Revision THR Hip and buttock pain'

zinfandel

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone I want to say thank you again for the well wishes. The dr was very happy in that it was just only the cup that was loose. So he because he grafted and put some screws in and hopefully will be great. I will be 10% touch for 6 months which sucks but PT went well yesterday I’ve had no sleep unfortunately due to fluid control machine.... just Beebe and you.
I will continue to keep you all posted!!

Glad to hear you are all through. Hope you are able to rest...physically and mentally now!
Having hugs:console2:

Welcome to the other side @zinfandel ! Hope you are finally getting some much needed sleep. Let me know if you want me to start your recovery thread on the post op area.

Glad it is over with @zinfandel. Agree that 6 months with 10% touch can suck, but just focus on final goal

@Jaycey Thank you as I could not figure out how to start new post op post.

@MammaT yeah it will be long but look forward to pain free days ahead.

Now that you have your own recovery thread I'll post your recovery articles here for you to refer to if needed. Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread so that we have a history in one place if we need to advise you.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @zinfandel, glad the procedure went well. Sorry you’ve got to wait 6 months for full weight bearing. I’m sure it’ll go quicker than you think. I hope you are able to get some sleep later. :flwrysmile:

Thank you!!! When I get home I’ll relax. Lol.

Welcome Back, @zinfandel :flwrysmile: Rest, rest, rest! Enjoy a good book, arm chair travel via the internet, and plan what you will do once you have healed. New day dawning!:SUNsmile:

So good to hear from you @zinfandel. Wonderful that the surgery went well. The six months is a bit of a bummer, but I faced a similar situation with my first revision because of the pelvic fracture. It can be done. You'll learn how to manage it and the time will go by quickly; meanwhile you can get all those little tasks you've been putting aside done.

Here's hoping you get some much needed sleep. That dreaded part is over. Don't look back; your recovery is your future. Good luck, good wishes and hugs for brighter days.

Hi @zinfandel
Welcome back to the recovery side.
It's great to hear you're doing well and had a good PT session.
I hope you were able to sneak in a nap or two today.
Best wishes for a restful evening. Keep us posted!

Thank you everyone. It’s six weeks toe touch sorry if I said 6 months. Been so stressed. Had a bad day today. Took the PCA for pain away and the oxy 10 is barely touching pain. Trying to go to bathroom was a nightmare. I’m crying now. Ugh. Sorry to lay this on all of you but maybe you have some advice. Thanks!!

Hi @zinfandel
I'm so very sorry to hear you're struggling.
Wish I was there so I could give you a hug. It's going to be all right, really it is.

Recovery can get overwhelming, I'm sure you recall that from prior surgeries.
Fatigue could be playing a part if you're lacking sleep and you could have a little Post Op Blues. It will pass.

I'm wondering if you're icing enough in an effort to combat pain and swelling.
If you're not, consider doing so more frequently. Also, if you feel your pain could be better managed,
I'd suggest you phone the office of your O.S. Someone should be on call and able to help you.

Hang in there, I'll bet things will look brighter tomorrow. If you want to come back for comfort or company, please do. There is usually someone around to offer advice or encouragement.
Hugs to you!

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/

Last edited:
Oh, @zinfandel so sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. From reading many of our fellow Bonesmartees stories, most have had their good days and yes, some very bad days. It's to be expected after all you have been through. Healing slowly is still healing. ((hugs :console2:))) Better days ahead! :praying:

I agree with trying more icing if you can. Ask for one thing different for pain. Different meds work better for some people than others.

Well that certainly is a relief @zinfandel; 6 weeks is much better than 6 months. Whew! Actually, I had 50% for about 4 - 6 weeks followed by 25% for another 4 - 6 weeks. It's a common restriction.

On a level from 1 to 10 what is the level of your pain uncontrolled? What level is it on the oxy? (oxycodone or oxycontin?). If they stopped the PCA and didn't provide you meds to control the pain then get in touch with your doctor and/or tell your nurse on duty what has happened. Your pain must be controlled so you can begin a true recovery.

What exactly are the bathroom problems? I remember some of the ones I had but I need more information to respond to the difficulties you are having.

We have all been through the tears at one stage or another. If you know exactly what yours stem from would you share them with me? Sometimes we don't know why we are crying; it's just the stress of it all. It is no small thing to go through a surgery of any kind. You are still coming out from under the anesthesia. Sometimes we unrealistically feel that things should be closer to perfect after surgery than they are; a huge disappointment. You are not alone if this is your distressing thought now. But don't fear, things will be much, much better but it will take time and, as I have been told more times than enough by others on BS, it will take patience. Lots of it and a confidence that your body will heal itself with lots of rest, ice for the pain and elevation for that tired, healing hip.

Be easy on yourself. Don't expect great things from that body right now. Give it time and some help with a positive attitude, controlled pain and an appreciation of small steps. By the way, you don't know what a big thing it is as far as recovery goes that it was only the acetabulum implant your OS had to fix. A big thing!

The BS folks are with you all the way, holding your hand, sending you hugs, lots of advice based on their own experiences and caring a whole lot about you. Have a beautiful weekend resting, icing and elevating and remember. . . .we are here; the doors are always open. Sending you a big bunch of sunflowers :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Those miserable first days...hope pain gets managed so you can get some much needed rest.
Sympathy hugs :console2:
Yay for cup being fixed and no other issues.
Bet that eases your mind a bit.
On your way to better days, hang in there Zinfandel....:ice:

Thanks everyone!!!! @zinnia my pain level was at a 6/7 with PCA which was dilaudid after it went up to 9 (just on oxy 10)which like I just said to the dr is making it hard to stick to the 10% toe touch. He will talk to Pain team and see what they can come up with. “What a pain”.

As far as bathroom it’s getting there and sitting on what they have as a commode. I don’t remember it being so hard the last time space wise, I know I gained some weight but should t cause that feeling.

My tears are a combination of anxiety, depression and just plain old pain. My heart rate has been up everyday which is my anxiety. I’m so scared something will go wrong again!!

I should be so grateful as I have a boyfriend at home who transformed the living room into almost a bedroom for me to heal and not just be stuck in room. Here’s where I wish we did have a two bedroom though. The beaches at Delaware aren’t too cheap. Lol

I’m icing plenty yet I have to always remember to ask. Lol

Thank you for truly being concerned and understanding. This is therapeutic just in its self from my hospital bed.

It can be tricky trying to get your pain management cocktail just right. Sounds like staff will be working with you on this which is good! Hope you can get some rest!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom