Hip collapse?

@Layla Yes, I use the heating pad at night and while on the couch during the day along the side of my hip and thigh. While resting, if I keep the warmth on, my thigh doesn't really hurt but unfortunately it reminds me it's there the minute I stand up.
I do find getting out, even for a stop at the grocery store using the mobility scooter helps my mental health. I'm a real foodie so grocery stores are fun for me, lol. I'm surprised I've never been accused of loitering :rofsign:

I won't be going anywhere for a few more days now. We are about to get hit with another nasty snow & ice storm that is predicted to dump another foot on us. This winter feels never ending!

I think mood swings both before and after surgery are common. When you are in pain like you are, it is probably difficult to think of other things and it could be easy to feel a bit depressed. Try to spend as much time as possible on quiet activities such as reading a book, knitting, inviting a friend over for coffee/tea and a chat, call a friend on the phone for a chat, etc. each persons interests are different so it is hard to make recommendations to others and come up with something they would be interested in. Important thing is to find something (something that involves sitting) to occupy your mind so you aren’t dwelling in the pain. The surgery sounds closer if you count the weeks and not the days :loveshwr::yes!::loveshwr:

@GrannyC 7 weeks, one day and 22 hours until show time!! :loveshwr::dancy::shocked::yikes:

I wish I could knit but despite many tries I just can't keep an even tension. I love puzzles but the sitting is a groaner right now.

I do sew however and debating packing my current puzzle away for later and getting my machine out. Isn't it you that sews? With another grandbaby due in March, I would like to get going on the quilt. I can normally get completely lost in sewing and once you do a quilt for one....
I can sit on a dining chair for short periods with an extra cushion. The reason I haven't been sewing yet is the getting up and down to the ironing board was taking on a toll on both short and long term pain. If it is you that was sewing early in recovery I wonder if you found a solution to that? I have a lovely gender neutral (this baby will be a surprise) pattern chosen so if you learned any tricks I would love to hear about them!
:flwrysmile:

Yes, I did do some sewing both before and after surgery. I was one of the lucky ones as far as pain goes. Most of the time it didn’t bother me to sit or sleep. It did hurt, however, when I walked. Then there was pain with nearly every step and it seemed to get worse after I scheduled my surgery although there were still occasional days where it seemed better and I’d question my decision but I never did change my mind. My recovery went well and I did have some occasional aches, etc. but for the most part I was quite comfortable and not bothered with sitting. The chair at my sewing machine is really an office chair that raises/lowers and swivels. With a chair like that, you can sit and sew with your ironing board in the side and swivel your chair towards ironing board when you need to iron without getting out of your chair. I started sewing maybe a week after surgery and it was a great way to pass the time. At first I only sat at the machine for short periods and then got up to move a bit before sitting back down. I don’t remember now just how much I sewed early on. I guess I’d have to go back and read my thread as I posted nearly every day at first trying to document my recovery in the hope it might help someone else down the road. The idea of starting your baby quilt is a good one. Even if you can only work on it for short periods of time each day, that time adds up and you will definitely see progress on the quilt and it will feel good to see it all unfold. How exciting a new grand baby is on the way!!

It sounds like you’ve got that countdown down pat!! Not sure if I mentioned it before but those first couple of weeks I spent endless hours on BoneSmart right along with Mojo333 who had her bilateral just a couple days after me and Layla who had hers a month or two later. We were all on here a LOT!! Your new chair sounds wonderful and I’m sure you will get lots of use out of it. If nothing else, you can curl up in it with a good book to pass the time. Hang in there!!

@GrannyC Your idea of using an office chair is great! :loveshwr:

Sometimes when someone suggests something I really have to shake my head and wonder, 'how on earth didn't I think of that'!! Especially since I happen to have a decent one. :what:

I am going to push forward with the quilt as soon as I can get out to select my fabrics. We had quite the ice storm last night and the porch and walkways looks like hundreds of broken icicles frozen into a bit of snow. We also lost a significant size limb off our large maple in the front yard narrowly missing our new car. Thankfully we escaped the widespread power outage that is as close as 3 blocks away.

While I wait to get out, I am thinking of exploring my bits and pieces for a little lap quilt for the recliner. As so many of you say, it's best to stay busy!
:thankyou:

You can always shop for fabric online. Because I have an Etsy shop and also sell to stores, I need a huge variety of fabrics and I can’t find that locally at JoAnns. I love quiltshops.com which is a website that links over 100 quiltshops to one place. You can search for a brand, a design, a specific print, etc and if you click on thumbnails, it shows you the print it came up with along with a link to the shop that carries it. I’m not sure if there are Canadian shops or not but if you find a certain print you like, then you could search a Canadian quilt shop to find it. You can also compare prices that way, too. I spend wayyyyyy toooo much time looking at fabric online!! No need to go out in the cold and deal with the pain of shopping since you can shop online. If you stick to fabric brands you are familiar with, you will be fine.

You might also consider a scrappy quilt and use scraps you have on hand. That is what I did for youngest granddaughter when she was born 3 hrs ago. It is bright but plain/blender prints so I felt she could always use it since it wasn’t a “baby” print.

