THR Hip flexor pain

Patmac

Country
United States United States
Two weeks post op I woke up with severe pain rendering me unable to weight bear. After 10 days I can walk but am still having severe pain. I’m thinking it matches hip flexor strain or tear but I can’t think of how it happened. If it is, how should I balance rest with the exercises and walking needed to rehab the THR? Has anyone experienced this?

:wave:and :welome:to Bonesmart. If you don't mind, will you leave us your date of surgery and which hip was replaced so we can add this to your signature.

Not sure what kind of pain meds you are on, but hopefully something that has been strong enough to keep that pain at bay...you will find you are able to get about better and rest better if you stay ahead of the pain.
Hopefully you are using lots of ice, as that really helps with the pain also.
Lots of soft tissue trauma getting that new hip put in there, so I hope you are babying that hip with a walker and helping it up and down when resting.

Early days, friend but it will get better and lots of us Bonesmarties have been where you are.

I'm leaving you our Hip Recovery Guidelines so take note of these very helpful articles.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.

I agree with all, Mojo, said above but would also suggest you stop all exercise for the time being, with the exception of walking only.

Check out the article on Activity Progression For THR above in the Recovery Guidelines so you’re not overdoing it. Hopefully with some rest and dedicated icing you’ll feel better soon. :fingersx:

Stop back and let us know how you’re doing, we’ll be here to support in any way we’re able. :)
@Patmac

What exercises are you doing? In the first 2 weeks it was way too early for me to be doing any exercises. Rest and ice was the best thing for my new hips and then walking.

My right hip surgery was July 9. My left was on May 19th. With the left I put myself on a strict walking schedule of five miles in the fourth week and 8 miles a day by the sixth.
This right one has been much harder. Even the first two weeks were much harder than the first. Then I woke up not being able to walk— it really freaked me out. I had been doing two miles a day. I woke up and I could not bear any weight— even resting the foot on the ground was excruciating. Thank god I had left over Percocet from the first one. Although even that didn’t cut through the pain.

I’m doing better today though I still can’t lift my leg without assistance. They have me going to PT tomorrow— should I do that?

Oh my stars, dear @Patmac
I think you have officially hit the ODIC, known by some of our Bonesmarties as The Overdid It Club. :sigh:
With the left I put myself on a strict walking schedule of five miles in the fourth week and 8 miles a day by the sixth.
I think you somehow dodged some of the chronic issues from overdoing it with lefty, but each hip recovery is different even on the same person.
Way too much too soon can cause any number of chronic issues including bursitis and tendonitis, which would be my guess.
Here is a rather simplistic video that is rather good, I think, at explaining it.
They have me going to PT tomorrow— should I do that?

No, I think you should rest, elevate, and ice as much as possible as that is what is likely to get you feeling better.
There will be plenty of time to strengthen and tone later.
Sending healing vibes your way and hoping you take this advice to heart. Your body has been through a lot over the last four months, and lots of energy is being channeled to heal not only the surgical trauma, but the overactivity.
Chronic tendonitis and other issues can take months to resolve...

Oh boy, I am sorry to read that you are struggling with pain.
I agree with all that Mojo said with one different twist.. IF your PT office is the type that would offer you some hands on work or ultrasound treatments (or other modalities like that) then it could be helpful to go. But I would suggest calling them and telling them your issues and see if they are on board with that, definitely no exercise should be asked of you until you are feeling much improvement.

I had an easy time with lefty, and a more difficult time with righty, too. No 2 hips are the same, even on the same body!

Last edited:
Just like me you found that no 2 hips, even on the same person are the same. Your regimen for your first hip sounds pretty extreme. I thought the miles mattered then I realized it was better to concentrate on doing better than doing more. For some reason I'd say that doing more work to a leg that's hurting wouldn't be the best for it. What would be the harm in doing nothing?

Hi @Patmac:wave:
Hope you are chilling today and staying hopeful and encouraged.
Healing hugs coming your way××××

I hope some rest with elevation, ice :ice:is helping with your pain. Have a restful peaceful day.

