Revision THR Hip and buttock pain'

I have Restless Leg issues which started for me in my 20s and quinine water helped in those early stages. I do suffer now with leg spasms, not cramps exactly. They don't seem to have anything to do with the hip replacement though. But when it happens in the replacement leg it can be frightening. Impossible to control. Magnesium helped as a supplement a bit but not entirely. However, I seem to have grown out of them now.
Haven't had any in quite awhile. The Restless Leg or Eckbom's Syndrome, which is a disease now, still plagues me. Had a terrible bout with it in the hospital after surgery. Drove me absolutely crazy for about 24 hrs because I couldn't get up and walk on my own. The nurse finally said I could get up and walk the halls without PT but with a tech which calmed it down. Bless her.
Hope you get some relief @zinfandel. Those cramps/spasms can be very painful.

@zinnia I get restless leg too and take requip for it. But can only take once a day. I’m going to try magnesium and quinine again and see if helps. Make the middle of the night a nightmare. I may ask my surgeon about a muscle relaxer too and see if helps.
Thank you for getting back to me. I hope your doing well!!!

@Mojo333 do the still sell quinine pills? I thought it may just be in club soda or the like. I’ll try anything at this point. It bothers me during day but at night it wakes me up and you want to tear your leg off ....lol
I hope time will help too. Thank you for your input!!! Much appreciated!!!

Hi @zinfandel
I'd try the water but maybe not the pills, which I'm not sure can even be obtained.
I think Mojo was referencing that quinine in pill form may be dangerous.
The water my mom drinks 4-6 ozs of before bed is called Q-Tonic which contains quinine.
Some of the tonic waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead, so read the labels.
Good luck and best wishes for some peaceful, uninterrupted sleep tonight :yawn: :sleep:

I take Mirapex @zinfandel, for the RLS. It was the tonic water with quinine in it that I took years ago but it does me no good now. It is too advanced for me. Right now it is in remission but it can out of its mind at any time. I sometimes get zero sleep even with the mirapex and hydrocodone on top of it and a sleeping pill! Bad stuff. I'm sorry you have it. Not for the faint of heart. A muscle relaxer might help those spasms though.
I keep track of you. I check in every day on you. Take care and keep up the good work. Doing so well. :catdance:

Agree with Layla, not all club soda has quinine. I've tried most all. My legs were just aggravated all the time and couldn't keep them still...more like severe restless legs, not muscle CRAMPS per se.
Very aggravating for months.

Last edited:
@Mojo333 and @zinnia and @Layla thank you so much. I was up from 1:30am till 5 am and they still bother me now even after PT. It could make you go crazy. PT said I could be dehydrated too. But I’ve had RLS for awhile but nothing like this. I may ask for your drug zinnia. Maybe my requip isn’t strong enough.

But on a positive note PT is listening to me that no weight at all on leg. We just did the exercises I could and some arm ones too. Funny arms aren’t in shape either. Lol.

Well I got a new pain Rx which I hope helps the restless leg for now. But last pain script so have to use judicially. Oh and my puppies come home from kennel today. Can’t wait to see them.

Thank you all for your support. Your the best!!

So good to hear the great attitude in your post, @zinfandel. Enjoy those pups! They will help you relax.
I take a med called Mirapex which is actually a drug for Parkinson's. RLS is a neurological/muscular problem so Mirapex addresses the similar symptoms. Requip is a newer drug, I think, used for RLS as well. But research all of the above. I may be mistaken on some of this.
The fact that your movements are so restricted is probably why you are experiencing RLS so badly. Movement is the best remedy for RLS. I even have in my arms and my upper body. . .the inside of my elbows can wake me up at night and did last night about 2 am. I was up until 5. Happily I slept until 8 after that trial.
Keep up the good work. Outlook is just about everything. This too shall pass and recovery will continue. Rest and relax and enjoy your pups.:puppysmooze:

I looked up your drug @zinnia not sure which is newer.
I’m getting calcium magnesium and quinine to try tonight. Lol.
How are you feeling? Is your recovery still going awesome?

Well leg cramps got better so maybe I was dehydrated. So at least that’s doing better.

However pulled back out twisting into wheelchair ugh. So been worried I’m putting too much pressure on bad leg. But not pain so I guess I’m doing ok. Back is a bit better today lots of rest and ice. PT even laid off Friday because my back was so bad then.

On a good note my friend and husband came for breakfast as they were up from VA. Now getting ready for Super Bowl. Puppy bowl first though. Lol

I hope everyone enjoys the game if you watch!!!

Sorry to hear about your back @zinfandel. Glad it is easing off. Enjoy the game. Watching with friends should be a good distraction for you.

I hope your back pain eases soon and that you enjoy the game. I have no understanding of American football whatsoever :heehee:

@Jackie222 my boyfriend is from England so I’ve tried teaching him. He’s now looking forward to game. Lol. Thank you for your well wishes.
@MammaT thank you so much

@MammaT ill be praying for you tomorrow and look forward to hearing about your recovery. You’ll do great!!!

Oh no! I'm so sorry @zinfandel
Thankfully your back pain is easing. Great news on the leg cramps lightening.
It sounds as though you had an enjoyable visit with your friend and her hubby. It sure helps pass the time in recovery.

Enjoy the Puppy Bowl and then the big game. I'm not a football fan but I will make snacks. Hubby can watch downstairs and scream at the tv, my daughter and granddaughter and I will stay upstairs, where it's safe and quiet :heehee: We'll tune in for the half time show......Go JT! Hope your week is good!

Hi Zin. Glad you've seen a little relief...
Relax, think positive, and know that we are rooting for you.:yay:

:hi:
Coming up on a month tomorrow, wondering how you're doing...
Hope to hear your back is better by now.
Give us an update when you feel up to it.
I hope all is well!
@zinfandel

@Layla things are ok. Back still bad and still in wheelchair for two more weeks. Pain is hardly there hip wise which is great. Just taking tramadol now.ive had 3back surgeries so it doesn’t suprise me my back is out from twisting in and out of wheelchair. Still trying to keep up with exercises as best I can. I get discharged from home pt for now tomorrow so see what dr says the 21st.

Thank you for asking!!! I hope you are doing well too!!

:goodpost: So glad things are going better

@zinfandel I liked your response to @MammaT! I couldn’t do crutches either. Several reason: not coordinated, short and chubby, large breasts- all make it rather comical. I hope you are doing better. I had hip fixed on January 17 and am 10% weight bearing also. That confuses me too. I can go steps but only 10% weight??!!! I have decided MammaT has the right idea- toe touch. Feel well.

Oh crutches were not my favorite thing at all. I was actually surprised I could use them without killing myself. I guess we just end up using what we need to. Happy I am using walker now. Will be happier when on cane. The main thing, whether chair, crutches or cane, it is great to have some device that gives us some mobility.

Hi @zinfandel
I'm sorry to hear about your back issues. I truly feel for those dealing with issues aside from
THR recovery alone. Being released from PT is a milestone. I know it seems all is moving slow...but in the right direction. Hope that back pain eases. Best wishes for your doctor appt in two weeks.
Hope you have a nice weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks
Back