Revision THR Hip and buttock pain'

So glad you are getting along so well, and you sound very positive.
That's a big help in recovery.
Hope all continues to get better and better :ok:

Hi there :wave:
I'll bet that 10% is tough. My heart goes out to you in that @zinfandel
You do have a wonderfully positive attitude. An attitude of gratitude
which is so refreshing. I'm glad you're mom is close by and able to help.
It sounds as though your boyfriend is a great caregiver so fortunately you're in good hands.
Warm wishes for a great week of recovery :friends:

@zinnia I am hoping you're doing well and had a good trip. I was wondering if you can help. I’m now two weeks out and feel so depressed and worried something is wrong with my hip. I moved funny last night and felt too much weight go on leg and it hurt.

I was able to still do some of my exercises today but it feels weird almost heavy. Any thoughts?

My mom thinks the oxycodone could be adding to the depression but being stuck in house isn’t helping. Have you felt that way at all? I’m just so worried about this surgery going wrong after my two others.

Any thoughts from anyone else would be appreciated too!!!

Thank you everyone!!

Hope @zinnia definitely pops in.
One month out this time...early early. Don't distress. Even early for first time.
You've had alot done.

I am sure the medication affects our mood...but pain is not good for mood our mood either.
I'm guessing alot comes from the anxiety of...is this going to work?
Try some distractions that have nothing to do with recovery...inane television shows, reading, something to give your mind a break.
Thinking of you and hoping you feel less blue.

Last edited:
Good morning @zinfandel. When I was non weight bearing/toe touch after labrum repair I remember an episode of putting too much weight on. I had some extra twinges afterwards. I told doc bout it and he assured me it would take more than a momentary lapse to do any damage. I honestly think some of the extra pain came from my reaction and tightening all of the muscles up.

I believe some of the pain meds can contribute to depression. You would also be highly unusual if you weren’t concerned about whether this will work. You have been through a lot. Like @Mojo333 suggests, find some sort of distraction-tv, games, reading, planning a great vacation for later this year.

Hope you have a better day today.

Happy Wednesday! @zinfandel
And you know what....it is happy because we all had a solution to our problem, PTL!
In the not so distant past people didn't have the options we now have. For many it would have
meant days / years spent in a wheel chair and you are waaaay too young for that! Can you imagine?
I know this recovery biz is difficult, frustrating and plain old boring. You have it way harder than I did with your weight bearing restrictions but your end result will be worth it. I'm so sorry that you had to go through
this twice but you'll make it, I know you will!

It sounds like you have a little Post Op Blues which can come and go, usually short lived. I'm sure you recall this from before. You're strong, you will get through this.

It's best if you have a variety of things to pass time and serve as a distraction.
If you like to cook, look for recipes online to bookmark for later, start writing in a recovery journal, or record your days of recovery here. Buy an adult coloring book and some brand new colored pencils, start a puzzle at your dining table, watch a series which is new to you on Netflix, play a board game with your boyfriend. Have a friend over for lunch ordering take-out, call some friends, old or new. Anything you enjoy that takes
your mind off recovery for a time. Try to come up with something new, out of the ordinary for you, to distract yourself with.

Since you're only two weeks post op......ice the area that is hurting as often as you're able.
I'll bet it's back to normal lickety split.

Sending you lots of love and a big warm hug!!
Hoping today feels brighter......

Thank you so much. I agree with the post surgery blues. I see my nurse tomorrow to have stitches out so I will feel better talking to her. [

USER=23176]@MammaT[/USER] I agree that I’m sure it would take more than just a momentary episode which makes me feel better.

@Layla thank you too. This site is great! I’m binge watching House of Cards right now. Lol. My boyfriend travels Sunday through Wed for work and my mom will come stay which will be a nice distraction. My pain isn’t too bad so I would think if I did something to it it would hurt much more. I cancelled PT today just to be cautious and see what Dr says tomorrow.

Thank you again for your kind words. Have a wonderful Wednesday!!!