Hope you're resting, icing, and elevating today, basically just take it easy and let your hips recover.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We’d love to hear from you and we’re hoping all is well.
Please leave an update when you have the time and share you’re progress. We’re rooting for you as you continue on the journey! :walking:
@Patmac

I have been following your advice with rest, elevatio, and ice. I am feeling somewhat better but still can’t lift my leg due to flexors. Thanks for info, advice, and help. I will continue the above advice.

Good morning @Patmac
I agree with @CricketHip that, especially if you give yourself a few more weeks to ensure you recover what sounds like a little too much too soon ....a very mindful therapist can help guide you.
In the meantime, heel slides and glute squeezes in very conservative amounts may help.
Weak glutes are often the culprit with hip flexor issues.
I would do some easy stretches in bed before getting up just to get things firing. At about 6 weeks out, I liked to use a stretch where one leg is gently lowered off the side of the bed (gently)..not to the point where anything pulls hard...to stretch out the hip flexors.

When easy does it walking, try to make sure you are standing tall and using your glutes when walking heel to toe.
It can feel super awkward at first...nice to practice when no one is watching.
The trick is not to do anything of this for long lengths of time or an overabundance of reps.
Stretching out those hip flexors and strengthening those glutes this early out of two major surgeries needs to be incrementally.
It will get easier and better as things heal more and you keep the activity moderate.
As always, ice all you can as inflammation definitely can make things tight.
It can be quite the dance, so keep the faith friend.

Hi @Patmac
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lefty!
With any luck you’re feeling a bit better since we last heard from you a week and a half ago. Two major surgeries within less than two months is a lot to recover from. It will take time and patience.

If you’re still attending PT and struggling, you may want to consider stepping back for a time allowing your body to heal more.
I hope you feel steadier and stronger week by week. :)

Hi friends,

ive been doing the 100% rest. I still have to help my leg up into bed. This flexer is a little better every day, but it is slow. I wonder if some limited walking might strengthen things some. It feels like I’m atrophying by not doing anything. I won’t lie it’s pretty demoralizing how slow it’s healing. It’s also strange how there’s no pain when I’m standing or walking but I can’t lift my leg. I’ll try to step up the glute clenches. I just wish I could do some walking. Thanks for all you’re support.

My right was stubborn when it came to lifting it. Still get a dull pain in the upper thigh into my butt when tying my shoes. Still weak when doing squats.

My surgery was on June 9. I had had hip flexor pain before the surgery and a couple of weeks after the surgery (when I started moving around more) the hip flexor pain started coming back.

A few weeks ago, I told my PT that it didn't feel like regular pain; it felt like an injury. She told me to back off of anything that gives me the stabbing pain feeling. She told me that hip flexors can take a long time to calm down, and if you don't let them heal it can turn into tendonitis. Heel slides even caused me pain.

So I made a rule for myself that I could stay active unless it hurt my hip flexor, and I did some gentle quad stretching and gentle massage. I did not find walking painful unless I took really long strides. Can you walk at all?

My PT also tried dry needling. My hip flexor is getting better and better.

Schaargi,

That is what my gut tells me. I have almost no pain walking. I would love to start short stride walking and maybe try the Chi Walking that seems to be all the rage. I fear this flexer is a long way from being right and I feel like I have to do something. What are thoughts on this from the rest of the group?

As with anything try walking and see how your leg feels. Do not push and ice and elevate after. The trick is to find the balance of not overdoing it but to slowly and steadily build on your progress as well as slowing down and taking a rest when pain rears.

I do not know anything about chi walking but we normally recommend heel/toe walking as a way to regain normal gait. Personally I always started with smaller steps and concentrated on proper gait before extending to a normal or larger step after a time. I actually never noticed when I transitioned since it became natural and it did not hurt or ache. I let my body and hip decide.

Proper Walking Step Motion
1. Strike the ground first with your heel.
2. Roll through the step from heel to toe.
3. Push off with your toes.
4. Bring the back leg forward to strike again with the heel.

Heel-first walking is more efficient than toe-first at transferring stored energy into motion, so our muscles don't have to do as much work.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom