post-grad

United States United States
    Because every other part of me was a mess my back worsened
    Since my last epidural thankfully all is well. No more hip or knee pain. I'm sure I was over compensating one part of body for the other
    It's such a weird feeling to be able to bend and get up again without the groaning sound effects
    Just to throw this in for good measure. My bf tripped over rug that was rolled up and broke BOTH his ankles. Guess its my turn to be the nurturing nurse!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
  3. annie1234

annie1234 member

Hi! Another med I'm seeing used a lot where I work (for restless leg) is Requip or ropinirole. It seems to be helpful. Ask your doc about it too.

4. susanne

susanne post-grad

Hi. I have terrible leg cramps. Dr said take magnesium and potassium vitamins. I'm also taking gabapentin 600 mg which help
    Also I sleep with toe splints bought I amazon that helps the most. Keeps toe down. Also drink lots of water. I'll send picture of the toe splints
    Susanne

upload_2017-9-28_14-37-45.png

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2017
  5. annie1234

annie1234 member

@susanne Wow! Those toe splints are something! I doubt I'd ever be able to sleep with them on--don't even like to sleep in sox in cold weather :what: But, if they help, they are great.

I had my epidural. Initial BP 190/110. Doc asked if I was nervous...um, yes? After talking and explaining everything, my BP was back down to normal and we did it! So far, I'm having very good relief...only a little pain twinge now and again. Hope it lasts.

My PT for my shoulder is going really well too. The therapist says she sees good progress and strengthening. But she can find a knotted muscle in my shoulder after the exercises. She does a great massage then puts me on a super TENS-like thing with a big warm pack. They feel great!

I'm thinking about trying to find a new job. Where I am is just grinding me down and it isn't going to get better. Don't know what I can find relatively near to where I live. Wish me luck!

6. susanne

susanne post-grad

Annie1234. I too can't sleep In socks or pj bottoms. Just a long tee shirt. I know they look kind of klunky and uncomfortable but to be honest they are cushioned inside and i don't even feel then on
    There are different kinds that are not as bulky as theses but since wearing them my leg cramps have subsided a lot If you're going to try check Amazon buy make sure package of 2 I made this mistake and when they arrived only 1 :(

Susanne

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
  7. annie1234

annie1234 member

So after the 2 lumbar epidural injections, the shoulder PT and being put on lasix for the edema (still don't know the cause)...I've been doing remarkable well. Then when I got out of bed to get ready for work on Monday, I took a step and my right leg buckled and immediate awful back pain radiating into my leg. I tried to hobble about a bit thinking maybe I had slept wrong on it. But the pain just got worse. I ended up going to the ER where they did X-rays of my hip (replacement side) and said the replacement was ok. Gave me a dose of SoluMedrol, toredol and flexeril and to see the pain clinic the next day. The pain clinic brought me right in for a lumbar epidural the next day but it didn't help a bit and I was sure the "caine" part of the epidural would help. So back to them today and have a MRI ordered for tomorrow. Both PA and MD are concerned that the bulging disc is acting up since I'm having such leg pain too (only back pain in previous episode). I'm using my walker as it isn't safe for me to try and hobble without support. What next???

8. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So sorry to read this @annie1234 ! As a person who suffers chronic back pain you have my sympathies! Sounds like I felt when I had bad sciatic pain. Please let us know how your MRI goes - not exactly fun when you have back pain.

9. annie1234

annie1234 member

I've had a week of rest...using walker to get around until yesterday. The pain has subsided tremendously and I'm going back to work tomorrow. The pain clinic wants to do a radio frequency ablation of 2 lumber nerves/facets (?) and perhaps set me up for a minimally invasive procedure to remove some of the bulging disc. This is all "Greek" to me as I frantically look up all the information I find. If anyone has any suggestions or explanations, I'd loved to get all the information I can. Right now, I don't even know what questions to ask! It seems like there should be some PT involved ....or maybe that comes later?