THR Hike’s Recovery

how about bribing those pesky hurting bits.....promise them a stretch out on the settee with a big bar of chocolate, and a totally lazy day in return for dialling down the grumbles :yes!:

Wondering how you are @hikejunkie?
Hope things are calming down with that new hip.
Post when you can, I am hoping your weekend will be sweet.:SUNsmile:

:hi: Hope the traveling salesman of pain has been away on vacay. How dare he be so annoying :gaah:
Hope your days have been brighter....
Wishing you a fun, happy, sunny, pain free weekend!
@hikejunkie

:wave:

Noticing more range of motion. Cool beans. Those pain pokes continue but as long as they don’t stay consistently in one spot I’m not going to worry about it. Just part of the recovery process. I’m back to work on Monday (meh) and advised PT this coming Wednesday will be my last visit. It will be too stressful and I’ll be fine listening to my body as I increase my activity level.

I’m having a major issue with the arthritis I have on the top of my left foot. :umm:When I started attempting to go down the stairs normally it did not like it one bit.:hissy: It’s been inflamed since so I’m going down them one at a time. It’s also keeping me from doing some standing exercises (calf raises for example) so I don’t do them. I’ve changed the laces on my sneakers so the bump (like half a golf ball on top of foot) isn’t pressed on. Walking is ok with mild to moderate pain most days. I have an appointment with foot guy who practices at same place as my hip surgeon on May 11. I’ve seen him previously and know I have to have surgery to clean it up but I need hip to be fully healed and stronger than it is since I’d be relying more on it postop. I want to see what he can do to help while I delay surgery for a bit. I’ll admit I’m quite bummed out over it. I knew it was going to be a problem but at the same time just feeling like will this stuff ever end? :hairpulling:

Onward....:walking:

So sorry hike.
I would help it hurry up if I could.
Those zippy zaps are annoying to say the least.
Thinking about you:yes:

So sorry @hikejunkie
It seems like if it's not one thing, it's another
The joys of an aging body....this getting old biz is not for sissies!
I've had an ongoing issue with my Achilles that holds me back at times, so I feel your frustration.
Hope you find tolerable ways around it until it can be addressed.
Enjoy the day!

Sending hugs @hikejunkie and hope that things settle down for you soon. Maybe something in the pool will help? :console2:

:wave: Hope everyone is doing well.

@AJinNH - pool opens in a few weeks. It’s not heated so will be cold but I’ll be in it. Will be like exercise and icing at the same time. :heehee:

Tuesday will mark 9 weeks postop. Had my last PT visit last week. I’ve taken several rides on my bike and just started adding resistance. Haven’t increased walking length due to OA on top of foot.:umm: Started lifting light weights. Hip is not a fan of lifting heavy but ok with lighter. Able to do mostly standing yoga poses and I’m way off balance - I think this is just strength related. Still ice afterwards but not sure it’s necessary.

Foot continues to be a BIG bother. :oyvey:I have no idea how soon I could have the surgery to clean it up but I need to get it done as soon as I can. If I can’t weight bear postop it’s going to be awhile. It hurts constantly just like good old OA always does. My stomach is not a fan of even Tylenol at this point since I was taking so many meds pre and post op for the hip. See doc on Friday.

Not much else to report other than occasionally feeling like my body is one big pile of woe. Good old boring recovery moving forward in slow increments in spite of the bump in the road the foot brings.

Hi @hikejunkie
It's nice to hear from you and I can't believe it's been 9 weeks already.
I'm sorry your foot is bothering you. It must be putting a damper on your recovery.
I hope you're able to get it resolved soon, too bad it involves another surgery.
Aside from that, you'd be in good shape. Hope Tank and Izzy are doing well.
Enjoy the day!

Hi Hike - sorry to hear your foot is playing up, if it's not one thing it's another when you get past about 40 :doh:Has your knee sorted itself out now (re-read the first page of your thread but didn't have a couple of years to do the rest, so I may have missed it!) As for swimming in an unheated pool....hmmm either your Mays are a lot warmer than what I'm used to or you're a very stoical lady!

I used to know a lady who had bad arthritis in her ankle.....she swore by her moonboot when it was bad, she said the support not only helped with the weakness but also helped the pain a bit.

@Layla - Tank and Izzie are doing great! :doggie::doggie:

@anny - knee has calmed down considerably. The pool is getting filled next week but won’t open until last week in May. It’s usually on the cold side but not bad once you’re in.

Two months down...sorry it seems so slow but hopefully all will keep improving.
:ice:Icing and :swim:swimming
:loll:
Hope you have a Good Day!

Happy 9 weeks tomorrow @hikejunkie , I’m 7 weeks today! We’re getting there.

Exercising and icing sounds perfect to me. I’m going to a pool tomorrow for some walking and gentle swimming. I’ll let you know how I make out after.

I hope your foot feels better soon. It must be difficult to try and concentrate on getting your hip better with a painful foot. I hope that you find something that helps with the pain.

Hugs!

Hi Hike.....missing your progress reports, hope all is well and that painful foot is giving you a break :fingersx: Have a good weekend, hopefully lots of spring sunshine your way :flwrysmile:

@anny - hello! :wave:Hope all is well with you. :) Very kind of you to ask about me.

The midfoot arthritis is still there. I’ve elected to not go through surgery at this point. It would involve fusing the bones, surgery is lengthy (~2.5 hours) and I’d be non-weight bearing for 10-12 WEEKS. :oyvey:So I’ve gotten custom orthotics and am using Voltaren gel. I’m amazed how well the orthotics are doing. Pain is minimal now and my back pain is gone.
As for my beloved new hip, I’ll be at 11 weeks postop on Tuesday. :loveshwr:Cool beans. I’m back on my spin bike and clocked my first 60 minute ride last week. I’m back doing virtual races, which I love, and finished Moscow (26 miles) yesterday. I don’t think I’ll get back on my road bike. We’ll see. With two hips done I’m more paranoid of a fall. Haven’t hit the trails yet - giving it a bit more time.

Hope everyone is doing splendidly. :thumb:

I am glad to hear you are seeing improvement.
I am also much more cautious about things that can mess this up for me...especially with a few "near misses" too remind me.
Hope today is a Good Day @hikejunkie

@hikejunkie just checking in. Happy you are doing so well and that the orthotics are helping with the foot. We just opened our pool this week. I’m going to try it out later today and see how that goes. Luckily ours is heated. I’m not as brave as you! Any pool exercises you recommend?

What wonderful progress! @hikejunkie
I'm happy to hear you're doing so well and have found a solution to easing the foot pain.
Long may it work! That's a lengthy surgery and amount of time to be non weight bearing.
Thanks for updating, it was a great one to read.
A peaceful week to you.

So glad the pain in your foot is under control Hike.....the last thing you want at the moment is more time on crutches! Spinning.....I love spinning but haven't dared to even think about going back to classes....you've inspired me to dust down my trusty old spinning bike at home and give it a little try....I particularly like the idea of virtual journeys, haven't done those before so will have to investigate. Put some floats on your bike wheels and drop by NZ next time :heehee: I don't do much 'outside' biking.....osteoporosis and now the hip make me too aware of what I might lose if I fell off (which is quite likely as I'm not the most confident of cyclists :umm:) but it's a small thing to give up for the benefit of more mobility and no pain. Another benefit I found out today (taking my younger daughter back to the airport) is that she has long-term problems with her knees (she's pretty sporty) and has been told she will probably need at least one replacement in the next few years (she's 25).....I would have been so worried at her age, but she's quite blase about the whole thing, having seen my new hip.....silver lining!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom