Hip collapse?

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
I had a Right Hemiarthroplasty (partial hip replacement) in 2014 and am scheduled for a revision to THR in early April.

The last week or two I have had increasing pain in my hip, buttock and groin despite believing the pain could not possibly get any worse! Yesterday I bent down to tie the dog out and had the most excruciating pain in my hip and groin that shot down my leg. It was so intense I felt like I was going to vomit. To my horror, I could not put any weight on it for quite a few minutes but eventually was able to use a dining room chair like a walker to hunt down my cane.

I'm still having great difficulty walking without the cane (so am using it) and while the initial pain eased, it is still pretty bad constantly. I have just used the search tools here to read up a bit on hip collapse and am wondering if that's what has happened? However, I am not sure if that is even possible since I have some spare parts already in there?

If it is possible is there anything I should be doing other than limiting activity/weight bearing? I am already on the cancellation list for earlier surgery but am told it's unlikely as my OS wants 3 hours for my surgery and only a 1st in the day slot.

Well I had a hip collapse and it sure sounds like what you experienced. If the acetabulum (socket) can't support the implant anymore this could happen I suppose. Let's ask our medical expert @Josephine .

Meanwhile my only advice would be to stay off that hip as much as possible. Use a cane or crutch to take the weight off that side. You might want to call your surgeon's office and advise them as well. Unfortunately this will only get worse. I hope you can get an earlier surgery date.

Hi @Carriemay60
I'm sorry you're in so much pain.
From your description it sounds excruciating.
I hope you find some relief. I'm looking forward to Josephine's response.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend. :console2:

Thank you Layla. I have phoned the surgeon's office and his receptionist hopes to get back to me in about an hour. She is looking for any surgery date alternatives and he will advise if he wants me to go in for an xray today.

Tell me where this pain is using this chart

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

Thanks for checking in Josephine, I appreciate you taking the time.

Groin: TR2F & VR3F
Hip: RR1G & VR1G
Buttock: TR1B & VR2B

I would rate 3-4 on the pain scale with painkiller (tylenol #3 every 4-6 hours and 200mg of tramadol once daily in the morning)

All right side

Also have discomfort radiating down into my leg as far as my knee.

Hip: RR1G & VR1G
There's no such reference as this, I'm afraid

But the rest is like this, yes?

carrie.jpg

Red one is likely Psoas pain
The blue is probably Trochanteric bursitis

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Yes, go ahead Josephine. The one that doesn't match the graph properly is right on the side where the hip joint is

R1F from S to V. Does that make sense.

Also noticing it increasing at R2B X and Y.

Surgeon has given me the choice of going to Urgent Care this afternoon to see the Ortho on call and get Xrays or see if it settles down and see him Wednesday. He says if my leg feels shorter to go to Urgent Care but that is very difficult to tell properly when I am limping like a sailor with a bent hook!

Home after 6 hours in the Emergency :kickedout:

My surgeon did arrange for an Ortho to see me but unfortunately by the time I got there he was in emergency surgery. When the doc did come, he was well informed of my history. He did a full work up with bloodwork looking for several markers of infection - all good results! Did some xrays. No sign of total collapse or dislocation. They again consulted with my surgeon and between the 2 of them, their best guess is that the osteo is getting worse an the femoral ball is rubbing on my pelvis. If my leg starts giving out I am to go back but otherwise my surgeon will arrange to see me no later than Wednesday. Feel in good hands an happy to be home!!

:console2:I do hope you have a better day.
Hip pain is horrible! :blackcloud:

Hi @Carriemay60. Greetings to you and your family from South Wales! So pleased to read that you got that dreadful pain checked out and that your surgeon will see you again very soon. Hopefully your surgery can be brought forward and you can look forward to being more mobile even sooner. Although you are having such a dreadful time yourself, you still find the time to comfort and encourage others - well done you.

On a lighter note, I just have to tell you that an expression you used in a post to Klassy has kept me smiling all morning. It was "Drives me buggy" - it's new to me, and I just love it!

Hope you have a better day today.

@Carriemay60 so glad you were able to see someone quickly. Please try and stay off that hip. This pre-op pain is just horrid. Please keep us updated.

@helenium Thank you! Glad I gave you a giggle today :)
I am so happy you said where you live! My husband is from Bridgend so very curious to know where you are! I have been lucky enough to visit the UK a few times but visits to Wales and the scenery and beaches were really a treat!
:flwrysmile:

@Mojo333 @Jaycey
I honestly didn't think this pain could get any worse so this has been a bit of a shock! If it doesn't settle down I truly hope they can find an earlier spot for my surgery!

Pre-op pain is relentless and unfortunately there is no medication that even touches it. I limped around for 6 months waiting for surgery and it was horrid! When you are planning every activity around hip pain life isn't fun.

If your OA is getting worse I doubt this will settle. Fingers crossed your surgeon can find an earlier date for your surgery! :fingersx:

:console2:Oh @Carriemay60 , so sorry to hear what you have been going through. I am so sorry too that I missed your news while you were being so kind to me with my petty grumbling. I hope things hold out for you until Wednesday and that they can move your surgery up.

Sending you big hugs.

@Klassy Thank you! To be honest, I think I can cope with pain better than the blues because at least you can take a pill to ease it. Feeling in the dumps makes us feel so alone in our little puddle of tears. :bawl:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts