THR Hip but no plan for replacement

This is familiar except I was quite a bit younger! I am also very fit and in the UK. OA seems quite common in those who play a lot of impact sports - 6 of us at my squash club had new hips in just over a year.

I developed severe pain in my mid 50s and kept going a bit with lots of physio. I also took up Pilates which was very beneficial and which I would highly recommend. But the pain got to a stage that even short walks were painful. At that point I wrote a detailed note of my symptoms and history and had an appointment with my GP (they just needed 5 minutes) who immediately sent me for and X-ray. The NHS then sent me a link the their options website which enabled me to choose a hospital for an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. I was able to get an appointment within two weeks at a private hospital. The surgeon immediately booked me in for a new hip two months later at the private hospital and funded by the NHS.

My recovery was very smooth but it took a long time (over a year) to get all my muscles fully back to normal. I was back up Scafell Pike and Helvellyn at 6 months and skiing the following season. My surgeon said I could do pretty much anything that did not involve jumping from a high height but I am keeping clear of high impact activities - would be happy kicking a ball around casually but would keep clear of competitive squash and football.

Hope this is of some help and best of luck.

@Eman85 good grief! You had problems since a teenager? OW!!! I got my OA from 20 years of ballet classes, half as an adult, and about 25,000miles of jogging in my neighborhood, most of it pushing a Babyjogger. I am not such a stoic this late in life as I was in my 20's-30's. Had chronic pain that started at age 11 and ended abruptly with a lovely surgery at 37 to remove the painful offender. So I knew all about "the pain will be GONE!" and was quite gung ho when I finally found out what it was.

Great advice everyone cheers & very encouraging .Did go to family & friend footy but could not move anywhere near mobile ,took a lot of abuse from young uns, it really has deteriorated dramatically in the last 6 week . Thank you for your brilliant help.

Did go to family & friend footy but could not move anywhere near mobile ,took a lot of abuse from young uns, it really has deteriorated dramatically in the last 6 week . Thank you for your brilliant help.

Awww shoot, that is so frustrating, I personally will be so happy to read that you have an appointment and get a surgery date scheduled. It's so nice to get your active life back and someone as motivated as you will indeed, get it back!

Thank# Cricket , makes me laugh we go on about a new hip like it’s a fresh pair of trainers lol,

Mrs W offers zero sympathy but she hates sport , ( unsurprising as she did her cruciate playing her one game of tennis ever with our Youngest boy who forced her to play , after older son and I did one for a game of golf on a family holiday in Texas ) she says she ain’t pushing me around in wheelchair , at least it will be quieter lol !!!

My final questions re deteriorating hip , why has left one cocked up and I,m right footed ? Does not having repair done quickly damage other joints ?
Could I just be out of alinement ?

Big weather change here in the north of England , lashing down , does damp weather affect the condition ?

Have a great day all , and good luck .

why has left one cocked up and I,m right footed ?
Have you had an x-ray of your hips. You really can't tell if the right hip is also going unless you have an x-ray. Lack of pain doesn't necessarily mean the hip isn't going.
Does not having repair done quickly damage other joints ?
It won't damage other joints but it will put everything out of alignment. You are walking all wrong trying to stay off that bad hip.
does damp weather affect the condition ?
Many people complain about damp weather affecting their arthritic joints.

One thing to remember, the longer you wait and the more extensive the damage, and the longer the recovery.

Have you had an x-ray of your hips. You really can't tell if the right hip is also going unless you have an x-ray. Lack of pain doesn't necessarily mean the hip isn't going.

Cheers J , just what I wanted to hear lol, the other one maybe knackered lol, No I haven’t had an x Ray yet , waiting till docs haven’t got as much of the virus to worry about.

@JohnWilky I find the weather has everything to do with how I feel. It can't affect the actual hip implants, but turns out the soft tissue is just as sensitive. My triggers are, a cold front anywhere in the vicinity, and, oddly, high barometric pressure.

Blimey Z poor lass , I would imagine you get some strange weather in your location too, we ( here in Manchester UK ) are famous for rain , but luckily pour moi the damp weather doesn’t make my condition any worse.

Was thinking ( I know it’s dangerous ) are there no alternative remedies etc that improve the condition.

Has anyone experienced my dramatic / all of a sudden deterioration from being able to in my case run although in pain , too not being able to at all?

