THR Hip gone wrong

Tempest

Country
United States United States
Hi all. I am new here. I had a THA on11/23/2021 in NYC (Langone) and it went terribly wrong. I woke up after surgery and could not feel my foot or lower leg. 2 1/2 years later I still have no feeling. Found out that I have severe siatic nerve damage from surgery. They surgeon went from a size 4 hip replacement (not stable enough) to a size 10 hip!!!!! No answers as to why such a big jump. Anywho, I had a nerve block done that lasted only 4 days, ugh. I have severe pain in my thigh as well. It feels as if my femur is shattering the pain is that bad. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this after a full replacement??? I'm trying to find ways to make the pain go away. Please help with any advise.

• Wow
Reactions: Law
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart.
I am sorry you're struggling with nerve damage and severe pain. Your situation has to be difficult, but you really need to be advised by a medical professional.

Please identify your procedures by name, date, and affected limb, right or left, so we're able to create a signature for you.
I suggest you seek a second opinion from a surgeon unrelated to your current OS's practice.

A consideration may be an online consultation with HSS, Hospital for Special Surgery, which is the top rated orthopedic hospital in the country. They are located in NYC, with other east coast locations, but will review cases remotely. I will include the link. HERE

I wish you comfort and hope you're able to get a fresh set of eyes on your case soon. Please keep us posted and know that we're here for support. I will leave a link to our Library if you'd like to check it to see if you feel any articles pertain to the symptoms you're dealing with. Best wishes! Library Index
@Tempest

So sorry to hear about your lengthy struggle following your hip replacement. I hope a new physician looking at your case with fresh eyes will help you find some options for relief. While most folks have favorable outcomes with the hip replacement surgery, it has to be so discouraging to be one of the rare ones who don't. Try to keep up your spirits and check in with the incredibly supportive people on this forum for encouragement when you need it!

Hi Tempest so to hear you are still having problems. I know how you feel, I have nerve damage also pain in thigh muscle after having a dynamic hip screw repair for fermol neck fracture following a nasty fall in 2020. Had physio which has not helped and basically it is a case of nothing we can do just get on with it.

Do you know if HSS has any connection with Langone in NYC?? The doctor at Langone is the one that put me in this position. I have been to Phsyiatry and had the injection that only worked for 4 days total. I go back today to discuss other options is there are any. I was told about an ablasion so I will be asking about info on this today. Thank you for the info and assistance. I'm happy to have found a group that understands what it's like.

Hospital for Special Surgery is its own entity and it is the world leader in orthopedics. I would encourage you to get a second opinion from someone at HSS before you have any further procedures.

Not sure where you are located, but HSS has hospitals in New Jersey, Connecticut and Florida as well as New York if one of those is more convenient for you. You can also arrange for a remote telemedicine consult. Here's a link to that service:

2 1/2 years, what has been done and who have you consulted with?

I’m not sure if I’m permitted to recommend specific HSS surgeons but I do have some suggestions. If that’s permitted I’ll be happy to post.

Please get more opinions & direction before proceeding with any other surgery.
You should not have to go through this for this length of time.
Keep us updated please.

Jose Rodriguez is one. My surgeon is Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle and although I unfortunately needed a revision, I’d recommend him as well. My sister just had her THR done by Laura Gausden in January and has resumed full activities, very happy with outcome. Dr Carli and Dr Westrich and Dr Jerabek as well. HSS website is very comprehensive, you can see profiles of every physician and what insurance they accept.

Just saw another post you made elsewhere. Della Valle has opted out of Medicare. Rodriguez still takes it. Not sure about the others. Forgot to mention Dr Padgett, I think he still accepts Medicare as well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Betmer
Recent bookmarks