BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app will be discontinued February 1, 2018 so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Hike’s Pre-Op

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by hikejunkie, Nov 18, 2017.

1. hikejunkie

hikejunkie member

United States United States
    hello everyone - had my LTHR in January 2012 and it looks like my right hip is now arthritic. I’m nervous to have it replaced even though my first one was much easier than I expected. I’ll be alone this time so that’s contributing to the nervousness.

Anyway, with the first one the pain was in one spot in the groin. Hurt awful and there was no doubt it was the hip.

This time it’s everywhere so I keep telling myself it must be something other than the hip. Pain in lower back, outer thigh (had injection for bursitis before we knew it was OA), inner thigh, outside of knee, inside of knee, shin, middle of leg crease. It’s not in the same spot all the time! Of course, I have all the other symptoms of inability to walk long distance, constant aching and limited range of motion but the worst pain is in the middle of leg crease not down in groin. It’s odd.

I’m trying to make the decision on replacement as it’s bone on bone in one spot with small amount of joint space left otherwise. But I keep questioning if it’s just the hip!

Did anyone have these random pain patterns? Will help to know I’m not crazy AND arthritic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MammaT

MammaT post-grad

Hi @hikejunkie - I had a lthr in 2016 and my right is now getting into the act. It also does not hurt in the same spots as the left. My right hip has some slight space left but nothing to be excited about. I'm not an expert, but my personal opinion is that it depends upon where the joint is the worse influences where the pain it. I have my right hip scheduled for February. After letting my left get to the point where I was totally miserable, I am trying to avoid that as much as possible. I lived alone for my hip replacement, and I had no problems. Set stuff up ahead of time so it would be accessible, etc. I don't think you are crazy and arthritic (at least in terms of hips!).

Good luck with your decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No 2 hips are alike so yes, the pain in this one can be very different. Have you had an x-ray. If they have already confirmed arthritis in that hip my advice would be to get it replaced ASAP. The longer you wait the more impact on the rest of your body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hikejunkie

hikejunkie member

Thank you MammaT and Jaycey! Yes, I’ve had an x-ray which showed the results I mentioned. I have an appointment with my orthopedist on 29 November for follow up. At least I know each hip is different so I don’t have to question everything. It’s right there in the X-ray and quite obvious what the problem is but I’m fighting against the evidence! Fear I guess.

My hesitation isn’t just that I’ll be alone but will have to board my two dogs for at least 4 weeks and I’ll miss them terribly. Family and friends just can’t do it. Why does everyone have cats or huge dogs? :heehee: Mine are little and one hates cats.

I’ll need to push it to March as it’s coming into the winter months here and I wouldn’t be able to shovel snow preventing any help coming to my place. Plus I need to put some funds away to pay for boarding the dogs. I’m currently taking Celebrex which helps a little (very little surprisingly) and am in physical therapy to get stronger for post-op.

Onward. Thanks again!

5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

All of my pain from the end stage OA was in my lower back and seemed like sciatica down mostly one leg. And my shin!
    These symptoms had much time spent on back imaging....MRIs and bone scans. Never made it down to my hips? It was two years before finally a neurologist ordered my hip X-ray's and said bone on bone. He said no PT will help, no injections will help.
    I was stunned. I never thought nor did anyone suggest it could be from my hips.
    I'm sorry you don't have the support you did last time, but I did have exact same pain so I think you definitely have the culprit.
    Bad gait and one good hip you need to keep fit...sounds like its time.
    We are rooting for you.

6. hikejunkie

hikejunkie member

Thank you Mojo333! The shin! That one confused me and PT. I also had MRI of lumbar spine because symptoms were presenting like sciatica. A week of prednisone took away some inflammation but I was confused as to why there was still pain. Thus, trip to LTHR ortho and there it was.

I’m sorry you went through that but am grateful to hear of someone else having similar symptoms to mine. It really helps with my decision. I’ll keep up with PT until it’s time for surgery. I’ve been sitting around too much and need to get stronger. I did this last time and I believe it had a lot to do with how well recovery went.

As for the help, my son was still home last time. He was 17 and a senior in high school. Although I love him, he was a horrible caretaker so in essence I was on my own anyway. :heehee: But he did feed the dogs so there’s that.

7. Mojo333

My 24 year old son popped in to "help" some. Not so much....
    You can do this. Hope your day is peaceful.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Bumblebee

Bumblebee member

Reading through all the experiences here on this forum has convinced me that symptoms don't always match textbook diagnosis. I was...ok, am,...hesitant having THR because I don't have pain walking like many do, but I have groin, lower back and alot of knee spasms, those take my breathe away! Like you said the pain travels. Sometimes my knee hurts on the outside, sometimes the inside. Not while walking, thats the kicker, but laying down. Range of motion in my leg is so limited without pain. Sitting for any length of time is out of the question because getting back up, my hip is stuck in gear. Outer thigh pain on both sides at night, tossing and turning all night long.:tantrum: Then a knee spasm when I turn. :thud:

I tried to convince myself all I needed was PT, or a good sports massage since I felt it was just a groin pull.....but those things just made the pain worse so did simple stretching. Then I thought maybe it's bursitis....Although MRI showed none. So I iced. Again, the pain remained. In the end I guess we need to trust the experts and their medical detective expertise. Here's to all this pain going away after surgery...even if it takes awhile.
    :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
  9. hikejunkie

hikejunkie member

Hi Bumblebee - regarding walking pain, how far are you walking? Previous hip I was stopped in my tracks going to my mailbox which isn’t far at all. It was like I woke up one morning and bam! bone on bone. With this one I can make it to the mailbox easily, with my ever present limp. But if I take my dogs for what used to be our normal long walk, half way through I’m struggling. So now we do short walks and I walk with a limp but it’s not super painful and I can tell myself it’s not that bad!! :heehee: We’re all not having the life we should because of this hip.

