Hip collapse?

And will you be doing that shape of 3D effect? None of my quilts have anything so fancy, just stitching along where the different pieces of patchwork join. Is it done by hand, or can it be machine sewn?

@Klassy It is machine done in my case although there are still plenty of people that do all their quilts by hand. Because I am a beginner, I use a friction pen to draw my quilting pattern and then kind of trace my markings with the machine foot (I go for a bit a paisley look-a-like), then there is a special foot for the machine that is quite loose and you need to be super attentive to guide it ~ definitely not for one with a glass of wine on board :):) I would like to try a small piece maybe a pillow with a series of straight lines; I have seen the finished result and they are really smart!

@Whoknew You mentioning PTSD caught my eye. Although our stories are very different I can relate on that topic. At one point the lawyer had me see a psychologist and she said I had "an adjustment disorder".

I was a very healthy (other than rheumatoid arthritis) and fairly active 54 year old woman, working a busy full time job when my husband & I escaped to Jamaica for our 1st kid free vacation in 27 years. On the morning of the middle day I slipped at the edge of a plunge pool, hit my leg on the edge that resulted in a tibial plateau fracture. Hoping I had just had a nasty knock that perhaps had either caused a arthritis flare or a deep bruise, I manged getting around the resort on crutches for the last few days of the trip. Thankfully, I had pre-purchased VIP passes for the airport so was well cared for in a wheelchair there and given plenty of rum punch for painkiller :yahoo:

Side story: We were at a resort that had one section that was clothing optional. We chose to stay on the clothing side but the closest drink shack was around the corner in the clothing optional side. They also did a limited supply of bbq lamb chops at lunch time. So we had a plan: a couple we met were coming over to our walkout patio for lunch. Before they were due to arrive, I went to get the drinks in and then my husband was going to go get in the very long line-up for the lamb chops. I arrived at the side of the shack, trying to find the end of the drinks line. I wound up with my back to the plunge pool. The popcorn machine was blowing hot air on me so I tried to slip behind 2 other women to get away from the heat. Being pretty aware of personal space because they were both stark naked, my side stepping was a bit awkward, my flip flop slipped on the painted edge of the pool and in I went. All the people around the pool apparently heard the bang when my leg hit but thought it was my head. Next thing I knew, a rather large pair of hands went around my waist and all I could think of was how awkward I was going to feel being rescued by a big naked guy. I was so relieved to see he was suited up once they got me out :shocked:

So once back in Canada, the break was confirmed and I was in a full leg zimmer for a Rx of 12 weeks but that kept getting delayed. Shortly after I broke my leg, they found a DVT behind the knee which then resulted in a PE. 17 weeks (?) after the break, I was graduated to 50% weight bearing with crutches and the zimmer still on. The next day we flew out to Alberta for our daughter's wedding. Going to do some last minute wedding errands with 2 of our grandchildren the next morning, we headed to the mall. It was bucketing down rain so my husband dropped the kids and I off in the loading zone and sat us down under cover at a picnic table while he found parking. On his return we headed inside with me stopping to dry the bottom of my crutches on the carpet because I had already developed a real fear of falling. After my efforts, I had already slipped and fallen when I noticed the guy with a mop. I knew immediately my hip was broken.

So following all that, I got quite depressed. I was a social worker in a homeless shelter for men; couldn't work because it was actually quite a physical job often responding rapidly to emergencies in the building using stairs. I found travelling to see my kids and grandkids very difficult and once there I couldn't run around with them, etc. A change in income, having to see a lawyer to get my work benefits. I was afraid of anyone walking close to me, even cars passing ours too close. Wet floor surfaces could make my hyperventilate!

At the same time all this was going on, one of our sons who is a firefighter was diagnosed with PTSD. In learning how to support him, I realized although his issues were like night and day to mine, I had some degree of it myself. I think the thing that helped me most was just acknowledging it and then talking about it. Some of my fears seemed so unreasonable that I found them embarrassing to admit to them. I also tried to stay busy with new hobbies as I see you are. My main passion had been cooking which was too difficult to pursue. It will be 5 years in March since all this started and in April I get my hip fixed up properly. To say things like this are life changing is such an understatement in my opinion and it's important to acknowledge that. Know that you are not alone in this journey. I try to keep the thought that things can only get better and if they don't, I guess I am better than many.

I do hope your sinus infection clears up quickly with no complications. Being nervous of another infection affecting your hip when you had a such a close call must be very nerve wracking!
:flwrysmile:

@Carriemay60,
I copied your post from Whoknew's thread, there is a copy in both threads. Your story of your injuries is pertinent to your story, including it here will make it easier for you to find in the future. It also will help us to have your story in your thread.
Thanks!

wow, yes I certainly get the PTSD! You've been through a rough time for sure and all of the changes in what we can do can certainly add to the fears (yes, I'm still terrified of falling and breaking something since the surgery)! My partner and I were in a head on collision going on 4 years ago...drunk driver hit us. Crushed my chest, messed both of us up in the back and neck. It happened in the dark, and to this day I have issues being in a car at night..although I've for the most part stopped screaming when I think a car is heading at us lol. It's tough and only time helps it. hang in there...this too eventually passes (I hope)!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom