Hip Arthroscopy Hip Arthroscopy 11 weeks post op

Teresaj

Country
Australia Australia
Hi, March 8th I had surgery on Left hip for a labral tear.
During surgery they found ( which would of pretty much caused all my problems) a major partial tear of ligementum teres with after 3.5 yrs a huge amount of inflammed synovial fluid and Grade 1 and 2 anterior labral tears. Did biopsy of fluid which came back ok... Although 3 wks prior to surgery my hands on waking are very stiff and sore for about 2 minutes and really hoping RA hasn't spread or arthritis. My hands are not letting up . ANYONE else had this.. I am getting worried.

To cut a long story short - about 3 yrs ago I started at a gym. The PT overstretched me and a few days later after doing a lot of squats in a class started having thigh pain. A couple of days later I had a fall on rocks at the beach- it all began! For the next 3.5 yrs I struggled with pain in thigh, numbness in thigh, pain in hip, shaking in sacrum and pain in periformis area, lower back, later right at the end in groin, stiff and no movement laterally at all, just a whole lot of instability. Pain on standing walking and I pretty much thrashed myself until surgery. My body was in constant pain, I was self medicating with Celebrex on and off for 2 yrs. But I had to work to afford surgery as I had no private health care.

After numerous consults finally got a MRI with contrast showed a labral tear. I also got told the normal things its gluteal tendinopathy, hip abductors, sacrum issues etc. Tried a stint of physio who in the end told me it was psychological and to go back to the gym. And since physio started the other leg showed signs of what the first leg did. Got a scan on the good leg and it also had a labral tear.

Hoping this may help someone in recovery and also if anyone else has anything to help be much appreciated.

Anyway, post op 8wks - Felt a lot better in first wk then I thought. First 8wks -Sleep every day up and down walking round a little. Celebrex for 30 days with 4-6 panadol osteo. Very steady PT changing any flares with exercise as I go.. Nothing to strenuous at all. Off crutches in 3 days. Raised Toilet seat for 4 wks was a life saver.
Stopped Celebrex maintained panadol but as physio increased so did pain panadol dosage suffered for about a wk trying to medicate- I was very paranoid about tendonitis and rang surgeon said to take Naproxen for 30 days it will still be very inflammed. Felt better almost immediately and off panadol although have taken 1 at night occasionally.
Can do basic housework - but still no touching toes ,on feet for to long half hr long enough, no putting on shoes etc any kind of deep bending uncomfy. only walking about 50 m a day in the house or a small job outside to tend to. Still need a nap daily. Working hard on trying to walk properly.

I have since in last few days had nerve sensations in thigh to bottom of foot - anyone else had this wondering if sciatica or just things starting to fire up.

Thanks in advance

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I will leave our Recovery Guidelines for THR as the info is also applicable for Hip Arthroscopy recovery, which can be just as long, if not longer than a Total Hip Replacement recovery. Both recoveries can take up to a full year, even longer for some.

I‘m not sure about your hand stiffness in the morning, I’m sorry you’re troubled by that. You may want to discuss the issue with your Primary Care Physician if it continues. Hopefully you’ll receive the reassurance you’re seeking.

Check out the forum for threads of others that also experienced Hip Arthroscopy. Here is a link for you - https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/hip-surgery-recovery-area.5/?prefix_id=147
I wish you all the best as you continue to heal. :)

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I have since in last few days had nerve sensations in thigh to bottom of foot - anyone else had this wondering if sciatica or just things starting to fire up.
I intended to address this above and forgot. I learned the following after doing a little research on the topic for THR, but would assume it applies for your procedure also -

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the forum! We’re here if you need us.

Thanks for that. I had very bad numb thigh before surgery if I slept on that side. Pretty good now no numbness just the tight front and back of thigh and this sensation toes. Thanks

Hi anyone out there had one done recently? I had a major ligamentum terres tear chondroplasty and labral tear debridement.
All I can find on this forum is mostly THR. I keep reading about FAI labral repairs which sound way more serious so their recovery stories seem bit different.
At 10 wks I have stopped the Naproxen and panadol osteo thankfully as I feel my liver is compromised. I was very nervous about this .Cutting physio back to x1 day instead of 2 as I don't want to take any pain relief. It is manageable but feel if I do x2 day will have to take panadol again. Am biking for only 3 mins a day and am doing very light physio which I feel is on par with my needs...
I can do basic housework, cook etc standing for longer periods but still napping in day and once leg has had enough a rest definitely helps. aiming to return to work in 2 wks but only in a 2hr stint of standing.

Hello, Thanks for the update. It’s nice to hear from you. Wondering if you’d feel better if you stepped away from the Physio for a few weeks? It may be worth a try.

Here is a link to others that experienced Hip Arthroscopy -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/hip-surgery-recovery-area.5/?prefix_id=147
I wish you all the best when you return to work in a couple weeks. Let us know how it’s going for you after a time. We’d love to follow your progress.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
You may post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I did change your thread title to reflect that you’re 11 weeks post op, instead of the 8 weeks post op it previously noted. :)
@Teresaj

Thanks after feeling so great for a wk today is a set back. I actually went underwear shopping yesterday bad mistake lifting the leg a few times!!!! And a long walk into vote at the election did not help!! Back on Panadol osteo hopefully not Naproxen. Have iced today and will again later..... such a bummer. Taking a break from physio for few days now. I feel the lying around hurts the sacrum area more.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you recovered after the set back you mentioned in your last post.
With any luck you bounced back quickly and it’s smooth sailing from here on out.
Wishing you only the best! :wave:
@Teresaj

Thanks, just had post op. Very volatile hip flares on walking. Off all meds though for now trying to take easy and not flare. Due to ligamentum terres majorally torn and inflamed synovial fluid going to take time apparantly

Wishing you comfort and relief, if you’re not feeling it yet, on this four month anniversary of your surgery. I hope brighter days are on the way.
Take good care!
@Teresaj

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker