Hip brace pre surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joan

Country
Spain Spain
Can anyone advise if they have used a hip brace or support of some kind pre surgery. I have 6 months to wait and the pain is awful. Medication is not working out because of side effects. Just wondering if a support might help?

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@Joan Welcome to BoneSmart! I was in the same situation before my LTHR. Are you using any walking aid like elbow crutches or a cane? The first thing my surgeon prescribed when he saw my x-ray was elbow crutches. They really did help. Taking the weight off that sore hip does not eliminate the pain but it does ease things.

Also, I would recommend talking to your family doctor about pain medication. There are many options and you should be able to find something without side effects.

So sorry your wait is so long!

Thank you Jaycey. I have been on crutches and not fully weight bearing for 5 months. My gp has been trying to help with the pain but tramadol in the higher doses gives me really bad diarrhoea and I've tried palexia but it makes me sick. I've been on parecetomol for a long time and am ok with that. My experience with the others has put me off!

Well I think we are twins. I can't take the heavy duty pain killers either. Have you tried anti-inflammatories at all? I was on Diclofenac pre LTHR and Naproxen pre RTHR. They only take the edge off and I wouldn't take them long term. But they did help a bit. You can take anti-inflammatories and paracetamol together and for some this combination is quite effective.

Note: I am not a medical expert. Discuss any medication with your GP.

Unfortunately no anti inflammatories as my heart and lungs are at risk as I have Scleroderma. I elected not to continue with them. It's all a bit complicated isn't it. I think my osteonecrosis may be related to the scleroderma but no one wants to confirm that. Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated

Unfortunately no anti inflammatories as my heart and lungs are at risk as I have Scleroderma.
Yes, very complicated especially if you have other issues. That said, I have had to have cardiac treatment recently and I although there is a family history I am inclined to think my long term use of anti-inflammatories may have contributed.

Does heat or ice help your pain at all? I am afraid there is not much on this earth that addresses pre-op pain.

I use heat pads on all my bad joints but my physio advised no ice. I also live in Spain to avoid the British damp and cold. Thanks for all your input

I tell you this - whoever does manage to find such a drug will be in line for a Nobel Prize for services to humanity! There just isn't anything that will do more than take the edge off and I think using a brace is unlikely to work either. Sadly this is the portion dealt out when a person has a badly arthritic hip or knee. It's a desperate situation but it has to be endured for the simple reason there is nothing can be done about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads