Hip Arthroscopy Hip Arthroscopy for 15 year old

dapplega

Country
United States United States
My daughter has been battling hip pain for slightly over a year. Originally brought on we thought from a soccer fall/injury. We have gone through the standard regimen of PT, X-Rays, MRI w/out contrast, more PT, MRI w/contrast which finally culminated in a diagnosis today of a labral tear due to FAI (Femoro-Acetabular Impingement)... The OS (same one who did my THR) is recommending arthroscopy to remove the impingement and repair the labrum. Anyone have experience with this on young teenagers? Was the outcome positive, how long was the recovery, what questions should I be asking, etc?... I'm concerned about this taking place at such an early age and if it will contribute/lead to arthritis down the road... Thanks!

My problem was that I didn’t know I had FAI until I was 15 years into my military career. The high impact duty had caused the low-clearance joint to gradually rip itself apart. Two arthroscopies were insufficient to save it after the damage had been done, so now I am having a hip replacement in my late 30’s. It’s good that you learned about the FAI so early, hopefully the labrum is the only damaged component so far.

Can I reassure you that the outcome is likely to be very much better for her at her age. This is because her body is still in growth mode which means that any remedial surgery they do, like repairing the torn labrum, is much more likely to be successful.

Aww, @dapplega I'm sorry to read the news. It's difficult for your daughter to be dealing with this at her young age. It's so hard to see our kids suffer pain. I hope she's not suffering on a daily basis.

My DIL had the same, a bit older though at 28, she had the repair and is doing fine.

Hopefully Jo's words are reassuring to you. With 50 yrs experience I'm sure she's seen it all.
I'm hoping others will come along to share their experiences also. Please know we're here to offer support.
Hope your day is a peaceful one :)

Hi @dapplega
We have a young member recovering from hip arthroscopy for labral tear...a soccer playing young lady that reminded me of your daughter.
Wondering if you went forward with her repair surgery and if you/she had some insights into recovery.
She is not quite 3 months out and worried about ongoing discomfort.

I hope you are well...and your daughter.

Just closing the loop on this thread... :)
I posted the below update on the other young ladies recovery thread.

"I'm sorry you are suffering through this. I know it can be very unsettling as my daughter dealt with something similar at age 15. Below is what I posted regarding her situation 2 years ago. We did do the procedure and it has been successful including full return to activities. I asked my daughter if she was still uncomfortable 3 months out and she said she was. She did not have knee issues though. My experience with PT is that some of it should make you uncomfortable but not necessarily in pain. For me the upright stationary bike was more comfortable then the recumbent.
My daughter is available to talk directly if you are interested.
Stay positive and hang in there."

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member