It just seems a dramatic end

Has anyone experienced my dramatic / all of a sudden deterioration from being able to in my case run although in pain , too not being able to at all?
My left hip went from tolerable (painful but I pushed through) to horrid in what felt like overnight. Turns out a house move including lifting heavy boxes and pushing furniture caused what was already a bad hip to collapse. Believe me - you don't want to go there! It also took me over 12 months to recover from my LTHR.

Was thinking ( I know it’s dangerous ) are there no alternative remedies etc that improve the condition.
Not really. Once your hip has reached a stage where it needs replacing, nothing is going to make it better, except having it replaced.

For some people, injections relieve the pain for a while, but they can't reverse the damage that is already there and they can't prevent further damage. All they do is relieve some of the pain - and even that doesn't happen for some people.

And for the injections, whether they work or no, isn't there often a wait period before surgery? During which the patient would of course go downhill.

@JohnWilky now I am imagining you all sprouting in moss and ferns from all the rain....don't let that carry on too long!

what do you mean J , re your hip collapsed
It meant a long wait for surgery (THR) and limping around with crutches for 6 months. The only remedy was THR.

This is an image of a collapsed hip. In my case the "ball" part of the joint was worn down to an oval rather than round and it slipped out of the "cup" part of the socket. I could actually hear the bone on bone grinding.
Collapse.png

Ugh ouch ouch ouch ouch. I find it funny-odd how many of us learned our (very rudimentary!) joint xray reading from Josephine, the pro of all pros here!

I had hip pain off and on, mostly on, lol, for 10 years. My knee was the one that started giving me problems and was replaced first.

My hips were not considered after the knee caused problems. I had a great surgeon, but my hips were so bad they caused my knee to take much longer to heal.

I finally had hip replacement 6 weeks ago. It has changed my life since day one! My knee is finally beginning to heal since I can walk and stretch.

I need the other hip replaced and I have the surgery scheduled for January.

This hip isn't as painful YET, but I want to get all of my body repaired. After my knee surgery my hip declined fast and I was in so much pain I was ready for a wheelchair.

My knee surgery recovery was so problematic I cried the hour drive home when the surgeon told me I needed hip replacement immediately.

It was the best decision I ever made. Go for it and enjoy doing all of the things you have stopped doing!!

My final questions re deteriorating hip , why has left one cocked up and I,m right footed ? Does not having repair done quickly damage other joints ?
Could I just be out of alinement ?

Yes, you could be out of alignment, but it's not just out of alignment, it's the pain of an arthritic hip that is causing the muscles to tighten and spasm in some weird ways. So its not like you can get re-aligned when the hip is worn down and throwing painful signals that torque your support system around that hip.

Believe me, we all went through this, shock, denial, then getting in enough pain that we end up begging for the surgery!

Good luck with your decision making.. would love to hear that you opted for an Xray and then you won't be making guesses about what it could be.

For many years I would have a sore left hip, especially when I was adding miles/training for a half marathon. My trainer and I thought it was various muscles, and we worked on several strengthening exercises, etc. It wasn't until I was at an event, that "suddenly" I couldn't walk up flights of stairs, that I started to pay closer attention. It took me six more months before I went in for my first x-ray, and received the diagnosis that at some point I needed a hip replacement (this was last summer). I tried some alternative treatments (PRP injection), and found this forum, and eventually had my surgery last week. Turns out people had noticed a change in my walking a few months before that event, but hadn't said anything. If I could turn back the clock, I would have pursued surgery over 18 months ago. It wasn't until I realized how much my life had changed (things I loved, e.g. running) had disappeared that I took action.

While mine wasn't dramatic, my body slowly stopped being able to perform athletically and started a fairly rapid decline over the last 18 months.

After awaiting app with Doc ‘ ,finally by phone doc agreed that I will require x ray on hip ( no date yet ) but suggested that I take paracetamol to maybe carry on with any athletic activity , saying that it won’t make the situation any worse ??
She also said that a course of physiotherapy may help loosen my hip to more flexibility??
Any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers

I was always told, it's bad already so it's no big deal to keep going. It looks like everyone is different. In my case my "flexibility" was limited by the resistance of my hip joint as it wasn't a round ball in a round socket. Not so much with my left which was the worst so it was done first, but my right went downhill fast.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back