Hip for the Holidays

Beware of amazing YouTube recovery stories.
Usually not representative of most recoveries, and can create unrealistic expectations.
Has been discussed on this site before.
I consider my recovery miraculous and complication free...but certainly wasn't water-skiing and hiking 6 miles 2 weeks post-op.

@jaydub63 Will be busy this week so not sure hours much online time I will have but will certainly be thinking of you.
Glad you will be getting rid if that hip pain.:yahoo:

@Mojo333 it will be a busy one for me too - have to travel tomorrow for work (just one night away) and have my pre-op physical first thing in the morning before I leave. On Friday I have my final appt at the OS office with a PA to go over final questions and do informed consent. It's getting real! Thanks for thinking of me and I hope you have a great week :wave:

Pre-op appts in the bag. Had the physical at the hospital on Monday and all was well except for elevated BP. I'm hoping that was just stress although might be from all the ibuprofen I've been taking. I decided to make the switch over to Tylenol since I'll have to do that anyway. PA thought everything else was great and I didn't need the EKG. Had some bloods drawn and peed in a cup (ok, mostly on my hand lol). I also got all the prep instructions for the night before - I don't have to shower with some special concoction, but have to wipe myself off with hibiclens towelettes after the shower. I asked if they smelled nasty and was told no, but they leave you a little sticky. Ewww.

Today went to the OS's office to sign informed consent and take an x-ray. I also found out that my insurance initially denied my surgery!! Because my primary care MD had not signed off...she is the one who sent me to the OS!! Luckily OS office sorted that out and got it approved. I will never understand insurance. Probably why it costs so much here in the US - too much bureaucracy.

Yay. So close now. Glad you are set for takeoff.:thumb:

Not too long now @jaydub63 all those pre-op appointments and form filling make it all feel so real. I had to shower with stuff for 5 days before and after the op. Wasn't too bad at least it didn't smell yucky. Today is last day to use the stuff so that's another box ticked. Take care and stay positive!

Thanks @Tomgirl and I'm so glad to hear your recovery is going so well! You'll be the Dancing Queen before you know it.
These next couple of weeks will go quickly for me. My daughter's birthday is Wednesday and we have the Thanksgiving holiday Thursday so it will be a short work week. Also have a new bed and mattress arriving on Friday - yay! The following week will be devoted to getting my work in order for my leave and doing the final home prep - really just a few rugs to roll up and install the raised toilet seats, although hubby could do that once I'm in the hospital. And I should rearrange some clothes for after the surgery for easy access. I'll be rocking a lot of sweats and yoga pants for comfort.

Hi @jaydub63
You're right, the next couple weeks will go by fast with Thanksgiving, then straight
into all of the holiday hub bub none of us can avoid.
You'll be in those comfy sweats in recovery before you know it.
You sound well prepared and ready to roll. We'll be here looking forward to your
Post op thread.
Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

@Layla Thank you so much, and I hope that you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. I have much to be grateful for this year. Only two more weeks. I feel strangely calm about the surgery at the moment - I'm sure that will change! :yikes:

Hi @jaydub63, I kept myself busy and therefore distracted till the night before surgery. I think you’ll be the same with Thanksgiving, then getting everything organised, house in order, bags packed etc.
Take care

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Have a good day. A new life for a new year coming right up.
:cheers2:

I had Internal stitches and skin glue - was able to shower at the hospital the morning after my surgery - felt heavenly!

Everyone will probably think I am totally crazy, but I am spending my last full week before surgery across the pond on business. This weekend I had a lovely two days in Paris (ok that wasn't business) - my second time there. I got over my vanity and brought a folding cane with me (a cute one by switch sticks) and that got me through the Louvre, Notre Dame and the D'Orsay yesterday with minimal discomfort. I also was able to climb all the steps to Sacre Coeur on Saturday (including the circular stone steps to the dome) and numerous metro stations and long walks all weekend. I met up with a business associate and she's been a great help with luggage, etc. as well. Now I'm in Frankfurt for a trade show until Friday. I was very nervous about how my hip would hold up but it's been a champ so far - feeling it more in my calves and thighs at the moment! This trip was in the works before I decided to schedule my surgery, so it became one of the markers for a "window of opportunity" to get my surgery done before my next big work commitment in March. Also a great distraction heading into next week for sure! By sheer luck I don't have to quit my ibuprofen habit until the day I fly back. I've been reading all the positive recovery threads going on right now which keeps up my optimism for a good recovery. Now if it would just quit raining in Frankfurt...

Hi @jaydub63 , oh, far from it. What an excellent way to keep yourself distracted. Glad the cane enabled you to enjoy the trip.

I agree-great thing to do, keeps you distracted. Much better than just sitting and waiting. While I didn't get a nice trip, I kept busy with a work project through the weekend prior to my Monday surgery and got the house ready. I figured it didn't matter if I was exhausted (or if it bothered the hip) because I knew I wouldn't be doing any of that stuff for a while afterwards!

I made it home from my overseas trip today...also first day off of ibuprofen. Not feeling it too badly right now, but I'm dog tired from the 6 hour time difference and just trying to stay up so I can get back to my usual time zone. I get to sleep in my new bed on a new mattress tonight - it was delivered the day I left on my trip so I haven't gotten to sleep in it yet. It's the proper height for complying with restrictions so that was essential.

Weekend plans are to stock the freezer and fridge with meals and snacks so hubby doesn't have to worry about that for the first week at least. Also need to move some clothes around so I don't have to bend to much to get to them during recovery. I've got all my equipment except for a walker, which I'll get at discharge. Mon/Tues will be tying up loose ends on some work projects. Can't believe my date is next week!! I also saw today on Facebook that one of my high school track teammates just had a hip replacement, so I don't feel quite as much like an old lady.

Hi @jaydub63
How exciting! Your trip sure sounds like fun. I'd love to experience Paris someday.
Hopefully you get some decent sleep in your new bed. Sometimes it's seems they require getting used to.
Hoping you have a good week as you tie up loose ends in anticipation of next Wednesday. You sound well prepared.
Best wishes for a nice weekend!

Glad trip went well. Good luck with prep-sounds like your covering all bases!

I'd love to go back to Paris. Went as a child in the 70s when dad was stationed overseas for summer trip. Spent the entire day refusing to 'appreciate' the artwork because we didn't get to swim in the hotel swimming pool before checking out to go to the museum.
Remember Mom saying "and there is the Mona Lisa" and me saying "that's it? She's ugly and it's little"
Now I look back at the pictures of our trip on slides, yes...slides, and think...completely wasted it.
In a child's eyes, Mona Lisa was ugly, David didn't have pants:yikes:, and why would they want to keep a lady named Venus who had her arm broke off?:rotfl:

LOL I can see how as a child Paris wouldn't hold much appeal! I didn't go until last year and found it to be magical. So interesting to see all the great art and monuments that one reads about. It's special to me as well because my maternal grandmother was from there and my mother lived there for a short time as a teenager. @Mojo333 it did surprise me the first time I saw the Mona Lisa too - the painting is unexpectedly small for such a famous work! Unfortunately now there are crowds of tourists with selfie sticks jockeying for position which is very annoying. And I would really like to visit again minus hip pain, although I have tried not to let that hold me back on my 2 short visits.

New bed was heavenly last night - so much easier to get in/out than our old very low platform bed. Just finished up Costco and Target runs and headed out again on more errands shortly. Got my supply of laxatives and stool softeners in case they are needed. We're having very nice weather here in MI for early December, so I need to get out in it while I can!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back