I started with massage therapy, then went to acupuncture, and neither helped. I trust my orthopedist and at the same time wasn’t understanding my symptoms and thought we were missing something. I saw my X-ray and I still fought against what was right in front of my face. The exercise I’m doing now fires things up a bit but I want to be stronger post-op so I keep at it. I see you’re scheduled for surgery in February. I’m sure you’ve heard from others and I will also say that replacing my other hip was a very good decision. First week was the toughest and then it got better every day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bumblebee

Bumblebee member

I can walk 1 or 2 miles. After that or sometimes after 1 mile my lower back stiffens up. I don't have any groin, knee or leg pain while walking though. When I lay down and try to move my leg that's when my knee and groin hurt. It seems to me like hip impingement because certain moves cause a very sharp groin and knee pain. Same thing happens if I am standing and adduct my leg. A variety of moves can produce the pain. Maybe @Josephine can weigh in on this likelihood. The x-rays and MRI just showed moderate to severe hip OA. My OS said he has operated on some worse and some better. So maybe I'm in the middle. When it hurts it sure doesn't feel like the middle.

:groan:

• Like Like x 1
  11. mydog

mydog member

Hi Hikejunkie - I had my left done in 2015 and gearing up for my right in early winter. The pain for both were quite different - I was practically crippled by the time I had my left. My right, according to the xrays, is in just as bad shape as the left was, but I don't seem to be in as much pain - probably because I have at least one good leg to stand on :) This time around I have pretty severe knee pain - I also limp and walk very slowly. Quick ? - why are you boarding your dogs for 4 weeks? I was only planning on boarding mine for 10 days or so...but she is very small so I am hoping that she won't pull me if I have to walk her while using a cane....

12. hikejunkie

hikejunkie member

hi mydog - 4 weeks because of precautions (90 degree thing) unless something has changed since 2012. My recollection is they were removed around that time. I will recover alone and don’t have a yard to let them out in, they must be walked. I could figure out a way to get them leashed but I couldn’t bend down to put their dog dishes down or pick them up. It’s right leg so not sure when I can drive either.

13. Jaycey

Plastic food bowls and a grabber that locks in place to pick up and put down dishes. Or the golfer's reach if you have something to hold on to to keep you steady.
    golfersreach.jpg

14. hikejunkie

hikejunkie member

Hi Jaycey - that could work although not right away. I’ve still got the issue of walking them. Although small the newer addition to my life pulls quite a bit. Just want them, and myself, safe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Since you haven't yet had surgery, it's entirely possible that it happens as you've described.

16. hikejunkie

hikejunkie member

I’m continuing to do PT to get stronger and therapist told me I’ve got SI joint issues. She sees this because my ankles don’t meet sometimes. Everything was even postop from LTHR in 2012. We do some exercises and it actually helps! Of course, it doesn’t stay that way.

Due to the fact the pain is so different from the first hip (not specific to groin area) I continue to drive myself nuts thinking there must be something else other than the hip causing my pain. Like oh, see?, it’s the SI joint causing the pain and not the hip. The bottom line is I just don’t want to do the replacement so I sit around dreaming up ways to avoid it. Meantime I’m limping around doing damage to other body parts, I’m sure.

I see orthopedist on Wednesday to discuss everything. Just needed to vent a bit. My mind is driving me bonkers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mojo333

Many on this forum describe their hip pains manifesting themselves differently. And describe their recoveries as different.
    I certainly appreciate you want to be sure this is what is needed. Hope you get definitive answers.:) :-) (:

18. hikejunkie

hikejunkie member

I know, Mojo33, I know. :) Sigh. It’s the dogs. Friends and family have all basically said they can’t imagine me being without them for a month. So, I’ve stopped talking about it because they mean well, but it’s not helpful. There’s been some good suggestions about it in this thread but it won’t work having them here. I’d keep them here in a heartbeat if I truly thought we’d all be safe.

I trust where I will board them, it’s just me being a problem to myself. Some may think I’m being a big baby about it and I will agree. Others may think I’m ridiculous and I’ll half agree. :)

I’ll get definitive answers Wednesday and check back in.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Jaycey

I limped around for 3 years saying the same thing - it's not the hip. By the time I saw someone about my hip it had collapsed. Believe me - you don't want that pain.

I hope you get some confirmation during your appointment. I look forward to your update on it.

20. kmgraxy

kmgraxy senior

I have had a knee and hip replaced and returned home alone both times. I cared for my two small dogs without issue. I am scheduled for another hip next month and plan to do it again. Can you get them to an outside door? I have a fenced in yard now but didn't when I was non-weight bearing after an ankle fusion. I put four screw eye hooks on the outside door frame waist high and attached both ends of the dog tie out clips to these hooks. My dogs are obedience trained so they would sit by me and I could unclip one end of the leash from the hook to their collar and off they went. It worked out well. Just a suggestion. Feeding and water I did with the grabber. I hope you can work it out to have your dogs with you.

• Like Like x 1