Hip collapse?

@Klassy Christmas presents in February! They do put up with a lot! I did manage to make a nice bar square for his "birthday person brings the treat". He was so grateful he took me for Thai :) This probably sounds bloody awful but I buy quite lovely cards. Many are 3D; I have also saved a few from friends that are truly lovely. None of them say things like "Happy Birthday" on the front so I have been saving a few to eventually frame as a memory. Eventually, I thought I would have custom matting done to suit all the various sizes in a big frame maybe for a guestroom. So because I couldn't get out to get anything I dug out a card from a couple years ago that I have done scrapbook style printing inside - great luck!!!! It say's "Happy Birthday Birthday to my love, Peter" SCORE!!!!!!! :roseshwr::loveshwr::yes!:

On a more serious note. I did my duty today and phoned my mother for her 91st birthday. She has stenosis in her back and has had surgery about 11-12 years ago which had pretty good results compared to not being to move with screaming her head off. It was pitiful. (I have a girlfriend with it now and they won't operate due to her weight). Anyway, my mom recently saw a new doctor and he thinks her knee troubles (one was replaced 17+ years ago) could be related to her back again. She seems to think he said that some of her spasms could be caused by floating particles?

So, my question is, when cartilage breaks off from our hip, is it really a material that could float around in there?

Appointment with the OS went fine. Because of a ice storm it was a bit risky getting to & from the taxi but thankfully the drivers were helpful. I was actually one of only 2 people that were being seen. Because of the storm they were rescheduling everyone but hadn't phoned me yet when I got there.

So he says I am now bone on bone and he thinks I a getting a lot of rubbing. He asked me to describe the pain in detail, watched me walk (hobble). He added that there could be a hairline fracture not visible on the x-ray so he said we should be prepared to have to replace the femoral stem and start over. He made a comment about the OA seeming to be getting worse very fast.

There are no other surgery date options unless they get a 3 hour slot of cancellations but he assured me I was first in line if that happened.

It’s good you were still able to keep your appt despite the storm. I’m sure you were hoping for a sooner surgery date but somehow it usually seems reassuring to have seen the doctor to confirm what the problem is and know he is aware of your situation. April isn’t all that far away so if you can just take it easy (not that you have much choice) until then, you know you will get rid of that pain come April 4. Hang in there!

Sorry you couldn't confirm a new op date at your appointment. But it does sound like your surgeon is looking out for you. Hang in there!

Awful that you have to wait in pain, but at least you have an end date and the possibility of an earlier spot. Maybe the fates that were looking out for you and didn’t let your appointment be cancelled by the ice storm will work some more magic for you.

I don't wish that neverending OA pain on anyone.
I lived on a heating pad...not a great help, but somewhat soothing.
You have all the sympathy in the world from me.:console2:
Hang in there @Carriemay60

@Mojo333 Thank you - cannot imagine going as long as you did. As @GrannyC & @Klassy said at least my surgery is in April. I am definitely using the heating pad much more; like you say it doesn't really help with the pain but is soothing and helps a little with the aching. After resting it all week, I noticed less sharp pain yesterday which is encouraging so I will continue to keep activity moderate. I think it will do my mental health good if I can do a little bit outside the house every 2-3 days rather than some big outing and be grounded for a week. There is a bit part of me that wants the surgery in April because the weather will be so much nicer by then!

We actually had one of our news guys ice skating on the sidewalks yesterday following ice rain for a couple of days. It's horrendous out there!

As a crow flies, it looks like you really don’t live all that far from me so I can definitely relate to the weather. We are near Lake Ontario about an hour north of Syracuse, NY and 15 minutes south of Watertown, NY. We had the freezing rain, the ice, high winds and all that fun stuff with lake effect snow to resume later today. Not a fin winter so good days to stay inside as you don’t want to take a chance of falling.

We actually had one of our news guys ice skating on the sidewalks yesterday following ice rain for a couple of days.

Oh my stars!!!:nah:
I'm a big wimp when it comes to the cold and it certainly isn't helpful to achy hips...new ones or old ones.
Let's form a caravan, thousands of hippys strong... and storm the border of Belize and insist we are environmentally oppressed.:giggle:

@GrannyC Oh yes, getting lots of the same weather I think. We are halfway between Niagara Falls and Toronto and right on the lake. Very treacherous to go outside!

