Hip #2 Coming Right Up!

NanaKP

senior
Country
United States United States
Today I woke up thinking that tomorrow marks the 4 week countdown to hip #2 (or my BOGO, as someone else referred to their hip that way!) As the countdown starts, I have started my list of things to stockpile so my husband doesn't have to run to the store every few days (laundry soap, shampoo, papergoods, dog food, Aleve, etc.)

I'm not only approaching 4 weeks pre-op, I'm approaching 10 weeks post-op on Wednesday from my first THR. The relief I am feeling having this forum to turn is tremendous, also knowing what to expect this time around doesn't hurt! I had physical therapy on Friday, it was the first time in two weeks. Kicked my ever-loving fanny, let me tell you what. I go again tomorrow and then not again until the week of 7/15. We are working to get the post-op hip, leg, muscles, ligaments as strong and limber as possible before 8/6.

I know several people on here have had bi-lateral hips (I stand in total and complete awe of you) and many have had the 2nd done or are scheduled. Any tips, hints, suggestions from all of y'all??? I am hoping that I will have a smoother recovery this time around since I know what to expect - I was completely knocked for a loop that last time around. My high bar was soon knocked down several notches as I realized it wasn't a "you'll be up and going so quick, you'll be surprised!" after all. What I had NOT read anywhere, until I found this lovely forum, was that it takes TIME - time to heal, time to rest and not everyone is the same. I also learned that PT can be more detrimental than it is good in some cases. I NEEDED to hear that.

I read, no scratch that, I ABSORBED story after story after story that first day of my discovery. At one point, I was in tears. I finally KNEW that I wasn't crazy nor weak nor being a "big baby" and my rate of healing was going along pretty "normal". It was like the clouds opened up and the sun came shining down on me (okay, that may be a bit dramatic but you get the picture!)

I'll end my rambling now. I have been on ice today after driving an hour each way to my youngest daughter's yesterday. I thought I could set the cruise then do butt/thigh squeezes the entire way there and back . . . it would be a GOOD thing, I thought. Did I mention I tend to set the bar a little high from time to time? Though it helped pass the time in metro Denver traffic, I woke up slightly regretful!!!

Happy Sunday evening everyone!
NanaKP (aka Kim)

Hi Nana- I hit my 4 week pre-op tomorrow, and getting nervous. Trying to focus on the positive posts from those who say they wished they'd done it sooner. I hope I fall into that category when it's all said and done. Three months seems like a reasonable amount of time to go for #2. One more month and #1 should be over the primary healing phase, right? I'm also glad to see the posts about PT and not over-doing it. Good information to know going in.

@NanaKP
Thinking of you this morning as you achieve double hippy status!
No more bad hips!:chuckmarch:
Will look forward to hearing from you when you are able!:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022