My husband worked from home today and got lots of salt down so I did get out. (We had words about me leaving the house but the truth is, if he wasn't home, he wouldn't even know I'd left so suck it up my love!) I got my batting and after 3 stops found strawberries worth dipping in Belgium chocolate for tomorrow night :) By that time, it was whiteout conditions (yes, @Barbaraj , we have to drive in this to survive). I could see the car in front of me but only the rear lights of the next car in front so came home without going downtown for my fabrics :sad:
I may or may not try going tomorrow for my fabrics. Very happy news today that our youngest son will be home Friday for a 3 day weekend. Don't want to blow my own horn but he adores me and is wonderful company.
I am a very lucky mom :loveshwr:

I phoned my mom today (just turned 91 last week) to check that she was ok as they are getting unprecedented snow where she lives. She had just had news that her oldest friend (from when they were about 14/15 years old) had passed. I have a few friends I am still in touch with even on a daily basis despite living on opposite sides of Canada and just felt heartbroken for her. I am fortunate to be in close touch with many old friends (just wish I had some where I live now!!!) So just a thought for all of us to call an old friend with a friendly hello
:flwrysmile:

So just a thought for all of us to call an old friend with a friendly hello
Thanks for that Great Thought..I shall do that today.
Hope your day is sweet!

Enjoy your weekend with your son.

I love quilts and have several, either purchased or given to me by my a friend who is a quilter. I so much admire the skill and talent for design that goes into them.

I was the dunce of the sewing class when they tried to teach us in school so I’ve never made anything, to my regret. Even if I have to hem something, I either bodge it with tacking stitches or if it’s a special outfit I pay a professional. At least I used to. More recently Husband has introduced me to the wonders of glue for hems.

I hope I haven’t shocked you!

@Klassy My mother recently sent my daughter the apron I made in that sewing class! Purple gingham with a but of cross stitch to boot! I have done a bit over the years but only started quilting lessons when I went off work when I broke my leg. I don't take take regular lessons anymore - I need to master being a beginner on my own now. I did pull off a lovely baby quilt and pillow for the last grandbaby with lots of help from my mentor though.
If I need pants or a dress hemmed, I always take it in to be done! Otherwise it's a similar sad ending to trying to cut your own fringe!
:)

@Carriemay60 i made a very similar apron when I was at school. Mine was red and white gingham and we had to cross stitch our name across the waistband.
@Klassy did you see the Great British Sewing Bee on TV last Tuesday? I really enjoyed it and went out the next day and bought some material for a summer dress.
Before I do that though I am adapting a body pillow into something I can use to elevate my leg for a TKR in 2 weeks time.

Your stories of aprons reminded me that I did actually make a skirt back in those sewing classes. I was feeling a bit shamefaced that I am less capable now than I was at age 10. Then I remember how hideous that skirt was!

I HATED needlework at school. I am left handed and the demonstrations were all for right handed people. I used to be in tears because I just could not do it. We too made aprons out of gingham. Ugh!

My proudest moment was when I made a 70s long waistcoat out of a turquoise and purple check and hand sewed binding around the outer edges. Covered my hips so that is the “ hip related” reference! So got there eventually but definitely not my favourite hobby.

@Klassy @SurreyGirl You might be surprised with talent and patience that was not there as a kid! Surrey, finishing a waistcoat is huge!! I have a friend in the UK who is a wonderful seamstress now. She is left handed and the pain she went through having to use right handed scissors, adapt procedures, etc. was heartbreaking to hear about. Making a hobby of sewing is not for everyone for sure. If you don't love it, it can feel very tedious.

This is the quilt I am making for the newbie coming in March. Will do it gender neutral as they have chosen not find out.
ascontent.fybz2_1.fna.fbcdn.net_v_t1.15752_9_51861068_237841151a6b16e1ebd90bb0868b399b590f3407.jpg

Wow that is talent! Love the elephants s

I play the violin to quite a high standard. When I had my first lesson I picked up the violin in my right hand and bowed with my left. I had a natura bowing arm. Of course this was the wrong way round. It took me over 15 years to get a decent bowing arm with my right hand.

I remember the welts from rh scissors only too well and ink smudges from pens.... at least I was allowed to write left handed. When my mother was at school the nuns tied her left hand behind her back and forced her to write with her right hand. So cruel! As a result her handwriting was terrible!

@Carriemay60
That quilt is beautiful and such intricate work. I would be so pleased if I could do,so,etching even half as complicated.
Well done

It’s glorious! I love the design, the colours...

How do you get that wonderful texture effect?

@Klassy That is the "quilting". You sew in the lines after the batting (filling) is under the quilt top and it gives that little 3D effect. You can do that quilting in a variety of patterns that produce different effects. I can only hope my finished quilt will look as good as this pattern picture. I am making a super simple little throw quilt to have handy for recliner snoozes.

@SurreyGirl That is horrible, my step father was also forbidden to use his left hand. So glad they have stopped forcing children now, it was cruel. Did you have to change your bowing arm to "fit in" or is it because of the design that it has to played right handed?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562