Just noticed this question.
So, my question is, when cartilage breaks off from our hip, is it really a material that could float around in there?
I believe in the medical community they call these particles - loose bodies.
These loose bodies are like getting sand in your sunscreen. An area that is supposed to be smooth is now rough and causing discomfort.
I'm assuming it's one of the things they "clean up" when they replace our hip.
According to what I've read, when they are removed they will look like tiny irregularly or oval shaped white stones that vary in size but are generally 5 – 20 mm long.
Loose bodies can cause catching, popping, and pain within the joint. They can also cause damage to the other areas of normal cartilage thus accelerating the arthritic process.
Another reason to baby that hip while you wait.

Last edited:
Thanks again Mojo. I forgot to ask him this question when I saw him. Really interesting and may just explain a few of the blips I've been having. :shrug:
@Mojo333

That is interesting. Pre op I would get an occasional sharp pain while walking that felt like something had snagged then freed itself inside the joint, sounds like it may have been one of those loose bodies.

Yes keep resting as much as you can.

So yesterday I happened to have my quarterly appointment with my Rheumatologist and am I ever glad I did! Up until then, no one has mentioned anything about my current medications and I am thinking maybe no one would have until my pre-op appointments.
I am to stop my bone density medication right away that I normally take once a month because there is some thinking that it may impair my bones from setting up with the prosthetic. Because I am nearing the 10 year preferred limit on that one, he will start me on something else when I see him in June.
I also take a biologic injection monthly for my rheumatoid arthritis which I have to be off for a month either side of surgery so he has taken me off it now in case I get a surgery call earlier.
Point of sharing is that it has once again pointed out to me how important it is to be our own advocates and do our homework.

Wow, yes. It’s so fortunate that the timing of this appointment enabled you to get that advice in time.

Yay!!! Just purchased a dark grey recliner for $50. Son got his parents lift chairs - looks in incredible condition. He's delivering it on Monday so I will have it to relax in pre-op as well. I'm finding sitting on the couch even with my tuffet foot stool more uncomfortable every day! So happy, especially since it is coming from older, tidy people.
:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Hi @Carriemay60 :hi:
Great news! I hope you find the recliner comfy and love it.
It's a blessing you learned what you did at your quarterly visit with the Rheumatologist.
One of the things I liked about my Orthopedic office were text messages they began sending a couple months before my op, with useful reminders. Initially I was annoyed by the first few because they were a reminder of the upcoming surgery I wasn't looking forward to, but I grew tp appreciate some of the reminders I received.
I hope you have a great week!

I like the idea of the texts. You never know when it just might answer a question you've had - that's the best thing about this forum is our little questions that we would be unlikely to bother the surgeons office with!

I feel very fortunate that I learned about my biologic injection especially. They compromise your immune system and I wouldn't have wanted that. It had occurred to me a month or more ago but then I forgot about it. I feel quite preoccupied and scattered.

Cooking dinner, I was sitting on my walker in the kitchen and despite setting timers for reminders I got lost in thought and ignored the timers. I said to my husband "I feel like my brain is all mixed up and I'm being quite weird". His reply "well, you know what they say about trusting your feelings" :heehee:

I feel like I am keeping a bit of depression only just at bay yet also feel a manic in my moods. Happy as heck about one thing one hour and feeling scared and in the dumps the next. It's playing on my mind a lot that with my latest setback, my husband's caretaking "shift" has more than doubled. He is pretty willing but you can't deny it's exhausting for our supports and I imagine he sometimes rolls his eyes heavenward behind my back (especially when he gets the short end of a mood I might be in).

I am also doubting myself about how long I can cope with little to no sleep and being so constantly in pain. Until a couple of weeks ago, I had periods of time without pain, some decent sleep; could almost forget it if I was busy mentally or distracted by something pleasant. That all seems to be gone. All I can do is keep my eye on the prize for April and enjoy the little things like my 9 year old grandson phoning and asking "how's the pain in your bum Nanny"? and then breaking into great giggles. (his father puts him up to it, lol)

Hi there,
My heart goes out to you. A lot of what you're expressing brings back some unpleasant memories.
The lead up to surgery is an anxiety producing time. You are mentally pre-occupied and for good reason.
Major surgery is a big deal! It's difficult to keep it from the forefront of your mind. I'd try to stay busy and get out of the house when you can to fill your days as a distraction.

I agree that the forum does answer questions that we may have otherwise considered calling our OS's office about. Especially minor things that you wonder about but wouldn't dream of bothering the OS with.

Learning about your biologic injection is a blessing especially given it could compromise your immune system.

Wondering if you've tried a heating pad at all at night. I have a large one that I used in the weeks leading up to my surgery. I used to lay in bed with it at night when the pain became draining. It didn't relieve my pain 100% but it did help and it was comforting as I watched tv trying to fall asleep. Something to consider if you haven't tried it already.

Wishing you comfort as you await your date.
@Carriemay60

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member