Oh @zinfandel, I am so sorry to get back to you so late. I just picked up your message to me this am.
I would not worry any more, not a bit. I know exactly the fear you have! It is so hard to have to go the weight bearing restricted route. Add that to all the other pressures of recovery after a revision and you can't help but be depressed.
You've gotten good advice from all of the above. Not everyone has been through a revision as you have; it is a worrisome place to be. But it sounds to me like you are doing a great job at about 2 weeks out. You are doing the right stuff to distract yourself. . .House of Cards should do it for you! I have kept and am keeping a journal with this surgery too. Music helps me a great deal and/or a good juicy book.
I am about 7 weeks out from this second revision and doing well. Hang in there, try to relax more. You have a way to go yet so settle in and don't worry about that toe touching bit. A little misstep here and there will not make a bit of difference. My restrictions have been extended until March and I know I have over reached them more than once or twice.
You are right to stop PT if you need to step back and catch up emotionally with what is happening to you. It is a distressful time, don't let anyone tell you it isn't. Give yourself a few pats on the back for the good job you are doing for yourself, take a deep breath and then move back into your recovery. Remember the Bone Smart mantra and forgive yourself for any little misstep.
Good luck with the stitches. I'm sure the nurse will be reassuring and that all will be well when you see the doctor. Use Layla's ice tricks for that pain. It works especially with elevation and just plain resting a whole lot at 2 weeks. Time passes pretty quickly. I can't believe it's been 7 weeks for me. But you will get here too. You'll see. Remember this. . .you are stronger than you know. You are going to be just fine.
Have a great weekend with your mom. My daughter came in the early weeks for me and it was wonderful to have her there to cheer me up and help me pass the time. Enjoy the company! Good days ahead for you.
Keep us posted. It is wonderful to know you are doing so well. Even with your difficulties you are progressing. Big hugs for such a good job. Proud of you! :yes!::flwrysmile:

You sound much better @zinfandel. Very wise cancelling pt. I have several shows I plan on binge watching after February 5 and I won’t feel guilty! Good luck at doctor appointment.

Hope all is well with you, Zin. Wishing you a peaceful weekend!:roseshwr:

Thanks everyone and @zinnia you have some great points. Drs appt went good. I’ll be non weight bearing for another 4 weeks so back in wheelchair and discuss with PT. Just doing non weight bearing exercises to strengthen my muscles but before that they had me on 10% so I’m glad I saw Dr. He took xray and all looked good so far. See him in 4 weeks. House of cards is keeping me busy and I’m thankful for all of you!!!
Everyone on here is so kind!!! Thank you again everyone for your kind words!! Keep you posted.

I am so happy to hear about your progress, @zinfandel; House of Cards is a great series to binge watch while you are resting your hip. Sorry about the non-weight bearing restriction. That's terribly difficult, I know. But you sound like you are settling into the regime of it and you are to be congratulated for it. Keep up the good work and do keep us posted. :ok:

Hi @zinfandel
Wonderful news on the doctor's visit.
I'm happy to hear it went well for you.
Hoping this week will be peaceful and relaxing as you continue to heal!

Has anyone suffered from severe muscle spasms in lower legs post surgery? I’m having the worst day and night but night the worst. Pain meds help slightly but I’ll only have that for a few more days. Thank you everyone!

@zinfandel Is this spasms or leg cramp? Many people complain of restless leg and cramping post op. For some a magnesium supplement works. You don't need much though. Here's an article from our Library that might help: Magnesium is a star

Hi @zinfandel
Not sure exactly what type of leg cramps you're suffering but I know first hand that
Magnesium, as Jaycey mentioned above, may make them cease. Both my hubby and mom
suffered the calf cramps that wake you from a dead sleep, causing you to bolt out of bed.
My mom also told me simply drinking 4-6 ozs of Quinine water before bed works too.
Something to consider if you feel it pertains....
I hope your recovery is moving along smoothly otherwise.
A great week to you!

THank you. They are the type of cramps that do wake you up. I even have then during the day. I will definitely try the magnesium and quinine. Thank you again!!

Not sure what affect magnesium will have on calf cramps but I used to drink some club soda with quinine to see if it would help. Not really so much.
I certainly wouldn't take quinine pill supplements...the following info is what I learned when I researched then.
The efficacy of quinine in preventing cramp is limited and is outweighed by the risk of severe thrombocytopenia, which may be fatal.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom